Page 1 of 2
alright, so im curious. in this modern day & age do you guys bother to wear watches? sure, we have smartphones that can do everything but surely you guys have a back up plan incase your phone dies, eh?

just curious what your opinions on watches are, what watch you wear if you have one, & what hand you wear it on. just because.

this is the watch i wear every day:

but w/ a black face thing. nothing special but it does the job (ez to quickly see the time). altho i broke the little strap for it (some little piece of rod came out) so i have to go get that fixed. the event that spawned this thread. kinda annoying since i just got the battery in it taken care of. i wear it on the right hand (my dominant hand) which is something that im pretty sure is weird. o well.

discuss & shit, poll coming in a min.

poll is not coming because i am dumb. fk it
I used to think watches are shit cuz people pay like $15,000 for one and this caused an oedipal complex but now i think they're the shit

can't afford one though. If I had a watch it'd be a nice handmade one with a brown leather strap and I'd wear it on my left and take pictures of it. I had one that cost just the amount i listed before but i stole it and it was restolen by the owner (my dad). ****er. I want that watch.
I never liked wearing a watch much, and I can't afford a nice one. I think they're really classy as an accessory to formal attire. When someone is wearing a noticeably nice watch I'm usually impressed.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I have a Waltham 100 jewel watch, but I don't like that stretchy metal band on it. I'm going to get it cleaned up and put a leather strap on it then I'll wear it all the time.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
I would but my principles of not wearing cheap tat means I can't afford the one I want. Especially with a watch, I figure you want something well made that's going to last you instead of these £100 designer ones and get worn once or twice.

£700:

My credit limit got extended by a shitload and it's really tempting...

edit:

Though I wouldn't mind this for £1500:

which is as far as I'll go into watch nerd territory cause past £1000 you're just throwing money away imo.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I've always kinda wanted a Rolex, I don't care if its douchey, I think they're neat.
Also wouldn't mind a Hamilton Ventura.
Quote by whywefight
This man speaks truth and has a beastly username.

Quote by Saint78
you are a beautiful person.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I wish I could but my wrists are too small.

Get a some links taken out/buy a smaller strap.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I've got two Fossil watches. One that's plain and silver looking and one that's got a brown leather strap and a face where you can sort of see the moving parts.
I don't wear either of them because I think it looks weird to while wearing a t-shirt. I also forget I have them.
I'm not allowed to have my phone on me at work so I wear a watch there. I just wish I could afford something that didn't look tacky
I wear this watch;
http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/8955573/rotary+men%27s+black+strap+moonphase+watch/
It's not quite what I would have chosen, but it was a gift and I do like it. Gold plated with a black strap, might replace with a brown strap though once this one gets more worn out.
Quote by Hydra150
Get a some links taken out/buy a smaller strap.

I've tried that and it always feels weird. My wrists are really small. I just measured and they're 6 inches.
Good watches are amazing pieces of engineering- Vacheron Constantin made a watch from over 800 handmade parts- takes about 10,000 hours to build one. I currently have a Citizen Calbire 8730 as a dress watch, and some Fossil watches for day to day use. Don't need a fancy watch for that.

But this, I would love:

http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/de-ville/tourbillon/presentation/de-ville-tourbillon?watchHubRef=51353392199001

Always enjoyed working on Omega movements back when I worked as a watch technician. Rolex watches never seemed that great in comparison.

EDIT: The watch in the link doesn't actually have hands- the hand markers are gold leaf steamed onto individual planes of glass, and it's the glass that rotates. The spacing between these plates of glass is tiny.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jul 24, 2013,
Just looked up a price for a Rolex

That had better be a solid 24k gold band and a 100 carat black diamond face for $20000.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
We sell watches in my work for £5.99 that do the job just as well.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 24, 2013,
Quote by jjfeu662
Just looked up a price for a Rolex

That had better be a solid 24k gold band and a 100 carat black diamond face for $20000.

That's nothing. We were handed a watch to service and to value for insurance. It was an Audemars Piguet, solid platinum casing, black diamonds (unsure of the carats). £250,000.
If I could afford one I'd buy a nice one, but I don't like the way cheap ones look - especially big, fat, cheap ones with metal-link straps. Tempted to get one though just because my phone can never decide whether to be in GMT or GMT+1. Plus nice watches are pretty suave.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I have one of these for each wrist.

Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That's nothing. We were handed a watch to service and to value for insurance. It was an Audemars Piguet, solid platinum casing, black diamonds (unsure of the carats). £250,000.

I thought my ~$200 Waltham was something.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
I use this.

I feel naked without a watch.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Last edited by Demon Wolf at Jul 24, 2013,
I have a couple of watches in a drawer.

1. A purple/blue baby-G. I won it at a swim meet when I was in middle school. It's worn out and nearly gray now because I wore it all the time and got a mortifying watch tan. (I wore a regular kids' Casio before that, but it broke.) but I'll never get rid of it because it was my first "real" watch and it's valuable to me.

