sleep-fap-play-fap-sleep
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
My practice routine nowdays mainly consist of:

Learning challenging tunes. (Stuff that's hard to play for me, or stuff i am not used to. Learned by ear) For example i am working on a lot of jazz and fusion right now, aswell as fingerpicking acoustic country stuff.

Theoretical practice (Sight Reading, Arranging stuff, re-harmonizing stuff) I am doing a lot of notation exercises to read different clefs and key signatures better for when i play guitar/bass/piano. Also i am arranging songs for choirs and orchestras. For example we are doing a Disney concert acapella this fall in my school, and i am the one working on transforming the tunes for vocals only.

Improvisation practice (Playing a chord or chord progression, singing a line over it, play it back on the guitar.) Yet another way to improve my ear. I've hated being the guy who had to ask "what key is this in?" when other people have started playing, working on this i can more often now just join in and play what sounds good. Helps my jazz studies aswell.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Last edited by Sickz at Jul 26, 2013,
I don't really have one i practice on what i think needs to be practiced but i am always practicing no matter what ear tabbing and learning full songs. other than that i work on scales non stop until i have them down pact and practice more theory. thats basically my whole week 0.0
I don't really have a practice schedule, i just play and learn new things, songs, scales etc. i play for 4-5 hours almost everyday, i always play for a least 30 mins on the odd occasion i don't have time but i asked an experienced guitarist about a practice schedule and he said don't use one, just play and learn. I do a lot of improvising over backing tracks and that's great for soloing
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
I'm unemployed currently, so I spend all day practicing.

1 hour of ear training where notes in a scale want to resolve themselves
1 hour of ear training on scales
1 hour of ear training on intervals
1 hour of refreshing on Music Theory
1 hour of studying and learning more Music Theory
30m warm up on guitar (3 scales each for 10min) with a metronome
30m on learning a new scale/technique/song
1 hour of refining songs/techniques/scales
1 hour of jamming with a backing track (or my roommate if he's home)

Then after that if I still WANT to work on my guitar skills I'll pick the technique/song/scale I'm weakest at and go until I need to sleep.

I don't really have anything else to do ever since I got laid off. hah
Quote by Hudson12

1 hour of ear training where notes in a scale want to resolve themselves
1 hour of ear training on scales
1 hour of ear training on intervals
1 hour of refreshing on Music Theory
1 hour of studying and learning more Music Theory
30m warm up on guitar (3 scales each for 10min) with a metronome
30m on learning a new scale/technique/song
1 hour of refining songs/techniques/scales
1 hour of jamming with a backing track (or my roommate if he's home)

Then after that if I still WANT to work on my guitar skills I'll pick the technique/song/scale I'm weakest at and go until I need to sleep.

Damn sounds similar to my training xDD

Can you lend me a site or something where you learn the music theory and new stuff? haha thanks

Thanks everyone too for posting
Quote by DBKGUITAR
Damn sounds similar to my training xDD

Can you lend me a site or something where you learn the music theory and new stuff? haha thanks

Thanks everyone too for posting

Definitely can, I'll add it to this post as soon as I get home.

EDIT: Some of the stuff is from my old notes from my classical piano days (I remembered) but I use books/websites. I'll give you the name of the books and the websites.

Also I will add my friends think I've gone absolutely mental because it's a lot of work but it never feels like work to me haha
Last edited by Hudson12 at Jul 26, 2013,
Quote by Hudson12

Finding a job?

OT: Sadly I lack the required discipline to have a structured and balanced practice routine.
baab
Quote by My Last Words
Finding a job?

OT: Sadly I lack the required discipline to have a structured and balanced practice routine.

Yup, been looking for a month now. Unfortunately my town doesn't really have anything to offer. A couple of places wouldn't hire me because I'm overqualified. It's not like I'm just sitting around practicing guitar instead of looking for a job. There is only so much I can do before I have to wait for people to call me back (or I call them ask if they got my resume)
for me, having a set "schedule" doesn't work. i mainly learn new songs, practice old ones, work on some theory from a book i have, and soon i'm going to start practice sight reading again.
Quote by Hudson12
Definitely can, I'll add it to this post as soon as I get home.

EDIT: Some of the stuff is from my old notes from my classical piano days (I remembered) but I use books/websites. I'll give you the name of the books and the websites.

Also I will add my friends think I've gone absolutely mental because it's a lot of work but it never feels like work to me haha

Thank you very much!

I appreciate your help a lot
Chord and rhythm work for 1 hour (chord changes etc.)
1 hour working on songs.
And then this varies from day to day, i usually do alternate picking, legato, string skipping, ladder exercises, spider exercises, scales etc. for 1 hour.
Thats my weekend routine around my job, on my days off I usually do around 5 hours practise of a combination of the things above.
And I do music theory when i'm in the bath! I don't count as practise though.
So 3 hours a day weekdays, 5 hours on my two days off.
Usually I just do Improve or compose on TuxGuitar. Been spending a bit of time on composing with suspended chords. They give a nice sound and different from the norm.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Mine is the to much Adderall ****ing ur tolencers and sleepin from withdraw till ur tolence goes back down... they keep it in the safe.. now

ps stare at the note till they in ur head haha... u can do it....
Last edited by pavnick91 at Jul 26, 2013,
Quote by pavnick91
Anyone like Happy Hardcore's new mix haha thanks the radio god singer guy

What.....

.... What?
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Let's get this back on topic!

I don't have a practice routine now because I don't have the time to sit and grind away at formal practice. If I want to work on something I will but not in a really structured way, it makes me sad because I haven't really progressed for a good while now...

That said I've been learning some stuff for my band by ear that's made me work to get it, that's always good.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Let's get this back on topic!

I don't have a practice routine now because I don't have the time to sit and grind away at formal practice. If I want to work on something I will but not in a really structured way, it makes me sad because I haven't really progressed for a good while now...

That said I've been learning some stuff for my band by ear that's made me work to get it, that's always good.

Damn you're so lucky to have a band... I wish there were some bands in my place... but there are none..
Hey it's usually a good idea to practice whatever you're struggling with... So, think about what your goals are... You want to play a particular song? Want to learn how to sweep pick? Improvise really well?

Then, just focus on the skills that will help you do that. The other stuff is good too, but if you don't have a lot of time to practice, it's better to pinpoint.

The problem with asking what other people practice is that they are practicing things that you might not really need to practice.
right now i have tunnel vision for learnin' Scuttle Buttin' by Stevie Ray Vaughan. pretty challengin' solo, im not sure if ill be able to get it to full speed, but its still damn fun to play. aside from that im workin' on strengthenin' my bends.

when i get that song out of the way, ill go back to experimentin' and developin' my style. but when im learnin' a song, i cant get myself to do anythin' but that song and things related to it.
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.