Hey, I'm a pretty experienced guitarist, and I'm very good with chords and electric solos and such, but when it comes down to no pick, straight up acoustic fingering is not my best skill. I have problems with fluidly moving around the fret board. For instance, I want to play Landslide by Smashing Pumpkins (the tab) but I just cant move around that fast on the acoustic compared to electric. How can I play complicated fast-ish songs like this with no pick? Also, Any help with improvising?
Well first of all, "Landslide" is Fleetwood Mac song, written by Stevie Nicks: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/f/fleetwood_mac/landslide_crd.htm (It's on, "Fleetwood Mac", by Fleetwood Mac". (This was during their, "screw the Beatles, we want our own white album" phase). I don't know that that's true, I just added it for embellishment. Still: http://stevie-nicks.info/fleetwood-mac-1975/
]
Second, Lindsey Buckingham is one of the better finger style guitarists in all of rock.

As somebody used to flat picking, I can probably push out more notes with a pick than finger style in the same amount of time. So, I feel your pain. Also, you tend to revert to your normal picking style when you encounter unfamiliar motions and doubt whether you're making good progress. There's a certain component of learning to play all over again, to a person who has played many years with a pick only.

So, have your guitar set up properly, to make fingering it as easy as possible.

Consider "hybrid picking". You play with a pick, but also pull notes with the middle & index fingers.

Acoustic guitars, by in large don't sustain very well. So, an acoustic solo is always going to have a different character than electric, and require pretty darn good technique to pull it off. You would have to cheat with a volume pedal and/or a compressor in the context of a group to maintain volume.

But most importantly, practice, practice, practice.......then practice some more.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 25, 2013,
i play mostly fingerstyle, and actually i play landslide with ease. as the captain says, make sure your guitar is set up properly - that used to be a problem for me. and once you have that done, practice is it. practice slowly at first, 'cause if you practice so you play the easy parts fast and the not so easy parts slow, you're going to learn it that way. practice slowly enough to easily play the entire thing fluidly, speed up once you have that down.

and then keep practicing. there is no shortcut - practice, whether with drums, guitar, piano, bass or any instrument, practice is the key to playing smoothly, smoother transitions, and IMO playing is always more fun once you know your fingerboard (or drum set up or keyboard or whatever) so well you don't have to think while you play.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
An easy way to play fluid acoustic fingerstyle is to fingerpick over chord shapes. Once you learn the chords and rhythm, then melody from the chords comes pretty easily.
but you still have to have control over your picking hand. most newish fingerstyle players have to work on smoothness there, too.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by Captaincranky
Well first of all, "Landslide" is Fleetwood Mac song...

I came here to say this.

TS, You are hereby charged with misidentifying a cover as an original. I'm sentencing you to 18 months hard listening for your infraction. If you can prove you've learnt you lesson at your parole hearing in 12 months, the warden'll let you out early.
I would have clarified that I knew it was a cover if I knew I would get so much nitpicking... The pumpkin's version is a little different.
Quote by RBpunk
I would have clarified that I knew it was a cover if I knew I would get so much nitpicking... The pumpkin's version is a little different.
My nitpicking was relatively minor, but necessary as a segue to my infamous editorializing.