hello guys,

i'm looking for some strings that will give my old guitar a deeper sound. its manufactureed by an obscure asian company Marina and is basically a Martin copy, so keep that in mind. the guitar is generally very good for playing fingerpicking but the strings i currently have (D'addario phosphor bronze 0.11) sound way too bright especially when trying to play barre chords up the neck

to sum it up: what i'm looking for is strings that will give my guitar a deeper sound than what i have, something like this [forbidden link]
Well, phosphor bronze strings are already about as "mellow" as you can get. Strings have only a rather minor effect on such things anyway... The difference is pretty slight.

Consider down-tuning a half-step or a full step?
You have "Custom Light" gauge strings on the guitar. (.011 to .052). Heavier strings will punch up the bass somewhat. Most makers ship with "Acoustic Light" sets. (.012 to .053) That doesn't sound like much, but there is a noticeable difference in bass. (Not great, but noticeable).

Are you sure you don't have 80/20 alloy "brass" strings on the guitar? They tend to be fairly bright.

You could try a "silk & steel" string set on the guitar, as they're even mellower than PB.

With all that said, just because a guitar looks like a Martin, doesn't mean it's going to sound like one. Lower end guitars can sometimes have a "brittle" sound, because of lack of resonance, perhaps caused by thick bracing, and stiff laminated woods .

Sorry for the reality check.

I'm told "Recording guitars" have a Martinesque tonality. Something to think about when you consider where to go from here.

As far as "playing barre chords up the neck goes", keep in mind you don't have bass boost on an amp, or a bass player to prop up the sound. Because you shunt away from the natural full body resonance and much lower frequencies that open positions allow, the higher you go, the thinner the sound. Welcome to the real world.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 24, 2013,
Quote by Bikewer
Well, phosphor bronze strings are already about as "mellow" as you can get. Strings have only a rather minor effect on such things anyway... The difference is pretty slight.

Consider down-tuning a half-step or a full step?

after rummaging the house i found that the strings are actually 85/15 american bronze .010, so thats probably too bright for this guitar :S
i think the .010 strings are also part of the problem i have with barre chords on this guitar. should i just switch to .011 or try .012 first?
Last edited by Adriatic at Jul 24, 2013,
Quote by Captaincranky
You have "Custom Light" gauge strings on the guitar. (.011 to .052). Heavier strings will punch up the bass somewhat. Most makers ship with "Acoustic Light" sets. (.012 to .053) That doesn't sound like much, but there is a noticeable difference in bass. (Not great, but noticeable).

Are you sure you don't have 80/20 alloy "brass" strings on the guitar? They tend to be fairly bright.

You could try a "silk & steel" string set on the guitar, as they're even mellower than PB.

With all that said, just because a guitar looks like a Martin, doesn't mean it's going to sound like one. Lower end guitars can sometimes have a "brittle" sound, because of lack of resonance, perhaps caused by thick bracing, and stiff laminated woods .

Sorry for the reality check.

I'm told "Recording guitars" have a Martinesque tonality. Something to think about when you consider where to go from here.

As far as "playing barre chords up the neck goes", keep in mind you don't have bass boost on an amp, or a bass player to prop up the sound. Because you shunt away from the natural full body resonance and much lower frequencies that open positions allow, the higher you go, the thinner the sound. Welcome to the real world.

dude thanks for the response, but lose the attitude, i'm not an idiot and the guitar in question is not a crap copy, it was actually quite pricey when it was bought (+20 years ago) and it was good enough to be used for gigs by my mother back then + it is an acoustic electric, i stated that it is an martin copy because it is and since this one is completely obscure it should give people and idea of what to recommend for

i also know that the "higher you go, the thinner the sound is", but this one has this special problem that might be partially due to strings as power chords sound good enough.

so please, just suggest give me some suggestions what strings should i try out apart from d'addario 80/20.
Last edited by Adriatic at Jul 24, 2013,
I used D'addario coated strings and they were pretty mellow. Elixirs still seem really bright, but the EXP's (I think thats what they call them) are toned down.

Maybe find a set of Elixirs with that super thick coating on them and see it that will bring it down some.
Most manufacturers ship with some variety of "acoustic light" string sets on their large body guitars. (.012 to .053).

So, that would be your starting point, (IMHO).

20/50 bell bronze = very bright

Phosphor bronze = warmer, not as brittle

Silk and steel, too dull for my taste, but very mellow.

After that, the rest of of usually test out different brands, and then buy what pleases us the most.

D'Addario and Elixir are the top two brands, followed probably by Martin.
In the end, you pays your money, and you takes your chances.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 25, 2013,
so, i decided to try d'addario phosphor bronze .012 gauge and its a much better fit, i guess the extra light strings didnt go too well on this guitar, now its much easier to play it, and barre chords are easy as well.
good job adriatic. i have a love/hate relationship with strings and new guitars.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)