Hi Guys,

I've been saving for months for a new head and cab and been thinking constantly about which to buy. I'm going for a post-hardcore sound with a touring band but would still like to be able to play pop punk and then really heavy metalcore stuff.

The main sound I'm looking for is that similar to Sleeping With Sirens, Broadway, Emarosa etc but with the ability to play similar to Memphis May Fire and A Day To Remember etc.

All of these bands used to use 6505's and sounded sweet but a lot have moved onto Orange TH30's or Rockerverbs. I've narrowed it down to between the 6505+ and an Orange TH100 due to price range and that.

I don't have any music shops near enough to try them. I've always been set on the 6505 but recently have been moving towards orange.

I've read heaps of reviews, heaps of forums (including this one) and really can't decide. Either way, I think both amps will suit me but I don't wanna have to purchase another one for a long time.

ANY help would be much appreciated. I will be running it through an Orange PPC412 with a Fended American Telecaster.

Thanks guys.
Last edited by Craiigo at Jul 24, 2013,
Orange for loose, fuzzy gain. 6505 for tightness. They're worlds apart, really. You can always chuck something like a Bad Monkey or a TS9 on the TH100 to tighten things up a bit (which isn't bad on the 6505 either).

Depending on where you are, you'll probably have better luck finding a 6505 on the used market for super cheap. You could use the spare cash finding something used on spare tubes and an OD.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I'd still go the 6505. There's a reason people generally just consider them the go to high gain head. It's easily resold if you don't get on with it as well.
Most of the bands I've listed all used 6505's and moved to oranges but your opinions all make sense. Keep them coming!
Last edited by Craiigo at Jul 24, 2013,
Quote by Craiigo
Most of the bands I've listed all used 6505's and moved to oranges but your opinions all make sense. Keep them coming!

Well seems pretty simple, find out which albums you like the tone of more, find out if they used the 6505 or Orange for it, then go with that.

Both amps are great for that genre, for different reasons.

You should just get both an ABY them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Are you able to try them for yourself?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Mesa Boogie's have always seemed cool to me. Haven't really played them though. Maybe give those a look?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
TH100 is not best choice for everything you want. The bands you said use RV's now, the TH100 is quite different from the RV's in tone/tightness.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm not able to try them myself as I don't live near any music shops. I've used my mates 6505 and loved it. I know some of those bands TH-30's but think the 6505 might be the choice for me as I've heard it by all those bands live and loved it
Last edited by Craiigo at Jul 25, 2013,
The 6505 will do what you want better than the TH100 IMO. But they sound different and my tastes may be quite different than yours. I have been using Marshall and marshall voiced amps for a while now, but before I really liked the Mesa tone.

You really need to do as much research on them as possible if you can not try them first.

can you find a TH30 to try? that is basically the 30 watt TH100. It will give you a great idea if that is what you want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Done heaps of research for months and for my personal taste and everything im playing, I think the 6505 is perfect. Found out that on my favourite album they used a 6505 and seen videos of them using it live too. Sold me. Always wanted a 6505 but Orange was just a curioisty. Thanks for all the help guys.
Back to square 1!

Really can't decide between the 6505 and the Orange head! I see loads of bands that used to use a 6505 now using Orange's (Sleeping With Sirens, Broadway, Hands Like Houses etc) and they all still sound good but I like both and I really can't decide

I'm not able to try them out and have a budget around £1200 for the head. Any ideas? I still wanna be able to play breakdowns and heavy things but have a warm crunch when I need!

Cheers
In 9 and a half hours you went from dead set to completely unsure again. Just get a 6505+. The more you think about it the more likely you might always wish you got the 6505. I'm sure that's the amp for you, the crunch mode (or just dialling the gain down to about 2 on the high gain channel) will certainly do the more pop punk stuff.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I almost bought a 6505. It's a really great amp, but your clean sound is going to be as clean as ACDC. The one thing that amp doesn't really do is cleans, so if you need a clean channel for anything, I'd suggest a different amp. I went with the Peavey 3120. It's got good cleans and is a gain monster- more so than the 6505 if you ask me.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
This is the exact sound I'm going for;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0307a7K2uY8

Do you's think I would be better with 6505 or Orange TH100? I think they used TH30's when recording this. I need high gain but a warm crunch aswell. I am the most indecisive person ever

The Orange TH100 is cheaper than the 6505+ for some reason. I don't wanna be tied to just heavy stuff if the Orange can match it and still cope with breakdowns etc.
If you get an eq pedal to put in the fx loop of the th100 you will make the amp way better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Why not an RV? Half those guys have been using RVs....
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
Quote by Remnest
Why not an RV? Half those guys have been using RVs....

Meant to say my budget was around £1000, really cant afford much more after getting a PPC412 too! Really intersted in the TH100 after watching loads of videos and seeing bands use them live.
I have a TH30 that I really like. Chose it over an RV, personally. The RV is a great amplifier though, if you want reverb and more wattage than 30, I'd certainly pick it up. Do you need the 412, though? Maybe you could get an RV and an Orange 212? It'll still be plenty loud.

The TH30 is a fizzy mess without an overdrive for metal, so if you were to get a TH, get an OD-808 or TS-9 with it. With an overdrive, it's capable of about anything you throw at it, in my opinion.
Quote by Craiigo
This is the exact sound I'm going for;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0307a7K2uY8

Do you's think I would be better with 6505 or Orange TH100? I think they used TH30's when recording this. I need high gain but a warm crunch aswell. I am the most indecisive person ever

The Orange TH100 is cheaper than the 6505+ for some reason. I don't wanna be tied to just heavy stuff if the Orange can match it and still cope with breakdowns etc.

That is not a 6505.

However a 6505 is also not a one trick pony. I've owned a 5150, and I own a 6505 now. It can certainly do crunch, and it certainly can do cleans. Anyone who can't get cleans out of a 6505 simply hasn't bothered to turn any knobs on it.

But regardless, the sound in that video is much more British than American.

The Orange might work. But something like a Marshall DSL is definitely worth looking at as well. Most post hardcore bands use JCM800s I believe, in the studio at least. A JCM2000 is basically a JCM800 with more gain available and a clean channel available.

Also look for a VHT Pitbull. That may be harder to acquire, but it would be great for that tone I think.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X