hey guys

i was hoping someone could clarify exactly what an effects loop is and what it does...

i have a blackstar 212 combo, it has an effects loop that i do not use at present simply because i do not know what pedals should be in there and what beneift it has overall....so i was hoping someone would explain in simple terms for me the pros and cons of using an effects loop and how it differs form putting pedals through the front of the amp

cheers
INDIE SEMI HOLLOW DOUBLE CUT CUSTOM FOR SALE!!

IBANEZ S470 WITH MIRICLE MAN ADY SD JB PICK-UPS FOR SALE!!

PEAVEY VALVEKING 112 COMBO FOR SALE!!!

PM IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!!
DUDE?!?!

Sure I don't know who Mandy Moore is and you were here before me (barely) but I'm pretty sure I had this avatar first.
I'll tell you what an fx loop is if you change your avatar!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 26, 2013,
i AM mandy morre

Mandy would know what an fx loop is
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
It's all down to the order you want/need your effects processed in. A typical setup would be something like:
Compressor > Wah > Drive > Modulation (Chorus, Phase etc) > Delay > Reverb

Drive is the key thing here. If you're using your amp's gain for drive, then you probably don't want to be putting your modulation & delay effects in front of the amp. This is where the effects loop comes into it.

You can put your Compressor & Wah etc in front of your amp, use the amp's drive for distortion, then the effects loop adds the rest of your effects on top of the drive.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Damn you Gary!

Jk, no hard feelings, if you actually do like Mandy Moore, you can have her avatar, I'll give it up.
And +1 to what Gary said. An fx loop bypasses the preamp. Good for delay and modulation type fx.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 26, 2013,
i also have no idea who she is, im a sucker for blondes though

cheers guys, i use my amp for drive, i normally have chorus delay and reverb at the back of my chain in front of the amp but ill try the loop now and see how i get on

Quote by mr frusciante
i also have no idea who she is,D

Well...in that case...
Quote by mr frusciante
i also have no idea who she is, im a sucker for blondes though

cheers guys, i use my amp for drive, i normally have chorus delay and reverb at the back of my chain in front of the amp but ill try the loop now and see how i get on

Experimentation is always the key. Sometimes adding drive after your effects can work - personally I have my modulation effects after my drive pedals, then use my amp's gain channel for a boost when playing lead. That gives me modulation after my main drive, but before the extra gain the amp adds for my solos. It works for me.

Quote by lucky1978
Damn you Gary!

Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud