Hey guys! I'm building a studio and I have some leftover Johns Manville R12 fiberglass insulation and I was wondering if it was possible to use them as bass traps? Here are the ones I'm talking about,

thanks!!!!

http://www.generalbuildingmaterial.com/product.php?productid=72

http://csrbuilding.ca/sites/castlecsrbuildingsupplies/images/products/jm_r12_x_23_400.jpg
Last edited by D.R.22 at Jul 24, 2013,
Yes, but you'll need ~12 inches of it from the wall (compressed as tightly as possible), to really get much out of it. To avoid a huge mess, I'd just leave it in the bag, construct a frame in the corners of your room and stack them one on top of each other and pack them as tight as you can until you reach the ceiling, then put some fabric over it to keep it all in (and look aesthetically pleasing). The plastic that's around them should be negligible in this application, since you're wanting to get rid of the bass and not necessarily other frequencies.

Unless you have a lot of it, I'm not sure I'd bother. I'd think it'd be much cheaper to just buy rigid fiberglass.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yes, but you'll need ~12 inches of it from the wall (compressed as tightly as possible), to really get much out of it. To avoid a huge mess, I'd just leave it in the bag, construct a frame in the corners of your room and stack them one on top of each other and pack them as tight as you can until you reach the ceiling, then put something over the front to keep it all in. The plastic that's around them should be negligible in this application, since you're wanting to get rid of the bass and not necessarily other frequencies.

Unless you have a lot of it, I'm not sure I'd bother. I'd think it'd be much cheaper to just buy rigid fiberglass.

thanks! Do you mean the hypotenuse of the triangle should be 12 inches?
Quote by D.R.22
thanks! Do you mean the hypotenuse of the triangle should be 12 inches?

No, the altitude is 12 inches (the hypotenuse would be 12 inches from the corner of the wall).
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
No, the altitude is 12 inches (the hypotenuse would be 12 inches from the corner of the wall).

you mean like this? haha
Attachments:
Untitled-1.png
Quote by D.R.22
you mean like this? haha

Yup
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've got around to finishing the studio & I noticed that making the bass traps 12 inches would interfere with my wall power plugs! So is there a way of making smaller bass traps and adding ones to the wall or just building them over the plugs? Thanks!