I have a Peavey 6505+ Combo Amp because I wanted to be just like those metal bands. That was three years ago, and my tastes are more into the blues. I don't really want to change amps but now I'm starting to get pedals. My question is, should i go out and spend $100 on a tubescreamer if i already get a solid amount of gain? What do you think?
If you don't need one, don't buy one
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
People don't use tubescreamers in front of metal amps to add gain. They add compression and cut bass, which amount to a much tighter, more defined sound.

Depending on what kind of blues tones you want, your amp may be fine. I haven't really tried on my 6505, but on the 5150 212 I used to have, I could dial in a really awesome dirty blues rock tone (Think "The Final Cut" by Coheed and Cambria).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
you need an amp that is made for blues, the 6505 is a good amp for metal, but not my first choice for the blues
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Offworld92
People don't use tubescreamers in front of metal amps to add gain. They add compression and cut bass, which amount to a much tighter, more defined sound.

to be fair, they do kinda use them to add gain as well. that's what cranking the level and setting the drive control low does.

it does the compression and bass cut thing too, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
to be fair, they do kinda use them to add gain as well. that's what cranking the level and setting the drive control low does.

it does the compression and bass cut thing too, of course.

I know. I considered expanding my statement, but I guess I kind of lost my train of thought.

I mean, they do add gain, but... not in the sense that turning up the gain knob on your amp does. Turning your gain to max on your amp will not get you anywhere near the tight and defined sound that just running a tubescreamer in front with your amp's gain up halfway will.

It's not a matter of just adding gain or turning up the gain whatsoever. Introducing a tubescreamer to your chain makes it a whole different ballgame. Mine makes a colossal difference. On its own, my 6505 sounds weak and flabby (at house volumes). Nothing at all like what you think of when you think of a 6505. I turn on my M77 (or TS7 or SD-1), and bam, it's like magic, makes the amp sound 100x more like what they sound like in the recordings. It's the single most important pedal in my chain.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd start by sorting out the amp so it's more like what you need. The simplest way to do that is to try lower gain tubes. you can stick just about anything into a 6505, even 12AU7's. Here's the gain factors of the commonly available tubes:
12AX7 - 100
5751 - 70
12AT7 - 60
12AY7 - 45
12AU7 - 19

Once you've made the amp more bluesey you can start to think about pedals to compliment it. You'll never turn it into a proper blues amp but you can get it closer with the right tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
There are a lot more overdrives than Tube Screamers. I would check some of them out to get a more bluesy tone. Overdrives and distortion pedals aren't necessarily about more gain. They offer a completely different type of sound that you can't get with the amplifier alone. As stated above, people use Tube Screamers in metal all the time just to tighten up their sound rather than getting more gain. If they wanted more gain, they could just increase the gain on the amp. The overdrive gives the amp a different flavor. You wouldn't be using an overdrive like that for the blues but an overdrive could be very useful with the 6505 since it doesn't have the best clean and crunch tones.
I would listen to Cathbard, he is extremely knowledgeable.

Don't know much it would be at higher volume,.

The good thing about tubes is that they are plug and play on a 6505 bias doesn't need adjusted.

So if you did pick up new tubes and didn't like the amp, just put the tubes back that were in there and save some tubes that may be useful.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Try Cathbard's suggestion. I've actually recorded a blues tune through one of these and it didn't sound bad, maybe just a little too distorted. You can also roll off the volume and see if you like it, might want to also try lower output pickups but the voicing of that amp is a bit aggressive so results might vary.
Quote by Offworld92
I know. I considered expanding my statement, but I guess I kind of lost my train of thought.

I mean, they do add gain, but... not in the sense that turning up the gain knob on your amp does. Turning your gain to max on your amp will not get you anywhere near the tight and defined sound that just running a tubescreamer in front with your amp's gain up halfway will.

It's not a matter of just adding gain or turning up the gain whatsoever. Introducing a tubescreamer to your chain makes it a whole different ballgame. Mine makes a colossal difference. On its own, my 6505 sounds weak and flabby (at house volumes). Nothing at all like what you think of when you think of a 6505. I turn on my M77 (or TS7 or SD-1), and bam, it's like magic, makes the amp sound 100x more like what they sound like in the recordings. It's the single most important pedal in my chain.

no worries I do that too

And yeah it's different from turning up your gain. As you said, it's a bit like using hotter pickups. I think it's because it lets you overdrive v1, whereas turning up the gain on the amp increases the distortion downfield a bit from that (one of the later preamp gain stages).

I think. cath or someone like that will be able to explain it better than i can.

and yeah low gain tubes like cath suggested may well be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Chase.A
I have a Peavey 6505+ Combo Amp because I wanted to be just like those metal bands.
10 star post, nyguh.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend