Hey!
For a massive amount of time I've been searching for a good metal guitar… and I've found Sterling by Music Man JP100D (with CrunchLab/LiquiFire) - but it's not cheap. I think should I buy cheaper Ibanez S420 and install some D-Activator/LiquiFire or buy this Sterling? Is this very big difference between this two guitars?
Where in the world are you located?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ah, I see.

Well I have an S420 and I love it. I put D Activators in mine. I would certainly recommend it to anyone, but I don't have any experience with JP guitars, so I can't say how it stacks up.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Ibanez S420 is well built, if has the the edge zero II or III or whatever it would be the best idea in my mind.

The neck doesn't fell the same as an JP100D though
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
S420 is one of the best bang for the buck guitars on the market. The only $500ish guitar that has a good (great?) trem. The JP100D red burst is massively overpriced in Europe. It's what, almost 1200 euros? That's not much less than an Ibanez S5470 Prestige!

Is the JP a good guitar, yep. But it's not worth 3x the price of the s420.

And like Offworld, I have a d-activator in my s470 and love it.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
S420 is one of the best bang for the buck guitars on the market. The only $500ish guitar that has a good (great?) trem. The JP100D red burst is massively overpriced in Europe. It's what, almost 1200 euros? That's not much less than an Ibanez S5470 Prestige!

Is the JP a good guitar, yep. But it's not worth 3x the price of the s420.

Yeah, it‘s mainly overpriced (especially in thomann.de), but I found it in normal price. If the S420 cost like 500 euros, I think (I make cost in euros out of polish currency), the JP100d cost about something more than 900 euros. In Thomann it‘s... 1600 euros, as hard as I can remember
The cost don't make a lot of difference, if the JP is MUCH BETTER than the Ibanez, I would buy it and be happy with it - I buy this guitars for next few years :-) But if I can get very good quality and have like 300-400 euros for... new pickups and some pedal or sth, I wouldn't mind, of course
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rg3xxv_ca.htm
If you can live with an RG shape this comes stock with dimarzios.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Quote by andro64
Yeah, it‘s mainly overpriced (especially in thomann.de), but I found it in normal price. If the S420 cost like 500 euros, I think (I make cost in euros out of polish currency), the JP100d cost about something more than 900 euros. In Thomann it‘s... 1600 euros, as hard as I can remember
The cost don't make a lot of difference, if the JP is MUCH BETTER than the Ibanez, I would buy it and be happy with it - I buy this guitars for next few years :-) But if I can get very good quality and have like 300-400 euros for... new pickups and some pedal or sth, I wouldn't mind, of course

The Sterling JPs I've tried didn't seem that much better than my MiK s470. At 900-1000 euros, I'd want a lot more than what a JP100D gives. I really liked the Sterlings I've tried, but in this case, their euro pricing is just too high. Specially when you see the $550 price tag on the JP70 stealth black :P Then again, you are saving money on pickups (and installation?) and the red burst finish looks like it's pretty awesome.

At that price, you might be able to find a used unloaded (no piezo, no fancy paint, no matching headstock etc) EBMM JP6.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by randomguy2000
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rg3xxv_ca.htm
If you can live with an RG shape this comes stock with dimarzios.

Oh, it's a good guitar.
I don't know If I can live with RG shape, in a few days I would try some Ibanez's guitars in my music store. But the thing with this RG3XXV is... it's HS, I want to buy HH

Do you know any more good shred guitars with HH in that prices? And not Edge III - everyone are saying that Edge III isn't the best thing that Ibanez did :'(
I'm crying because of the Ibanez V-shaped guitar that they don't do
Last edited by andro64 at Jul 26, 2013,
Quote by andro64
But the thing with this RG3XXV is... it's HS, I want to buy HH

If it makes any difference, that guitar is actually HH, just in an HS form factor. The stock neck pickup is a single coil sized humbucker. It will give you humbucker tones.

So the only issue is if you wanted to swap it out for something that only comes in humbucker format.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by andro64
Oh, it's a good guitar.
I don't know If I can live with RG shape, in a few days I would try some Ibanez's guitars in my music store. But the thing with this RG3XXV is... it's HS, I want to buy HH

Do you know any more good shred guitars with HH in that prices? And not Edge III - everyone are saying that Edge III isn't the best thing that Ibanez did :'(
I'm crying because of the Ibanez V-shaped guitar that they don't do

If you want the HH look in a S shape, maybe try to find a used JS1000/1200? Or look at one of the Ibanez Premium RGs (920 series is HH) if you just don't want HSH in a RG. Really wish they made the RG920 with the blazing dusk finish. Or even better a rg1520/rg2720 in that finish!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I don't want JS because they've got Edge III instead of Edge Zero-II

How hard is to place new pickups in the S420? I've read about problems with changing pickups, because of metal cover around pickups. I think about D-Activator/Air Norton or the Petrucci set (CrunchLab/LiquiFire) - do u know how CrunchLab will sound in mahogany body of S420?