2. A Mickey Mouse ladies' watch that my uncle got me when we went to Disneyland. I was too young for it because it kept falling off my wrist (i feel u genghis) so my parents saved it for when I was older. 11 years later, found it in an old box recently when cleaning my room and my wrist is big enough for it now but the strap's moldy. I'll get a new strap for it when I have enough money and that will probably be the one that I wear most often.

3. 2 Citizen watches, one orange and white Eco-drive and one other one that I don't know the name of but it's gold and made entirely of metal. My grandpa gave me both. He gave me the metal one 3 years ago but I never wore it unless he was around and wanted to see me with it because it was also too big for my wrists. He was really into collecting nice watches and pens so over the years he'd accumulated a bag of the not-super-expensive pens for me, and the eco-drive watch was in that bag. He never got to give it to me though because he died all of a sudden, so my mom gave it to me when she came back her after flying to india for his funeral. I find it really hard to use anything from that bag because I'm sad that he's dead. I don't want to wear those watches because what if they break or something, they're the only things I have to remember him by.

4. My mom's old Swatch. she gave it to me because she's allergic to the material the strap is made of but it doesn't really go with any of my clothes and the strap is quite thick (I prefer thinner straps because they don't look so weird on me) so I don't wear it. She'll take it from me anyway if she decides to change the strap when her current watch goes kaput. It is quite pretty though.

I use my phone to tell time, for now. I would much rather use a watch because I like knowing what time it is, and whenever I check my phone I impulsively have to reply to whatever messages are on there, so using my phone as a watch makes me more dependent on my phone than I'd like to be. Also watches look classier than a phone bulging out of a pocket.

When I was a kid and wore watches all the time I'd wear them on my right hand. Apparently it is weird for right handed people to do that but **** it. Now I would alternate so that I don't get a watch tan.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jul 24, 2013,
^I think you should use the Eco Drive. Your grandpa gave it to you, probably to use. Sure, things might happen to it, but can always be fixed and serviced. It'll be doing a lot more out of the bag. Plus, if you use them, it's a reminder for him every time you look at the time, rather than when you go through the bag, with things hidden away.
i only have one but it's really bulky and i don't like wearing it. i like the idea of wearing a watch though.
you're a stone fox
I wear a white rubber (plastic?) £2 Primark Watch.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by theguitarist
I would but my principles of not wearing cheap tat means I can't afford the one I want. Especially with a watch, I figure you want something well made that's going to last you instead of these £100 designer ones and get worn once or twice.

£700:

My credit limit got extended by a shitload and it's really tempting...

edit:

Though I wouldn't mind this for £1500:

which is as far as I'll go into watch nerd territory cause past £1000 you're just throwing money away imo.

dont rly get the hate on more reasonably priced watches. i love my budget watch man. i have a $1300 watch that i rarely ever rare just because it feels excessive & i feel uncomfortable walking around advertising 1300 bucks on my wrist. just makes me feel like a tool in most settings.

dont understand the leather straps either. feels rly old manish
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^I think you should use the Eco Drive. Your grandpa gave it to you, probably to use. Sure, things might happen to it, but can always be fixed and serviced. It'll be doing a lot more out of the bag. Plus, if you use them, it's a reminder for him every time you look at the time, rather than when you go through the bag, with things hidden away.

You're right, he would've wanted me to wear it all the time anyway. I'll get used to wearing it and stop being sad whenever I look at it. I just saw that you were a watch technician so I trust your advice haha
cat
Yeah, I still wear watches.

I wear a (freebie) G Shock watch at work, and one of these beasties at home:

Got my eyes on a breitling, when I'm earning a bit more money.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
I have this exact watch. Only really wear it when im looking extra spiffy but it's nice.

pinga
Of course because I'm a classy guy. It's a Rotary, leather strap, blue face. Cba to look up images
I get watches for my birthday but I never wear them.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I love watches. I actually went though a phase where I couldn't stop obsessing over watches. The amount of worksmanship, attention to detail, and engineering that goes into a really high quality watch is amazing.

I myself wear a Fossil watch daily (not the fanciest watch, but I'm not into spending anything over a few hundred on a watch that I will scratch up and stuff).

I know it sounds really stupid but having a watch on your wrist is a lot more convenient than having to take out your phone all the time just to check the time. Having the date on the watch is also really useful. I also think watches look quite awesome.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Jul 24, 2013,
I wear a $14 casio digital watch. I like being able to just look at my wrist, rather than dig my phone out of my pocket each time I check.
I usually wear one of these on a daily basis:

but occasionally my Fossil for dressier occasions
(Invalid img)
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
I wear watches on my right wrist too.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Oh and I always wear watches on the 'wrong' wrist. I keep my phone in my left pocket, so wearing it on my left wrist means it gets caught on/in my pocket whenever I need to get my phone out.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I used to wear a fossil all the time on my left wrist. Time/day/month dials. Plus a little sun and moon that would slowly switch places for AM/PM.

I don't wear it anymore due to fear of damaging it. My dad got it for me and I wore it for years till I scratched the quartz.
Page 1 of 2