What, pray tell, does intermediate level mean? Price point and intended genres would be nice.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Ibanez SR300F
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
A bass that you like that you defret yourself? We need more information to really answer the question.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
sorry, not too clear...
$600-$900 NZD - Which is $450-700 US, but instruments are way more expensive in NZ, so a 700 US bass would probably be 1100-1200 here.... :-(
And not one to defret, an already fretless one.
Also are ones with frets marked easier to play?
Get a Squier VM Fretless. Killer instruments for the money, I've played several examples and all have been top notch. Ebanol board means you can stick rounds on it too without worrying.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by Ziphoblat
Get a Squier VM Fretless. Killer instruments for the money, I've played several examples and all have been top notch. Ebanol board means you can stick rounds on it too without worrying.

The ebanol will fog up though. It's still the best bass to get but you should know that before you buy it. My Squier Deluxe Jazz's board did that and I was a bit disappointed.