Hi guys, i have a question. I want to buy a Telecaster. But i don't know if telecaster can handle hard rock. This is going to be my first guitar and i probably don't buy any pedal or an expensive amp.
I want to buy a Squier Affinity Telecaster.
And these are my favourite bands:
Foo Fighters
Nirvana
RHCP
Led Zeppelin
Pearl Jam
Muse

Do you guys think telecaster can handle these tones?
It worked in The Clash. You can get a Tele with humbuckers, or any other combination you can imagine. I'd say yep- definitely. I'd also say that you should avoid the traditional 2 single coil model. It's probably too "quack"y for your purposes. But then, you may invent a new sound that works for you. Work with what you've got.
John 5. Need I say more.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
I reckon it would sound great for the bands you listed. From personal experience, the Squier Standard series is a lot better the the Affinity ones, I'm not sure of the price difference though.

I changed the 3 way switch to a 4 way one for about £5, the extra position is hum cancelling and gives a thicker tone that you may find useful. Its not hard to o at all
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
Last edited by Minimallamb at Jul 24, 2013,
Single coils would work fine for those bands. Better I think. Led Zeppelin used teles on a few albums, Kurt used single coils, RHCP uses single coils, and the other bands are really gain heavy.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The short answer is yes. A Tele should be able to handle the tones of the bands you've listed.

However, the long answer is that the amp and/or pedals you're using will dictate just how well the Tele (or any guitar for that matter) will handle your desired tones. Also, your hands (aka technique) will also be a determining factor in whether or not you will get the desired results.

So yes, a Telecaster can handle the heavier tones you're seeking, but only if you have an amp, pedals, and the technique to go along with it.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by scorpio2billion
It worked in The Clash. You can get a Tele with humbuckers, or any other combination you can imagine. I'd say yep- definitely. I'd also say that you should avoid the traditional 2 single coil model. It's probably too "quack"y for your purposes. But then, you may invent a new sound that works for you. Work with what you've got.

Yeah, but problem is unfornately i don't have enough money to cost a humbucker tele. They are really expensive (i dont know about us, though. i live in turkey) for me.

And i have another question;
1) 400$ standart telecaster(2 single coil) + 100$ amp
2) 300$ affinity telecaster(2 single coil) + 200$ amp

Which One?

And can someone help with the pedal for future. I want a overdrive/distortion(they are kinda same thing i guess). Thanks for answers btw!
Last edited by snaxyz at Jul 24, 2013,
Quote by snaxyz
Yeah, but problem is unfornately i don't have enough money to cost a humbucker tele. They are really expensive (i dont know about us, though. i live in turkey) for me.

And i have another question;
1) 400$ standart telecaster(2 single coil) + 100$ amp
2) 300$ affinity telecaster(2 single coil) + 200$ amp

And can someone help with the pedal for future. I want a overdrive/distortion(they are kinda same thing i guess). Thanks for answers btw!

I would get the standard telecaster then save your money for an amp. $100 isn't going to get you much.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Badmotorfingers
ahem...

But from what you listed I would recommend a humbucking guitar, maybe an Epiphone LP/SG.

First of all; F Yeaa! Goosebumps man

Yeah, i know but i really love tele tones. I think sg is too much gain for me. And Lp is a really good guitar but in my money range they are basicly selling toys. So i don't know man, i think i'm gonna buy a tele with a good amp. Any advice for overdrive pedal for tele?
Last edited by snaxyz at Jul 24, 2013,
Well it sounds like you really want a Tele so go for that otherwise you won't be satisfied if you get something else.

What amp are you looking at? Unless you're getting a little tube amp I wouldn't really recommend a distortion/OD pedal.

I think something like a Peavey Vypyr might be good for you.
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Jul 24, 2013,
Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0
John 5. Need I say more.

john 5 has humbuckers in his tele. his tele is no more a traditional tele than an Ibanez RG is a traditional strat.

Quote by sjones
The short answer is yes. A Tele should be able to handle the tones of the bands you've listed.

However, the long answer is that the amp and/or pedals you're using will dictate just how well the Tele (or any guitar for that matter) will handle your desired tones. Also, your hands (aka technique) will also be a determining factor in whether or not you will get the desired results.

So yes, a Telecaster can handle the heavier tones you're seeking, but only if you have an amp, pedals, and the technique to go along with it.

agreed- plus other guitars may well handle it better.

it's a bit like saying, "can i run in these formal shoes?"

well, sure, but if you know you're gonna be doing a lot of running, running shoes would be better.

that being said, several (not all) of the tones asked for are single coil. It's really up to you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Well it sounds like you really want a Tele so go for that otherwise you won't be satisfied if you get something else.

What amp are you looking at? Unless you're getting a little tube amp I wouldn't really recommend a distortion/OD pedal.

I think something like a Peavey Vypyr might be good for you.

It's really hard to find a peavey amp but i'll search for it. I was thinking like Vox Pathfinder 15R.
^ it'd be fine for the lighter stuff but might struggle with the heavier stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ it'd be fine for the lighter stuff but might struggle with the heavier stuff.

Ow, then it's a terrible choice for me. I found a Peavey Vypyr solo amp. Does it matter if i use a solo amp for everything?
man, Tele's can rip. I use an old '69 for most of my metal tones and it's pure stock single coil goodness.

