Page 1 of 2
Saw this on CNET today....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57595529-38/feds-tell-web-firms-to-turn-over-user-account-passwords/

Yeah, you read that right.

So.... what now?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Never thought I'd see the day where my country's more democratic than the US of A. It feels good. Is this how you guys feel all the time? I mean, felt.
While this is a clear case of overreach, it appears that the companies are telling them to piss off (at least publicly).

Thanks Obama, for the most transparent, open and freedom loving administration in history...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Diamond Dave
geeze, hope we don't get a whole heap of gmen on here pretending to be my favourite UG'ers!

doubt that would really happen

so who else likes blowing up buildings? anyone? who knows of people who enjoy such activities? let me in on it
pinga
Quote by LostLegion
****ing lol america

At least it makes news here, I suspect there are places where this happens without a thought...

That being said, the so-called 'Patriot Act' is one of the most vile pieces of legislation to be signed in US history.
Charles Darwin
You gonna start using those guns you hold so dear to fight your tyrannical government now, or are you still to apathetic America? How far will you let them push before you say enough is enough.
Quote by JackalUK
You gonna start using those guns you hold so dear to fight your tyrannical government now...?

Good point

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by JackalUK
You gonna start using those guns you hold so dear to fight your tyrannical government now, or are you still to apathetic America? How far will you let them push before you say enough is enough.

Given that this doesn't directly impact anyone's enjoyment of their daily life, I'd say that's a bit premature...(Doesn't make it any less despicable though.)

There are still several other viable options and those of us that care are working them.

'Tyrannical' seems a bit much.
Charles Darwin
It is of course an exaggerated response, but the direction I feel this leading towards. Whether you have something to hide or not, global surveillance and monitoring is a horrendous abuse of powers and should be illegal in all instances. Regardless of who it is.
The government will never turn tyrannical guys, you gun nuts are insane.

(Slightly sarcastic, because)
according to two industry sources familiar with these orders

The translation of which is "we could be making this whole article up lol"

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Is it so hard to believe though. The NSA is already bypassing any legal obligation to get warrants for the surveillance we know about. They admitted it. They are also contravening international law in equal quantities.
Yeah I'm in full agreement with you, the prospect of this sort of thing being barely newsworthy is incredibly depressing. I don't understand how there's a debate going on in the other NSA thread, or how anyone could be for anything even remotely similar to this.

EDIT: @ Jackal, but Fear kinda also lol

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by OneHappyCamper
Last edited by cho0onger at Jul 26, 2013,
What good does it do? How many school shootings has it stopped, domestic crime, domestic terrorism? Still all goes on despite the surveillance. What purpose is it serving? All funded by your tax dollar. Paying to have someone look over your shoulder 24/7.
Quote by Masquirina
I don't understand why the majority of the united states would ever have a problem with universal surveillance.

65% sure you're trolling, but what Jackal said. What good has it done? What good could it do, given the government's track record of not only incompetence and waste, but also of corruption?

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by OneHappyCamper
They can't be serious...and the fact that most companies are declining to comment gives an impression that they are complying to some extent at least.

On another note though, why do they need passwords? Weren't they accessing all this data anyway?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Because the US government would jail the world if it had enough resources and reasons to.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
If the program was 100% as-stated and was only being used on suspected terrorists, they wouldn't need passwords. Hence everyone (well, everyone sensible) being angry about it. But, I'd bet my life that it isn't being used 100% as stated, or anywhere even close to that number. Look at it within the context of, say, the IRS scandal wherein the revenue service targeted Obama's political opponents. Or Operation Fast and Furious, where the government provided a Mexican drug cartel with weapons which were used to attack a border station. Unfortunately, it's not 1790 anymore.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by OneHappyCamper
Quote by JackalUK
What good does it do? How many school shootings has it stopped, domestic crime, domestic terrorism? Still all goes on despite the surveillance. What purpose is it serving? All funded by your tax dollar. Paying to have someone look over your shoulder 24/7.

We're being told that this type of surveillance has foiled 50+ terror plots in the last several years.

Even if I believed that to be the case, I'm unconvinced we're getting value for the cost (both in treasure and trust).
Charles Darwin
The IRS targeted liberal/democratic groups as well, we just receive the emotional/rage version of everything before hearing all details and facts. That reddit thing with the false terrorist suspect severely pissed me off, so I'm pretty reluctant to believe internet accusation furors before finding reliable sources.
They obviously taxed everyone who was meant to be taxed, it's the IRS. They scrutinized conservative groups more though, which is paramount to targeting them.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by OneHappyCamper
I think it's important to consider that if you don't hand over your passwords, the US will go bankrupt funding the NSA and FBI to try and crack them.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
I think it's important to consider that if you don't hand over your passwords, the US will go bankrupt funding the NSA and FBI to try and crack them.

At this point, with this much bad press surrounding the US, I'm very close to just saying "fuck it, good"

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by OneHappyCamper
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Never thought I'd see the day where my country's more democratic than the US of A. It feels good. Is this how you guys feel all the time? I mean, felt.

That hurts, Ali...

But seriously, people I know wonder why I've been so adamant about internet privacy...well, this is why, dumbasses!
Quote by Cb4rabid
doubt that would really happen

so who else likes blowing up buildings? anyone? who knows of people who enjoy such activities? let me in on it

Quote by shoegazer'
So anyone interesting in, um organising some attacks, or maybe a coup? Email me at imnotplottingtooverthrowthegovernmentoranythingofthatnature@gmail.com don't worry its secure.

careful guys...
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/12/league-of-legends-player-mouths-off-gets-arrested-for-making-a-terroristic-threat/
Page 1 of 2