so I'm getting a new acoustic guitar, my price range is about $250-325. I want to play green day, Nirvana unplugged, foo fighters type stuff. Does anybody have any suggestions? Here's some examples of songs I want to play:

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Edit: I would also like the guitar to be electric acoustic, so I can plug in for a little more sound occasionally.
Last edited by ehbacon at Jul 25, 2013,
keeping in mind there's processing to help create those tones, they mostly sound martiny dready to me. most of the guitars in your price tend not to be so dark, and at $350 for an acoustic electric, some compromises will have to be made.

the second, third and fourth guitars on this page
http://elderly.com/brand/20N_recording%20king.html
were my first thought, but none of them are acoustic electric. they are solid tops and pretty faithful martin recreations, and are excellent values.

i also thought of blueridge, which makes some very nice martin copies (i own a blueridge, and have played many), but a little above your price range, although this is pretty close and loewr than music stores i checked. again, no pickup. http://www.amazon.com/Blueridge-BR-40-Contemporary-Dreadnaught-Guitar/dp/B001G7DD4G

while not as dark as the guitars in the clips you supplied, this yamaha is a great deal with a solid top, choice of several gloss finishes and pretty nice electronics.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fgx700sc-solid-top-cutaway-acoustic-electric-guitar

if saving money is really important, this is a little cheaper, and while it doesn't have a solid top, imo it's the best all laminate acoustic electric you can buy http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fx370c-f-series-cutaway-acoustic-electric

btw, kurt cobain played a 1953 martin D18e. a new one would cost you $2500. it has different bracing and all solid woods, so you're not going to get that tone for $350 or less, but if you're plugging in or micing, you can tweak the tone of whatever you get.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/martin-d-18e-retro-series-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-guitar
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Jul 26, 2013,
tough one ..not much $ allowed for a decent elec/acou. would a used one be in your considerations? you'll get better for your money.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
being that i consider "dookie" to be one of the finest albums of the last 50 years, i play a lot of green day. a yamaha fgx730 used would be a good choice. i love my Ovations( but they have they're own distinct sound that some don't understand or like) and think a mid-bowl O would work well. great preamps, good easy necks( especially if your coming from the electric world). i'm a big fan of the Elite series. i have but one Ovation left but, i still find myself playing it more than my higher end guitars still.
stepchildusmc, i'm not sure a yamaha fgx730 would be enough better than an fgx700 to be worth going used, although i, too, prefer the 730's tone. imo a mid-bowl ovation doesn't have the dread sound i hear in the videos posted, but could be a good choice if the op is flexible about the sound.

to the OP, you might also check out fender, epiphone, takamine and ibanez guitars in your price range and see what you think.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
true enough on the fgx700. i always forget about that one ! i recommend the fg700 so much i forget about it's plugged in sibling ! and about the O, that's why i put in the little blurb about it's subjectivity. i love greenday on my O plugged in.
okay, it looks like I don't have many options for my price range, so I'll raise it to $300-500 (less is always good, but I really would rather have a great $500 guitar instead of an ok $300 guitar.
i'm loving the Taylor GS mini more and more. i havent picked one up yet(bought), but my finger is getting that little tingle, sweat's building up on the pad, breathing excercises enforced.... i know those signs...time to pull the trigger on that GS mini !!(just have to wait for my last ordered one to get here first)
and since it's been upped, why not try and find that Yammie FGX730? geat guitar for what your looking to do with it.
try going to youtube and looking up camparisons and such. musicvilla.com has fantastic reviews on a lot of guitars.
Last edited by stepchildusmc at Jul 26, 2013,
sorry for the bump, just wanted to tell you guys that I decided on the fgx730. thanks for the help!
no apology needed baconboy ! when you get it, please post a HNGD( Happy New Guitar Day) so the rest of us can enjoy your new baby as well. lots of pics and a brief summation of your "honeymoon opinions" of it. i can't wait... i love HNGD's i don't usually post them myself( i buy/sell too many), but i'll post a HNGD of my newest( should be here this weekend) when you get yours up...deal?
Quote by ehbacon
sorry for the bump, just wanted to tell you guys that I decided on the fgx730. thanks for the help!
Keep in mind, if you wait for the next holiday, you might be able to pick up the Yamaha FGX-700 in the 260-270 range at any of the online etailers.. These have pretty much the same electronics, but a solid top. That would get you a bit closer to the sound I think you
Quote by stepchildusmc
no apology needed baconboy ! when you get it, please post a HNGD( Happy New Guitar Day) so the rest of us can enjoy your new baby as well. lots of pics and a brief summation of your "honeymoon opinions" of it. i can't wait... i love HNGD's i don't usually post them myself( i buy/sell too many), but i'll post a HNGD of my newest( should be here this weekend) when you get yours up...deal?

deal

might be a while though, might wait until the holiday season to see if I can get a deal. I'm definitely looking forward to it though! Thanks for the help