I play an Epiphone Les Paul Junior through a Blackstar HT-5R.

I really like the tones I can get out of the Blackstar, but I feel a bit limited by only having 2 channels. Basically what I'd like is to have an OD pedal to get some variety as far as gain and tone goes. As is I usually have the clean channel set super clean, and the OD channel set to a nice rock tone. Pretty crunchy, but only as much gain as I need.

What I'd like the pedal to do is take the clean channel just to the point where it's breaking up, and to +1 the gain channel. I'd also like a bit of tone shaping, as well.

Obvious thoughts are the HT-Drive by Blackstar, because it has the same tube the tone should be pretty much the same (?), but at $180 where i am it's a bit exxy. My wallet would much prefer something like a $100 BD-2.

So yeah, HT5/R owners, which OD pedals are you using, and how? Which pedals play nice with the amps gain channel?

I should also mention that living in regional NSW means the local music stores have a pretty limited range of effects and amps to try out, so playing before I buy is probably not gonna happen.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I play a pretty wide range of music. Mostly rock and blues, but also a bit of metal here and there and a few other bits and pieces on occasion.
Last edited by Grimm312 at Jul 25, 2013,
You just need something Tubescreamer based. Look into the Ibanez TS9, TS808, etc. If you wanna save some cash, look at the Digitech Bad Monkey. Most music stores should have those.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
I haven't tried the ht5, but +1 on the bad monkey. the screamin' blues is pretty nice too (it's a bd2 clone on the cheap with a bass control) for a more transparent boost. for all they go for you could get both to really have some nice versatility with your boosts.

FWIW I'm not sure it makes much sense to go with the blackstar pedal- as you said, you already more or less have the pedal built into the amp, so it'd arguably make more sense to get something which'll change your tone. Conversely, something which won't affect your tone much (like the screamin blues or even a clean boost) can be got for a lot cheaper than the blackstar if you do want the blackstar tone (since you already have the blackstar tone).

EDIT: and yeah the tube isn't the only thing affecting the tone. both the amp and pedal have a lot of solid state stuff going on inside them aside from the tube. Even in an all-tube amp the tubes aren't the only things affecting the tone, not by a long shot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had a feeling it was going to come down to a TS or a Blues Driver. How do the Bad Monkey and Sreamin' Blues compare? I've been doing lot's of youtubing, and to my ear the Blues Driver is what appeals to me most because it sounds a bit ... crisper?, and the Screamin' Blues sounds like it takes it that step too far and makes it sound a bit artificial.

There's a TS7 at my local, but they didn't have a guitar with a humbucker OR a gainy tube amp last time I was there. Here's to hoping they do soon, I'd like to hear at least one of them for real before I buy, so I at least have a reference point.
i haven't tried them head to head so i dunno

I will say that the bass control is very handy to give you more control over your tone. However, if they don't sound as good as the originals, that extra control might not be worth it to you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?