You run the risk of damaging the speaker if you play a bass through it.
Don't.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
The new vypyr series, yeah. The old one, no.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
It will work, and the speaker concerns are vastly more hype than reality.

In this case the speaker used is a full-range speaker, similar to those in a stereo system (due to the modeling).

When was the last time you heard the Bass in a recording blow a speaker?

Excessive power through a speaker is generally the cause of speaker failure, not the frequency at which it is operated.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
TIL

Quote by Arby911
It will work, and the speaker concerns are vastly more hype than reality.

In this case the speaker used is a full-range speaker, similar to those in a stereo system (due to the modeling).

When was the last time you heard the Bass in a recording blow a speaker?

Excessive power through a speaker is generally the cause of speaker failure, not the frequency at which it is operated.

So any guitar speaker is ok for bass? Or is it just in this situation? For instance, can I play a bass through my Epi valve jr? Just to dick around, not looking for good tone.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 24, 2013,
Quote by lucky1978
TIL

So any guitar speaker is ok for bass? Or is it just in this situation?

It's not the speaker, it's the cab that can be a problem. Guitar speakers can handle the frequencies just fine. Bass cabs are ported or sealed and you get an air cushion that keeps the cone from moving too much. The concern with using a bass through a guitar amp is that if the cab is open back or ported differently you could blow the cone out.

I imagine this issue has its roots in bass players pushing a crappy 30 watt guitar amp as far as it would go because of course it's too quiet for a bass, and then blowing the speaker. So the problem isn't that you can't play a bass through a guitar amp or speaker, it's that you probably shouldn't try to make a small guitar amp into a workable, loud bass amp.

I think enough guitarists these days are downtuning and using octave pedals and all that stuff that it should be fairly obvious that this "incompatibility" is overblown. With a reasonable margin of safety and under normal conditions a guitar amp can handle bass frequencies without any issues.
Quote by lucky1978
So any guitar speaker is ok for bass? Or is it just in this situation? For instance, can I play a bass through my Epi valve jr? Just to dick around, not looking for good tone.

Many (although not all) 'guitar' specific speakers have a frequency response that encompasses bass guitar, but they aren't specifically designed or tested for that application.

That being said I've played a LOT of bass through 'guitar' amps/speakers, with nary a problem, but YMMW. (Never at 'gig' volumes, if you need to gig get a proper setup.)

As noted above*, pushing a speaker (any speaker) to or beyond its design limits is asking for trouble, but at moderate power levels you're unlikely to ever experience a problem.

* "So the problem isn't that you can't play a bass through a guitar amp or speaker, it's that you probably shouldn't try to make a small guitar amp into a workable, loud bass amp."
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin