As some of you may know, I purchased a Mesa 4x12 Recto cab a couple days ago. Today I picked up a speaker cable and finally got to try it out. It has 4 English made V30s in it which I think are rated at around 70 watts.
I plugged it in to the 8 ohm mono jack on the cab and into 1 of the 8 ohm inputs on my Tiny Terror combo. It sounds really good but I expected it to be quite a bit louder using the 4x12 compared to the 1 G12H30 that it comes stock with. In fact, it almost seems quieter with the cab than with just the 1 speaker. Is this normal?
I've read that since the TT is only 15 watts, each speaker is effectively only getting around 3.5 watts but I guess that could be incorrect but it may explain the volume difference. I'm just not sure.
I was only able to put the amp to a little over 2 on the dial with the gain cranked tonight but that is actually higher than I normally would play it on with just the stock speaker for fear that my neighbors would call the police. I'm confused.
Last edited by supergohan931 at Jul 23, 2013,
Wait until you can hear it with the volume turned up properly so the V30's are actually moving. Each speaker isn't getting 3.5 W with the volume on 2, it will be in milliwatts.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've got to crank my 18W'ers pretty hard into my 1960 before it starts to boogie. Give it a 5 second blast. Let 'em call the cops, by the time they start to dial you're finished. If they ever say anything you can pass it off as an accident.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've got to crank my 18W'ers pretty hard into my 1960 before it starts to boogie. Give it a 5 second blast. Let 'em call the cops, by the time they start to dial you're finished. If they ever say anything you can pass it off as an accident.

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Cathbard

I did try that once when I first got the amp and I didn't get through 1 chord before the lady downstairs was screaming like crazy. It's almost midnight now and I don't think it would be appreciated tonight unfortunately. I'll probably have to wait till they're gone sometime this weekend before I can really test it out.
Yeah, midnight's a bit late. But like I said, just say, "sorry, it was an accident." If that doesn't work, tell them to go **** themselves.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification