So up to this point, I've mostly just been learning riff after riff and not really progressing with my playing at all. But I'm looking at my playing from the big picture, and I'm getting to the point where I'm gonna have to start playing some lead work to actually progress. I practice slow and work my way up to fast, and I can usually get the fingering down within a couple of days or so. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to pick things like that. Now, everyone I see from pros to just advanced players all make some sort of sweeping motion, and it just seems like a really good way to pick. So my question is, what is it, and how can I get started on doing it?
I have no idea what you're talking about. There are several different ways to pick something depending on what it is. And on that note, what you should be practicing is not riffs or leads but actual songs as a whole.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Are you talking about sweep picking? i don't really know what your question is, learn whole songs not just riffs and licks
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
TS, no one has any idea what you're talking about. An actual example of what you mean would really help.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, think about it logically, watch live videos and lessons, see tabs.

If you are learning by ear, take the time to find a tab. Looking at it will help you with picking directions and whatnot.

When your question is more specific we can help then
Now, everyone I see from pros to just advanced players all make some sort of sweeping motion, and it just seems like a really good way to pick. So my question is, what is it, and how can I get started on doing it?

I guess you're talking about sweep-picking? Search, and you will find. There is a ton of information on the internet.
baab