So about 1 month ago I bought some D'addario EJ16 phosphor bronze light (12 gauge) acoustic guitar strings. I played on them about ten hours a week. Tonight when I was tuning my guitar the G string snapped on me. (No, I have not been alternate tuning it, the string was just a little flat.) Before the G string snapped on me I thought they sounded great, a little too bright for my taste, but nevertheless, great. I definitely don't want to get another set of the same strings because of the fact they did not last me. I want to try a different brand of strings, so I would appreciate it if anyone would give me some suggestions on what brand to try out. Right now I'm looking at some Ernie Ball 2146 Slinky Phosphor bronze strings.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Brometheas at Jul 25, 2013,
I've always loved Elixir strings. I gave 2 sets to my uncle one year for christmas, and at the next christmas he told me the first set were still on it. They seriously last a loooooong time, and keep sounding good.

I also like the Ernie Ball Earthwood strings.
we've used EJ16s and EJ17s for decades, and never had one break on me. we've had many guitars where our d'addario pb's had hundreds of hours on them many times, and a couple guitars where they didn't get changed for years and while they didn't sound good, they didn't break. i'm thinking either what happened to you was a fluke or you have a tiny sharp or rough patch in the nut slot, tuner hole or on the saddle where your G string rests.

that being said, it's always fun playing with different strings. some favorates: DR rare phosphor bronze add brilliance and depth, cut a little bass on boomy guitars, sound neat. thomastik plectrums are weird and cool - they have THE worst new string sound i've ever heard, but after a few days they become wonderful. they're low tension and a very unique set of strings. martin silk & steels to cut brightness or for a warm, mellow sound. my husband uses slinky strings on one of his guitar, and he must like them on that guitar because he keeps buying the, but i haven't tried 'em.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by Brometheas
So about 1 month ago I bought some D'addario EJ16 phosphor bronze light (12 gauge) acoustic guitar strings. I played on them about ten hours a week. Tonight when I was tuning my guitar the G string snapped on me. (No, I have not been alternate tuning it, the string was just a little flat.) Before the G string snapped on me I thought they sounded great, a little too bright for my taste, but nevertheless, great.
Twelve strings really don't sound good with new strings on them. Like you say, way too bright.

I have a Crafter AE 12 string, and the OEM strings sounded so bad, I thought I wasted 500 bucks. It sounded way worse than a 15YO Epi 12! But, D'Addario to the rescue. I put a coated set on, (EXP), they took forever to break in, but the guitar sounds great now.

So, rule of thumb for twelves, let the strings go dead, they sound way better. What people describe as "that 60's jangle", I call, "an obnoxious racket".
Quote by Brometheas
definitely don't want to get another set of the same strings because of the fact they did not last me. I want to try a different brand of strings, so I would appreciate it if anyone would give me some suggestions on what brand to try out. Right now I'm looking at some Ernie Ball 2146 Slinky Phosphor bronze strings.
OK, the .008 G-3 octave string is easy to break. I pop them all the time missing the first octave above the G-3 prime. You get almost to G5, then POW, flame out.

So, after you've checked for problems in the string path as Patti suggests, just buy a single .008 stuff it on, and forget about restringing the entire guitar.

You can also use an .009 to replace that .008.

I advise against tuning your 12 string up to E standard anyway. Tune to D-D standard, then use a capo. You guitar will not only live longer, but it will be a hell of a lot easier to play as well.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 27, 2013,