So, I recently purchased a Schecter SGR 006, and everything is great except the pickups, so I figured I'd swap them out for some better Humbuckers.

I plan on picking up a set of SX pickups from Rondo Music, because they're $20 for a set. I don't imagine they're going to sound like Lace or Duncans, but it'll definitely be better than the stock SGR pups I've got in there now.

When I swap out the pickups though, I was wondering about Coil Splitting, simply for a more diverse range of sounds, but I don't want to cut into the body or anything, so I was curious which would be the better route to go with.

So, I've seen a lot of guitars with Coil Splitting use push/pull pots, and that's a pretty neat idea to me.

I had also heard about using a 5 way selector instead of the push/pull knob.

So, which would be better? Which would give me more pup combinations, and is it even possible to get more than 5?

I'm pretty new to all this, so any explanations and tips are welcome.

Also, any pickup recommendations are welcome, as I've never played with these SX pick ups before. The only reason I'm not trying to get a SD Hot Rod set is because of the price, but I wouldn't be adverse to saving up if someone could explain the disadvantages of the SX pickups.

Thanks for everything,
SebastianAB12
Don't waist you money, SX pickups are horrible.

The best sound to price pickups you will find are GFS at www.guitarfetish.com There humbuckers are $30ish each and the FaT Pat, VEH, Mean 90 are all really nice pickups.

I have replaced a Dimarzio Super Distortion with the GFS Fat Pat, because it sounds better. I like it better than my Seymour Duncan SH-4 also. And at $30 for the bridge pickup they are an amazing deal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
To use a 5 way switch it has to be a 5 way super switch not a regular strat 5 way.

go here they will have the wire diagram you will need www.guitarelectronics.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would recommend push pull pots unless your 5-way pickup selector is at a nice spot that won't interfere with your rhythm strumming (I like to go crazy...).

As far as pickups go, I'm not sure about what your getting for $20 a set, they might be shady in terms of quality control methods/inspections by the factory. Anyways, whatever pickups you get, make sure that you get a 4-wire pickup to make your life easier in terms of wiring
Quote by Robbgnarly
Don't waist you money, SX pickups are horrible.

The best sound to price pickups you will find are GFS at www.guitarfetish.com There humbuckers are $30ish each and the FaT Pat, VEH, Mean 90 are all really nice pickups.

I have replaced a Dimarzio Super Distortion with the GFS Fat Pat, because it sounds better. I like it better than my Seymour Duncan SH-4 also. And at $30 for the bridge pickup they are an amazing deal.

A big +1
Push pull pots are twice as deep as a regular one. Your guitar might not be thick enough for them.
A lot of GFS pickups are able to coil tap as well.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls