so i was soldering in the ground for my new sh-1n today and now the neck pickup doesn't work. even better, the middle pickup doesn't work anymore either (it wasn't changed)

i'm thinking i burned out the neck vol pot. what're the signs of a burned out pot? does it just stop working altogether?

also, why would the middle pup stop working like that?
sigless
It's pretty obvious if it isn't working because the control will feel extremely loose. It sounds to me as if the switch could be the problem if two of your pickups aren't working but the bridge one is.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Cut out all the other variables. Wire the pickups straight to the output jack and tap the pole pieces with something metal to check if you can hear them. Then wire the switch in, then the pots. I'd check the switch like Eddie said though, that would be the primary suspect here. You might have just inadvertently wired it wrong or knocked a wire loose when you were changing out the neck pickup.

If you've got access to a multimeter you just check continuity and pot resistance, but I assume you don't have one.
Quote by eddiehimself
It's pretty obvious if it isn't working because the control will feel extremely loose

as in the volume knob being loose? i don't see how that makes sense if its just an electrical component that's damaged.

i didn't touch anything except for what the previous pickups were connected to. i didn't mess with the switch connections at all. i didn't go near the middle pickup connections either.

Quote by Roc8995
Cut out all the other variables. Wire the pickups straight to the output jack and tap the pole pieces with something metal to check if you can hear them. Then wire the switch in, then the pots. I'd check the switch like Eddie said though, that would be the primary suspect here. You might have just inadvertently wired it wrong or knocked a wire loose when you were changing out the neck pickup.

If you've got access to a multimeter you just check continuity and pot resistance, but I assume you don't have one.

maybe i'll just pick up a multimeter in order to avoid messing things up further...

the pup that works is a 4 conductor sh-14 (custom 5)

the sh-1 is in the neck and its just a single braided wire. i'll remove the solder in the morning and try to do it again more cleanly. if it still doesn't work then i guess i'll grab a multimeter.
still, i don't see how i could have messed up the middle pup, as i think its extremely unlikely that the components were wired in series....

(the guitar is a epiphone g400 custom (with three humbuckers stock))
the wiring is a shitshow. considering taking it to a shop and getting a complete rewire if all else fails.
sigless
Last edited by sysD at Jul 26, 2013,
The volume pot wouldn't cause just the middle and neck pickups to stop working, though. So you must have hit something.

And no, a fried pot won't necessarily feel loose.

What guitar is this? It would help us diagnose your wiring issue if we actually know what the wiring looks like.
Quote by sysD
as in the volume knob being loose? i don't see how that makes sense if its just an electrical component that's damaged.

Well strictly speaking it's actually an electromechanical component so the electrical function is directly linked to the mechanical feel of it. It's pretty much a classic rookie mistake: you spend way too long with the soldering iron on top of the volume pot when you put in a new pickup and it ends up getting too hot and coming loose. As I say though, I don't even think that's the problem here.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
Well strictly speaking it's actually an electromechanical component so the electrical function is directly linked to the mechanical feel of it. It's pretty much a classic rookie mistake: you spend way too long with the soldering iron on top of the volume pot when you put in a new pickup and it ends up getting too hot and coming loose. As I say though, I don't even think that's the problem here.

ah, ok.

still seems strange but i guess that's just because i'm a newb. i figured heat would make metal expand (opposite of something coming loose, lol).

before today, i haven't used a soldering iron since i was 17 and messing around with patch cords. i did the neck pup first and it was sloppy as all hell. did the bridge next and it was MUCH cleaner and took 1/5 as long lol.

Quote by Roc8995

What guitar is this? It would help us diagnose your wiring issue if we actually know what the wiring looks like.

gtr is an epiphone g-400 custom.
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/SG/G-400-Custom.aspx

schematic (too large to attach here): http://postimg.org/image/gdswvb2g7/
sigless
Concur with the switch. I hate wiring switches.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
if it's a three way it's most definitely the switch.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
yeah, its a three-way. its hard to see what's going on in there. its annoying placed in a cramped corner of the cavity (the same spot where the wires from the pups come from).

okay, so i've played around with it a little bit and here's what i've found:

With BRIDGE pup selected
-selects mid and bridge. all good

With MID pup selected
-selects bridge, mid, and (i'm assuming) the neck
-the neck doesn't work at all.
-strange thing... even though the neck's not producing sound, when the neck volume pot is turned to 10, the signal from the bridge and mid pups cuts out completely.

With NECK pup selected
-selects mid and (i'm assuming) the neck
-again, the neck pup produces no sound. the only sound comes from the mid pup.
-and, again, when the neck volume pot is turned to 10, all sound cuts out

sigless
i think it was a short. i resoldered the pup this morning and pulled the grounding braid back from the lead (and taped it up). works great now.

thanks for the input everyone
sigless