If i were you, and this is just me, I'd get the affinity so you have more money to spend on the amp.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by snaxyz
Ow, then it's a terrible choice for me. I found a Peavey Vypyr solo amp. Does it matter if i use a solo amp for everything?

solo amp? I don't know what you mean by that.

But i'm guessing a peavey vypyr would be fine, yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
solo amp? I don't know what you mean by that.

But i'm guessing a peavey vypyr would be fine, yeah.

It says "Peavey Solo Amp". But forget about that, i found a "Peavey Vypyr 15". But man it's 258 dollars. It's really expensive but if you sure i can try to save money to buy a affinity tele and Peavey Vypyr 15.
Quote by snaxyz
It says "Peavey Solo Amp". But forget about that, i found a "Peavey Vypyr 15". But man it's 258 dollars. It's really expensive but if you sure i can try to save money to buy a affinity tele and Peavey Vypyr 15.

Googles says the Peavey Solo is a PA, that's different from a guitar amp and not something you want.
Quote by snaxyz
First of all; F Yeaa! Goosebumps man

Yeah, i know but i really love tele tones. I think sg is too much gain for me. And Lp is a really good guitar but in my money range they are basicly selling toys. So i don't know man, i think i'm gonna buy a tele with a good amp. Any advice for overdrive pedal for tele?
Huh?
Quote by johnnykbop
Googles says the Peavey Solo is a PA, that's different from a guitar amp and not something you want.

Yeah, i found out that later.

Quote by ExDementia
Huh?

Sorry for my bad english. What i trying to say is i think sg has like "cold" tones. (It's hard for me to describe but i hope you get the point.) And i don't like that. I like tele tones with distortion.
is a vox valvetronix any cheaper? or even a mini3. Might be worth considering, and might be cheaper (the mini3 should be, anyway).

assuming you only need it for bedroom practice.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
is a vox valvetronix any cheaper? or even a mini3. Might be worth considering, and might be cheaper (the mini3 should be, anyway).

assuming you only need it for bedroom practice.

Vox is way cheaper but man peaver vypyr 15 looks awesome. It has bunch of effects and amp styles. Like i said i probably gonna buy affinity telecaster and peavey vypyr 15. Thanks for answers guys!
i'd have said the vox was more aimed at the tones you're after It has all those features, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think a telecaster with P90s would be perfect. Or maybe a thinline?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I play in an alternative rock with my American Standard and it sounds great. (I use a mid gain Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ kind of tone and it sounds nice and crunchy). Like the others said, it's your amp/pedal setup that going to matter. You might want to invest in a noise gate btw.
Last edited by schecter ftw at Jul 25, 2013,
Of all the bands you listed I think Muse is the only one that actually uses humbuckers regularly. You could go with a normal single coil Tele and fiddle with the tone knob and a fat boost to get the sound you need.

Going to obligatorily mention the G&L ASAT.
Quote by Seref
Of all the bands you listed I think Muse is the only one that actually uses humbuckers regularly.

The Foo Fighters use humbuckers almost exclusively. They even mention in several interview that humbuckers IS the Foo Fighters sound.
Quote by johnnykbop
The Foo Fighters use humbuckers almost exclusively. They even mention in several interview that humbuckers IS the Foo Fighters sound.

when I saw them live, I don't think I saw a single coil guitar being played at all.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

FWIW, just watched Hole on a 2010 episode of Later...with Jools Holland, and the 3 guitars in the band were Courtney's Rickebnbacker, a guy on Les Paul, and another dude using a Tele.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
These guys should be right up your alley. They're not traditional Teles, but personal experience has taught me that even the oddball Teles still have a bit of that growl the Telecaster is famous for, and obviously they still have the look. I play a Telecaster Deluxe myself, and play lots of Foos music. And if my word isn't good enough, check out Chris Schiflett's new signature guitar.

Telecaster Deluxe

Telecaster Custom

Telecaster Custom II

That last one will probably be the best happy medium between a traditional single-coil Telecaster sound and a beefier humbucker sound. That being said, the humbuckers in Teles of this style tend to be pretty bright and twangy.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
These guys should be right up your alley. They're not traditional Teles, but personal experience has taught me that even the oddball Teles still have a bit of that growl the Telecaster is famous for, and obviously they still have the look. I play a Telecaster Deluxe myself, and play lots of Foos music. And if my word isn't good enough, check out Chris Schiflett's new signature guitar.

Telecaster Deluxe

Telecaster Custom

Telecaster Custom II

That last one will probably be the best happy medium between a traditional single-coil Telecaster sound and a beefier humbucker sound. That being said, the humbuckers in Teles of this style tend to be pretty bright and twangy.

I've actually been looking at these for my next purchase too. Are the Squiers actually worth the money at all? Or am I better off trying to source a (probably slightly damaged) MIM? Getting used MIMs is pretty difficult in Japan though.
As far as the Squiers go, the Deluxe is probably your best bet. It's part of the Vintage Modified series, which are actually very good quality instruments. Obviously, if you can stretch your budget to be able to get a MIM Deluxe, that's even better, but the Squier will do just fine.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray