Poll: Which one is the best?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one is the best?
Vox Pathfinder 10
0 0%
Fender Mustang 1
1 50%
Roland Cube 20XL
0 0%
Laney Cub 8
1 50%
Voters: 2.
So,I want to buy an amplifier,but my choices are pretty limited,because I live in Romania, and I need a second-hand one,because I'm in high-school,and our government pays us 10$ a month.That's our salary.

The power is not important,because I will only use it at home.

Also,I know the Mustang and the Roland are modelling amps, which I don't really need because I own an Boss ME-20 and he's doing ok for home.

I really want to know which one do you guys think sounds the best.

Also, I play a lot of metalcore,thrash metal,and blues when it rains.

Thank you,in advance.
the cub will likely sound the best, but be the least versatile. I haven't tried it, but having tried similar amps, it'll only really do those blues tones you mentioned (and that's if you turn it up until it distorts, which'll still be pretty loud). You'd really need a few pedals for those other tones you need- you can get pretty nice cheapish pedals from the likes of joyo etc., but that still may be too much of a stretch. EDIT: if you're talking about the cub 10, it will be able to get some distortion at lower volumes (as it has a gain control). From what I hear its preamp is based on a marshall jcm800, so you're talking rock levels of distortion, not metal, so even it would benefit from some additional pedals. An overdrive pedal used as a boost may be enough, though, you might be able to skip actual distortion pedals. EDIT #2: ah I thought I wasn't imagining it, you have the cub 8 in the poll. So yeah, it'll only do clean tones at low volumes, and maybe classic rock at most when really turned up.

the pathfinder again is more aimed at lower gain tones (up to about ac/dc levels of heaviness). it does a pretty good solid state impression of a vox ac30, but that's more or less all it does.

i haven't tried the mustang. I've heard pretty good things, though.

The roland cube is normally suggested as one of the two best practice amp modellers for metal tones (the other being the peavey vypyr, which I haven't tried). However, I've only tried the older, non-xl version. The other slightly annoying thing about the cubes is that only the higher wattage versions have all the amp models (which are what you want and what makes it a good amp in the first place). You really have to go up to the 30/40 watt models (or the microcube, I suppose, as it has some of the amp models the bigger ones have) for the cubes to actually justify the praise they get, in my opinion.

Hope that helped a little.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 24, 2013,
Turning up the amp for distortion isn't necessary. He has the Boss. Go for the one with the best clean sound if you are going to use the Boss.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Can you get a Peavey Vyper? It seems to be, by far, the favorite lower budget metal amp around here.
I don't play metal but I think my vote goes to the Laney, simply based on what I've heard about them.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
So I cant get a good metal sound from a pathfinder? Cause I gotta tell you,it sounds decent clean.
Quote by alexfifaistos
So I cant get a good metal sound from a pathfinder? Cause I gotta tell you,it sounds decent clean.

I'm a fan of the Vox "hybrid" amps for what they sound like at what they cost but I wouldn't think they'd be all that great for any metal after 1979. It's just not they're strong suit.
They do sound great for all the tones between clean and metal, just not clean and metal(I assume by your compliment of the cleans, you like a lil bit of grit).

Edit: actually, with your multifx, you might be able to get there.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 24, 2013,
Well, I have the posibillity to test a Pathfinder. If I dont like it though I'll buy the Laney, I guess..

Thanks for the advices.
Quote by ryanbwags
Turning up the amp for distortion isn't necessary. He has the Boss. Go for the one with the best clean sound if you are going to use the Boss.

i missed that, good catch.

i'd be tempted to consider the cub in that case.

Quote by alexfifaistos

i guess you could to a certain extent with your boss multifx, but i still don't think it'd take pedals as well as a tube amp.

but you're right, its lower gain tones are pretty nice. up to about ac/dc levels of distortion it sounds pretty good for a cheap solid state practice amp. it's just at higher levels of distortion it doesn't sound so good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?