So I've only just found out about these guys, and they seem pretty cool. Love me some mini versions of actual amps. Seriously gassing for a JCM-1H. Reviews n videos seem good but does anyone actually have one or any first hand experience with one?

Also, I'm quite confused with the valves they're using. I don't get how they're using all ECC83/ECC82/ECC81 in the amps. Pre-amp sure, but the power-amps are listed to use these pre-amp valves as well. Is this a gimmick or is it possible to use pre-amp valves for power-amp valves provided they're only pumping 1 (or 0.1) watt?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
is it possible to use pre-amp valves for power-amp valves provided they're only pumping 1 (or 0.1) watt?

yeah that's it

that being said, i haven't tried them, but from what i hear, they're pretty dear for what they are.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They're awful. I tried the JCM one and it was just laughably bad considering what Marshall seems to think it is. In order to get any volume you had to turn it up to the point where it got buzzy and mushy, and then of course there was no volume left. The fact that they were asking $800 or whatever was even worse. The Blackstar HT-1 sounds about as good, and it's still not a great amp at $250.

$800 can get you an actually decent amp with a MV that will sound better at low volumes and will let you play louder if you want, too. Those little 1 watt Marshalls are toys, IMO, just a 50th anniversary promotion that got out of hand. They look cute and they'll be a neat little footnote for collectors in 20 years but they are not good amps, independent of the ludicrous price.

You can decide for yourself, but to me this sounds like a slightly buzzier MG15, and that's with a good player and what I assume is a rather nice recording setup. That's embarrassing. The video sounds fairly true to what I heard in person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GzOtggvFyY
Quote by Roc8995
They're awful. I tried the JCM one and it was just laughably bad considering what Marshall seems to think it is. In order to get any volume you had to turn it up to the point where it got buzzy and mushy, and then of course there was no volume left. The fact that they were asking $800 or whatever was even worse. The Blackstar HT-1 sounds about as good, and it's still not a great amp at $250.

$800 can get you an actually decent amp with a MV that will sound better at low volumes and will let you play louder if you want, too. Those little 1 watt Marshalls are toys, IMO, just a 50th anniversary promotion that got out of hand. They look cute and they'll be a neat little footnote for collectors in 20 years but they are not good amps, independent of the ludicrous price.

You can decide for yourself, but to me this sounds like a slightly buzzier MG15, and that's with a good player and what I assume is a rather nice recording setup. That's embarrassing. The video sounds fairly true to what I heard in person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GzOtggvFyY

This is actually the video I had in mind from what I heard of these amps. After a second listen, it doesn't sound as great as I remember and I remember many years ago listening to their old MG range in these videos and thinking it was pretty kickass. I've never owned an MG though, as I soon learnt they were pretty terrible.

I imagine the head going through something like a 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet would sound better than the combo with it's 8" speaker. I'd definitely want to hear one in person though before even thinking of getting one. At our UK stores they're being priced at £499 at the lowest, I'm not quite sure how that compares to $800 with the exchange rate, but it still seems a little steep.

I'll have to wait to find a store that I can try one out at
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I never found a reasonable excuse for spending $800 on a one watt amp. Doesn't seem practical at all.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by Lavatain
At our UK stores they're being priced at £499 at the lowest, I'm not quite sure how that compares to $800 with the exchange rate, but it still seems a little steep.

I'll have to wait to find a store that I can try one out at

1 GBP= $1.54
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by gregs1020
how much beer could it possibly chill?

worthless.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by Roc8995

$800 can get you an actually decent amp with a MV that will sound better at low volumes and will let you play louder if you want, too. Those little 1 watt Marshalls are toys,

that's my big problem with those teeny low wattage things, especially when they're expensive. this "valve amps only sound good when turned up" thing is getting way, way out of hand, if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Lavatain
I imagine the head going through something like a 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet would sound better than the combo with it's 8" speaker.

