Hmm... let's see, this situation is like, I understand it, but it's not quite clear.

The guy in this video is explaining what I'm asking [forbidden link] but I'm still blind to it, and I'm sure I'll have to keep playing around until I figure it out which I'll do right after this post and some RE5... heh....

So first, I've seen a thread sort of asking this question, it was "mixing up scales", but I have a specific misunderstanding.

I understand that soloing over chords is a method used, BUT while I know the scales and practice them everyday, I don't know understand this concept.

I'll use a simple progression. Cmaj Fmaj Gmaj

My question is, if I want to solo within this progression do I stay in the Cmajor scale or do switch to Fmajor scale and Gmajor scale...

Cmaj(start here)

-------------
-------------
-------------
---7-9--10(C)-----
-7--8---10------
---8(C)---10----- or over bar chord

Fmaj

-------------
-------------
-------------
-0--2---3(F)-----
-0--1---3------
---1(F)---3----- or over bar chord

Gmaj(end here)

-------------
-------------
-------------
--2---4--5(G)-----
-2--3---5------
---3(G)---5----- or over bar chord

do i play it in this order, i have only one other idea of how to play it all in Cmajor, which would mean finding the CAGED chords in each position... or... is there another way to play this progression in a Cmajor.

If you could type up a small lick that shows how to move from C to F to G that would be awesome, I could take that idea or theory and apply to future use.

Edit: I've been playing around from C > F > G using each scale, doesn't sound bad once I keep the timing in mind...
Last edited by Maikeruda at Jul 26, 2013,
I don't reccomond the 3 repeatin chords. try to build with zep metalish Hendrix stuff sorta buckethead and then zep solo like buckethead.
Hmmm... figured out that when I learned CAGED I didn't think of the various chord shapes... in a tutorial I found using Cmaj & Fmaj as a progression, the F was in a shape I'd never seen before, this may help. And I guess I now understand what was obvious in most situations, that you solo in the key of the progression. Guess it'll be fun to work on soloing in different keys later on.
C F G progression is in the key of C major, use the C major scale over everything.

It could sound a bit out of place if you changed scales for each chord. It would also make you have to think too much. It's a simple progression, no need to make it more complex than it is.

Good advice would be to start training your ears so that you could be able to play what you want to play and not just play random notes in the scale. So learn the sound of the notes in the scale. Learn the intervals (and their sound), it really helps.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
C F G progression is in the key of C major, use the C major scale over everything.

It could sound a bit out of place if you changed scales for each chord. It would also make you have to think too much. It's a simple progression, no need to make it more complex than it is.

Good advice would be to start training your ears so that you could be able to play what you want to play and not just play random notes in the scale. So learn the sound of the notes in the scale. Learn the intervals (and their sound), it really helps.

^ what MaggaraMarine said.

Seriously do exactly what he said, it will help you a lot.
Quote by MaggaraMarine

Mhmmm!
hold up RE5

what year are we in lol
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.