Will the gain on the interface cause fizz if it is set too high? or this all on the way you set the tone of your guitar or eqing?
Yes, it will cause clipping if you turn it up too loud.

Please, you can post more than one question in one thread, stop making new ones and just post replies to old one.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Hey man, I need a free EQ vst. Id like for it to be a parametric one that lets you shape the Q on it. Apparently you cubase. :/ Do you know any good ones?
Look through the plugins that Cubase comes with. It should have a good parametric EQ in there somewhere. I'd be very surprised if it didn't, unless you bought a really cheap version. Hell, the parametric that comes with FL is incredible, and it's not as geared towards instrumental music as Cubase is.
Quote by RazzleMCR1
Apparently you cubase. :/ Do you know any good ones?

Apparently I cubase? As in you've heard I use cubase?

I'm not sure what you're saying but I don't use cubase, I use Studio One and REAPER.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Well, if this helps, I got Cubase AI 6. So far Ive found only one parametric EQ, but Im not able to set the shape of the Q or band or whatever you wanna call it.
Also, will the compression and gain on my interface cause my sound to have that extra fizz? Ive got most of it out so far, but I was just wondering about that.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Apparently I cubase? As in you've heard I use cubase?

I'm not sure what you're saying but I don't use cubase, I use Studio One and REAPER.

I meant do say, "Cubase doesnt let you do that." :p my bad.
Quote by RazzleMCR1
Also, will the compression and gain on my interface cause my sound to have that extra fizz? Ive got most of it out so far, but I was just wondering about that.

If you keep it below clipping, no, that shouldn't cause extra fizz. It might amplify any instrument/cable noise if you have too much gain, though, so be careful about not using any more gain that you need.
Okay. So, I have got the fizz out that I wanted, but Id like to have the volume of the highs of the guitars too. Like, its not guitarish, and its muffled. But I EQd those frequencies out. Anything I can do to fix that?
On my interface the input gain is literally at 0 and my pad on when I record guitars.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by Cavalcade
It might amplify any instrument/cable noise if you have too much gain, though, so be careful about not using any more gain that you need.

I am not that sure about that. As long as the signal:noise ratio doesn't change it won't matter. The only case that it will matter would probably be when you turn the guitar's volume knob too low so you try to raise the gain very high to compensate.
Last edited by Sethis at Jul 26, 2013,
Quote by Sethis
I am not that sure about that. As long as the signal:noise ratio doesn't change it won't matter. The only case that it will matter would probably be when you turn the guitar's volume knob too low so you try to raise the gain very high to compensate.

Think about it. Past a certain amount of gain/distortion, the output isn't going to get any louder; just more distorted. But the noise, which was at a low enough level to begin with, will be amplified more.
I'm not talking about when the signal hits the "red zone". That should be avoided at all times anyway as the useful signal will get distorted in a nasty way. I'm talking about right below it.
I'm talking about the signal after the FX chain; ie what you hear in the final recording. Obviously the DI signal won't be in the red, but on this forum, it's safe to assume there will be a ton of gain after it, in the amp sim (and maybe a boost/comp pedal).
Quote by ChemicalFire
I use Studio One and REAPER.

You are truly a man of taste and distinction

I think our esteemed friend Mr Razzle, being presumably of sound mind and judgement, may nevertheless need to fully acquaint himself a little further with the most basic, rudimentary aspects of the recording process before enquiring on matters in which he is ill-informed in a public forum.

TL;DR: RTFM