Does anyone know if there's a good site for this? Or does anyone here know enough about them to identify one for me?

I've come across a fretless black and maple PJ bass being sold with a serial that indicates 78-81 and the Fullerton factory in California. But I don't think I've ever seen one like it before, so I'd just like to double check that it's genuine before making inquiries. The J pickup is cream but pickups and covers can be replaced. It has four controls, a thumbrest and a switch. Looks like it needs a new nut but that's easy enough. It seems to have more screws on the pickguard than usual and it doesn't quite look right to me in general. But I'm nowhere near an expert on Fenders. There are so many models that it's entirely possible I just haven't come across one before.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
It definitely looks legit. Nothing about the logo/hardware/screw positioning etc looks suspicious to me, and it all looks period correct. I've seen a fair few examples of those unlined maple fretless 70's P basses, but they never seem to come up in black. I don't know if that's just that they're rare, or that this is a refin (judging by the condition of the finish and the age, I suspect a refin). The extra J pick-up is most likely an after-market mod. The electronics have been modded to suit, although I can't quite figure out what's going on there. Perhaps a tone and volume for each pick-up plus the pick-up selector, or perhaps it's had a 2 band EQ added and has a master volume and tone. The mods look kind of ugly to me and should probably shave a bit off the value of the bass.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
I didn't think it was all stock and was kind of thinking that someone might have put a Fender neck on another body. But that's good to know. Thanks.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Quote by GAPendragon
I didn't think it was all stock and was kind of thinking that someone might have put a Fender neck on another body. But that's good to know. Thanks.

That's entirely possible too; I didn't consider that. The only real way to know would be take the neck off and check for a stamp in the neck pocket. Some sellers take a lot of convincing to do that; especially if they know it's not what they claim it is.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Ah well, it's worth a try. If he refuses to do it, it's probably not worth the risk. Thanks again.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
Last edited by GAPendragon at Jul 25, 2013,
Definitely ask the seller for more info about it, if it's legit then he should have no problem looking for a number in the neck pocket or on the underside end of the neck heel. Without more info its hard to be sure just from the pictures, it could be a mutt with an old Fender neck, it could be a modded bass that's sat in a closet for years.

If it is legit, mods like the extra J pup, brass nut, and whacky control schemes and mods weren't out of the ordinary. If the seller is the original owner try to get some info from him on what all has been done to the bass and when.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I'm pretty sure if theres a R on a circle and at the end and above fender, That means repeat doesn't it?
Or just check where its made.
-Let the led out-
Quote by Led Zep fan
I'm pretty sure if theres a R on a circle and at the end and above fender, That means repeat doesn't it?
Or just check where its made.

That little R in the circle means "registered trademark" in regards to the Fender name and logo.

As for where it's made, the tiny print under "Precision Bass" should read: made in USA, which IIRC would be period correct. Previously (before Fender started up overseas facilities) it wouldn't matter because they were all made in the USA. And there's the body and all the other parts to consider, even if the neck is correct, it's entirely plausible that it's a parts bass and there may or may not be any way to 100% identify where everything came from.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The serial says it's American. I actually forgot to check back at the end of the auction and it's ended now, but he didn't reply to my message anyway. He did post someone else's question though with the claim that any modifications were done by whoever had it before him.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat