What's up everyone. This is my first post. I own a Boss BCB-60 that runs 9V to multiple pedals. I recently have been looking into picking up an EQ pedal and the MXR M-108 seems like the best out there, except that it runs on 18V. I really am not going to deal with an entirely extra plug on stage or buying 18V batteries, so I started looking around the internet and found these 9V to 18V adapter by a company called Aqua Audio.

Anyone know anything about these? If they work or if they will fry my board?
Push comes to shove I guess I'll settle for a GE-7, but I've heard they're noisy. I have a noise gate and I've heard that easy modding can fix it. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!!
Problem with the outputs on the BCB60 is that they're daisy chained IIRC. So that means if you were to put them together you'd only be doubling the current, and not the voltage. You'd have to run the M108 on a seperate power supply, or use a completely different power supply to the BCB-60's, that can run 18V and 9V pedals.

If neither of those work, than MXR make a 6 band EQ that you might want to look into. Dan Electro Fish n Chips is also supposed to be real good for a low price. It's only sacrifice is its build quality.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by zakky18
What's up everyone. This is my first post. I own a Boss BCB-60 that runs 9V to multiple pedals. I recently have been looking into picking up an EQ pedal and the MXR M-108 seems like the best out there, except that it runs on 18V. I really am not going to deal with an entirely extra plug on stage or buying 18V batteries, so I started looking around the internet and found these 9V to 18V adapter by a company called Aqua Audio.

18V batteries? i don't think they make conventional 18V batteries (outside of power tools), i could be wrong though

most 18V pedals can be run off of 9V, you just won't be getting all the headroom available. so if worst comes to worse you can most likely just use them at 9V (it won't hurt anything). the reason for 18V is to run the opamps on a higher voltage which allows for more dynamic range/headroom

http://www.aqua-audio.com/9to18.php

this thing will actually work, it's not a normal 'Y' converter, it's got it's own onboard parts to step up the signal. it specifically says it is designed to bump 9V signals to 18V off of daisy chain power supplies.

my only concern would be the anemic current output: 60 mA is just not that much, though it will power plenty of individual pedals you will run into pedals it can't power.

Godlyke makes a similar product and allows for more options

http://www.godlyke.com/power-all/godlyke-power-all-accessories/iso-pump-voltage-converter

this allows conversion to 12, 18 or 24V, plus it allows for more like 320 mA @ 18V. this will power almost any pedal AND has enough left over to put a Y splitter on the output so you could power more pedals off of it.

here is a splitter to help power extra pedals (a splitter is like a mini daisy chain)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PPAV

Quote by zakky18
Anyone know anything about these? If they work or if they will fry my board?
Push comes to shove I guess I'll settle for a GE-7, but I've heard they're noisy. I have a noise gate and I've heard that easy modding can fix it. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!!

i would guess they use an internal transformer to step up or down the signal, but i am not sure. a normal 9V to 18V adapter will just run two 9V signals in series (i think), whereas the ones listed above actually change the signal to step it up.

here is a simple 9V to 18V adapter, note how it looks VERY similar to the Y splitter above. this is the type Lavatian was talking about, these don't work.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VoodooPPY/

the converters discussed earlier should work just fine, just don't go around plugging 18V outputs to 9V pedals cuz that is the only way you are gonna be 'frying' stuff

i don't know anything about noise gates really.

Quote by Lavatain
Problem with the outputs on the BCB60 is that they're daisy chained IIRC. So that means if you were to put them together you'd only be doubling the current, and not the voltage. You'd have to run the M108 on a seperate power supply, or use a completely different power supply to the BCB-60's, that can run 18V and 9V pedals.

you are right, if he was just trying to take two outputs on the daisy chain and run them in series then it wouldn't work, but the product he is looking at actually does more than that and can effectively increase the voltage output on the daisy chain.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 26, 2013,
Awesome!! Thanks a lot for your feedback, you both helped a ton!! Everything here makes sense, I was just wondering if I have the 18V converter plugged into the 18V pedal on a daisy chain (Like how the Boss BCB-60 is set up), if having a 9V pedal on the next 9V plug over will fry my pedal because the one before it has been amped up to 18V?? Or does the fact that it is a 9V plug drop it back down? For example: I want to put the MXR M-108 through my FX loop with the Godlyke voltage converter before my 9V delay. Is that possible?

Thanks again for taking some time out of your day to throw some advice my way. I greatly appreciate it!!
Quote by zakky18
Awesome!! Thanks a lot for your feedback, you both helped a ton!! Everything here makes sense, I was just wondering if I have the 18V converter plugged into the 18V pedal on a daisy chain (Like how the Boss BCB-60 is set up), if having a 9V pedal on the next 9V plug over will fry my pedal because the one before it has been amped up to 18V?? Or does the fact that it is a 9V plug drop it back down? For example: I want to put the MXR M-108 through my FX loop with the Godlyke voltage converter before my 9V delay. Is that possible?

Thanks again for taking some time out of your day to throw some advice my way. I greatly appreciate it!!

the way it should work is

wall power (120V) -> daisy chain (9V) -> adapter (18V) -> 18V pedal

the adapter should be placed between the 9V adapter and the 18V pedal. this would have no real effect on other connections coming off the daisy chain.

-ae
I'd assume, especially from the low current rating that it's a simple buck booster, gumbi.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Nice!! I think that's everything I need to know! Thanks again! I think I just learned more about electric currents than I have in my entire life lol.
Quote by Cathbard
I'd assume, especially from the low current rating that it's a simple buck booster, gumbi.

just looked that up, interesting. i have never heard of that before.

-ae