I played it through a Marshall 2x12. Still not good.
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's my big problem with those teeny low wattage things, especially when they're expensive. this "valve amps only sound good when turned up" thing is getting way, way out of hand, if you ask me.

the result in my experience is these amps (1 watters in general) have no real bass response.

and what they think is bass response just sounds like ass to me.

the only "low wattage" amp with real bass response i've encountered was the CEC Toll Free Express. that thing is just rediculous.

anyone that wants a british voiced small head that works at low volume needs to seriously consider a toll free express.
This is all disappointing to hear. Not that I would buy one but I thought they'd be cool and wanted to try one (the jtm-1 sounds[?] appealing). Oh well.

I really liked the lil 15w JCM 800 though, very cool amp. I think they run about $800 new as well.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Roc8995
If you want a 15 watt JCM800 you should pick up a Studio 15.

Actually I'm thinking a Randall MTS is in my future. Then I can have a jcm800, Jtm, Bassman, AC30, etc. Though I admit I've never tried one, they seem amazing.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by gregs1020
the result in my experience is these amps (1 watters in general) have no real bass response.

and what they think is bass response just sounds like ass to me.

the only "low wattage" amp with real bass response i've encountered was the CEC Toll Free Express. that thing is just rediculous.

anyone that wants a british voiced small head that works at low volume needs to seriously consider a toll free express.

I haven't tried the CEC- I'm sure it's great, though.

My little hayden petite 5 isn't bad on the bass when run through good speakers. though (a) it's been discontinued and (b) even so I'd only really suggest one if you got a deal on it like I did. don't get me wrong, it's a really nice amp, but those low wattage amps are pretty much one-trick ponies by dint of their wattage and headroom.

Quote by gregs1020
plus juan.

****ing voice recognition software!

LOL
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As far as these Marshall 1 watters go, I can see they're definitely toys, and expensive toys at that! If I were to find one cheap on the bay then I may be tempted.
I think the older ones sound better. The JTM1 and JMP1 were fine but I think a 1-watter's point is defeated when you add things like multiple channels and a lot of preamp gain. Plus, those later amps had master volumes which made them more flexible than the 1-watt versions. The JTM1 and JMP1 were for the people who wanted those classic cranked tones but couldn't realistically get them. I don't know who the JCM1, DSL1, and JVM1 are for since those tones were more preamp than poweramp.
I tried the JMP or JTM (don't remember which one it was) through a 1x12 cab and I cranked it but it sounded pretty bad. I was trying a Strat and the 1 watter was in the test room. The sound just didn't inspire me. It was pretty bad considering that it costs so much. I was expecting it to sound great but it just didn't. I got so uninspired that I lost my GAS for the Strat. I tried it through a different amp - it was a 50 watt Engl Retrotube which was really nice but I wasn't excited about the Strat any more.

And yeah, Dave_Mc and Roc8995 are right. The 50 watt Retrotube volume at 1 or 2 sounded a lot better than the cranked 1 watt Marshall. You can get great overdrive tones at bedroom levels with a higher wattage amp. You don't need to crank it to get good sounds.

For the same price or cheaper you can get a better amp that can do more than just home practicing and also sounds better for bedroom playing.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
And yeah, Dave_Mc and Roc8995 are right. The 50 watt Retrotube volume at 1 or 2 sounded a lot better than the cranked 1 watt Marshall. You can get great overdrive tones at bedroom levels with a higher wattage amp. You don't need to crank it to get good sounds.

For the same price or cheaper you can get a better amp that can do more than just home practicing and also sounds better for bedroom playing.

I have a great amp that's 50 watt that sounds just as great at low volumes, I wasn't looking at these 1 watt amps to get "great tube tone at low volumes!". I was just interested in the idea of getting some JCM800 tone in a little package for about half the price of the actual thing.
Quote by Lavatain
I have a great amp that's 50 watt that sounds just as great at low volumes, I wasn't looking at these 1 watt amps to get "great tube tone at low volumes!". I was just interested in the idea of getting some JCM800 tone in a little package for about half the price of the actual thing.

Then maybe buy a used JCM800. Oh, and there are many JCM800 "clones" that are cheaper.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Then maybe buy a used JCM800. Oh, and there are many JCM800 "clones" that are cheaper.

It's certainly on my to do list, believe me! Even the used 2203/4s I've seen are over a grand. One day though haha, one day.