A month ago after a gig I played with my band a guy told me that one of the riffs we played the night sounded awfully familiar. When I came up with the melody I didn't recall hearing anything like it before, so I don't think I stole it, at least not consiously.
When I played the same thing on piano I heared a friend saying she had heared it before as well.

First guy said it sounded like it came from a famous movie soundtrack or something. Can you help me identify it?

Hope I chose the correct thread.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments:
Have I stolen this GP5 version.gp5
it reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YS25j6lNWsA&t=79

which i bet is not what they were thinking of. it's not the most unique idea in the world so it's bound to be reminiscent of something. not to put down your work, it was a nice arrangement.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
it's from The Day The Clown Cried

but really it just sounds like really generic 90s/early 00s hard rock. it all sounds the same to me so i can't be any more specific but it's not like it's anything really interesting or good anyway
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Reminds me of this. Here's the acoustic version for easier melody listening.

Start around 1:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40VLiPtkfSw
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I wouldn't worry about it.

Page stole riffs and whole songs blatantly. McCartney once said that their early work was just them ripping off other people's songs but people didn't realize on account of their accents which made them sound original. Bob Dylan was a practitioner of the "poor artists borrow, great artists steal" philosophy. In standard folk tradition he lifted melodies, chord progressions, lyrical lines, and entire arrangements from other songs and artists often without credit, (just ask Dave Van Ronk).

Of course sometimes you can get it wrong like George Harrison with My Sweet Lord (great song that it is it was a direct, though unintentional, rip off of He's So Fine). Other times the benefit of the doubt comes in when there is only slight variations. Joe Satriani failed in his attempt to sue Cold Play a few years back even though the melodies were very similar, some observers pointed out that the same melody was used before either of them in a Cat Stevens song.

So forget about it, it's not worth losing sleep over.
Si
Quote by Hail
it's from The Day The Clown Cried

but really it just sounds like really generic 90s/early 00s hard rock. it all sounds the same to me so i can't be any more specific but it's not like it's anything really interesting or good anyway

Beautiful.
TS, the only thing you're guilty of writing mediocre modern rock. I'm sure someone's used it or a similar progression, but riffs are recycled so often in today's heavier music unless it's a signature riff from a big band's song no-one will care.
That chord progression is in so many songs. Yeah, it sounded really familiar but I can't tell a song it is from. i-bVI-bVII is one of the most common chord progressions and the rhythm was also pretty basic. Yeah, as Hail said, sounds pretty generic hard rock.

But as people have said, I wouldn't care about it that much. Melodies in today's pop music are recycled so much. Every song uses the same chords and the melodies are pretty obvious. For example listen to the intro of Drive By and the chorus of Tacata. Both songs use the same chords (i-bVI-bIII-bVII) and the same notes in their melody (5-b6-5-4). "Tacata" is in double tempo but they have the same chords and the same melody.

I accidentally borrowed a riff from War Pigs and didn't even notice it until somebody told me about it. But the song has a different feeling so it sounds different. Here it is if you want to listen to it. The main riff is from War Pigs. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MaggaraMarine/music/play1070745
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 26, 2013,
It sounds familiar.

But as my old music professor once said: "Steal from one person, it's plagiarism. Steal from everybody, it's research."

Not sure if it's his original quote but that's who I heard it from.
One of my teachers (talking about literature) said, "All artists steal; great artists steal blatantly."
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
One of my teachers (talking about literature) said, "All artists steal; great artists steal blatantly."

There's a million versions of that quote, but the one I've heard most is, "Good artists borrow, great artists steal." Stravinsky apparently said, "A good composer does not imitate, he steals."
"i will gladly pay you tuesday for a hamburger today"
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I agree with other people, don't worry about it I have written a few songs that people have told me I stole and shouldn't use, I just tell them, that if that was stealing, then most bands would be in jail right now.

But, at least try to make it kind of original, I was listening to a Christian band someone said to check out, and every song was just an old metal song with new words -_- but even though words sounded similar, just putting like God or Jesus in it every few lines.

People are stupid when they do that, but I think it is almost impossible to get a song that doesn't sound like another song