Oh, and I want to buy Laney Ironheart to play with
I have a d-activator in the bridge of my s470, so I don't think it would be a problem.

And I meant the REAL JS models, not the cheaper js100 :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
I have a d-activator in the bridge of my s470, so I don't think it would be a problem.

And I meant the REAL JS models, not the cheaper js100 :P

I cannot find used JS in Poland :'( And the problem is I want 24 frets
But the CrunchLab in mahogany? How would it sound?

EDIT: In S420 or any Ibanez guitar with Edge Zero trem should I buy CrunchLab F-spaced or not?
Last edited by andro64 at Jul 28, 2013,
save your money and get a JP7 bud. The S420 feels cheap compared to any prestige or premium ibanezs. The JP100D is solid, but also not as good as the better of the JP line. I would suggest you wait and save some more money.

Comparing the two guitars you're looking at, even with stock pickups, the JP KILLS the S. I'm an Ibanez S lover, but the Indonesian models feel cheap and the build quality leaves much to be desired.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Guys, two days ago I went to my music store and instantly fallen in love with Wizard neck on Ibanez. I triss the PRS SE too, and… i didn't like it :c I didn't like the neck of PRS (It seems so… casually for me, when the Wizard is… other) and the sound of it (but I have to say that when I played some chords I've heard Opeth sound in it )
So I've searched some internet music stores in Poland and found Ibanez RG920QMZ… what do you guys think about it? I've heard good reviews, I like the basswood+maple body, I can live with rosewood fretboard if I have to… It's Edge Zero-II, and even the pickups are reviewed like some very good (and I can change It for Petrucci's, because of basswood!)
It's an awesome ibanez! I have played many of them, they are very consistent, decent stock pickups and they just look sexy!
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
To answer an earlier question, yeah with an Edge Zero II (and all floating tremolo bridges to the extent of my knowledge) you're going to want F space in the bridge.

As for the Ibanez, which model did you play? It could have a Wizard III, or the older Wizard II, and there is a significant difference between them. If you love the Wizard II, you probably won't like the III that much, and vice versa.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well the premiums I've played have had very comfortable necks.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Offworld92
As for the Ibanez, which model did you play? It could have a Wizard III, or the older Wizard II, and there is a significant difference between them. If you love the Wizard II, you probably won't like the III that much, and vice versa.

I forget the name of it :'( I think it could be the RG370, it had HSH and Edge Zero-II, and it was like 200-300 $ cheaper than RG920. Man in music store gave it to me because he hadn't S420 and he wanted to show me the Wizard neck.
But what's the difference between them?

Quote by Offworld92
you're going to want F space in the bridge

So for the neck pickup there's no F spaced version? 'Cause I cannot find F spaced LiquiFire
Neck is almost always regular spaced. You'd only have an F spaced neck if you had an unusually wide nut, which isn't really a problem on non-custom guitars.

If it had an Edge Zero II, it's fairly safe to say that it had a Wizard III. I have one of the newer S420s with a Wizard III, and I absolutely love it. The older Wizard II feels like crap to me, it's a really extreme D shape, really flattens out really quickly. The III has a more consistent U shape, although it is a very shallow U (it is an Ibanez after all), the fact that it's round and not flat makes it so much more comfortable.

I don't know how the Premiums compare. They have their own neck profile, and I haven't seen one in person yet to try. I highly recommend trying before buying if you go Premium, because flat necks are (were) pretty much Ibanez's "thing", so it could very well (and probably does) have a flatter neck than the Wizard III.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by andro64
I forget the name of it :'( I think it could be the RG370, it had HSH and Edge Zero-II, and it was like 200-300 $ cheaper than RG920. Man in music store gave it to me because he hadn't S420 and he wanted to show me the Wizard neck.
But what's the difference between them?

So for the neck pickup there's no F spaced version? 'Cause I cannot find F spaced LiquiFire

spend that 200-300 man, you can get all crazy over the specs but at the end of the day the premiums are better build quality, sound far better and will last longer. They play better in my opinion. Also, never buy anything with the Edge III, make sure it is the Edge Zero-II model (post 2011 RG370DXs) and not one with the Edge III. I'm happy to see Ibanez getting rid of the edge III althogether.
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400