I understand Line6 amps gets a lot of hate around here, and as I result, I've relied on my Blackstar HT1R since forever.

I played through my mates Line 6 30w, and it gave me exceptional gain, without too much noise. I play a lot of metal and reverb/delay fueled ambient music, and it seems like a decent amp (didn't test cleans). This leaves me wondering why the Line 6 products get so much hate. Is it a quality issue? They generally sound bad? Lack of cleans/non metal sounds? Please explain.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
search bar is your friend.

if you think it sounds good buy one.

post pics.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
search bar is your friend.

if you think it sounds good buy one.

post pics.

I get very conflicting messages.
Some people say it's a great practice amp, some people say Line 6 amps are the 9/11 of amps.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
i have a 75W one that i've had for a good few years. it's a good amp to practise on, if you mess around long enough you'll get some decent tones. i have mid-gain and clean setting that i'm pretty keen on.
wouldn't gig with it, but it is what it is.

Quote by ExDementia
They aren't nearly as bad as people make them sound. I used one for yeara

Why do people hate it so much then?
- Devin Townsend
Quote by Mind_Reader7

because there are better options at the price once you get the the 30 watt or higher models.

the cleans you didn't try are the definition of sterile.

the 15 is fine for a bedroom practice amp that does everything. it's $99 and does the job.

but even there, i'd rather have something else for $100.

that's me though. ymmv.
Quote by Mind_Reader7

Price v. Performance.

Generally there are better units available for less money.

Edit: Greg is a ninja'ing beeyotch!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by gregs1020
because there are better options at the price once you get the the 30 watt or higher models.

the 15 is fine for a bedroom practice amp that does everything. it's $99 and does the job.

that's me though. ymmv.
Without trying to change the topic, what would you suggest for $100ish? I personally think the 30 sounded decent (used for about 45 mins), and for $100, seems like a good deal.

Also; I use a USB interface when it comes to cleans mostly, because of reasons.
- Devin Townsend
I found the more and more I play a spider amp, the worse and worse it gets. At first I kinda thought "okay yeah, I can see why a lot of people buy them for cheap bedroom practice" and then it kinda turned into trying to deal with tinnitus every time I plug a guitar into one. It's the only amps at my college so we kinda have to use them for stuff.

I wouldn't recommend one as pretty much everyone in my college class is on the same wavelength as me about how the spider amps sound. We all fight over use of the one Roland Cube, which is actually kinda decent for a 10" speaker practice amp.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Mind_Reader7
Without trying to change the topic, what would you suggest for $100ish? I personally think the 30 sounded decent (used for about 45 mins), and for $100, seems like a good deal.

Also; I use a USB interface when it comes to cleans mostly, because of reasons.

the 30 watt is $200.

or are you now talking about getting the 30 used off your friend for $100?

why does he want to sell it?

(too easy, couldn't pass it up).

what do i recommend for $100 for someone who just plays metal? is that the question?
I would recommend the Roland Cube over the Spider any day. Also, only the Spider 15 is $100.

Still, it's not the best amp in the price range, but it is certainly better than many. This includes the Marshall MG, the Crate Flexwave, anything Behringer, the Fender Frontman, etc. Most ~$100 amps are crap.
Quote by Lavatain
I found the more and more I play a spider amp, the worse and worse it gets. At first I kinda thought "okay yeah, I can see why a lot of people buy them for cheap bedroom practice" and then it kinda turned into trying to deal with tinnitus every time I plug a guitar into one.

This, it was my friend's first amp when we started out on guitar at about the same time so my ear wasn't very trained and I thought it could get some cool tones. But the more I listened the more I could hear how digital and fizzy it sounded. I'd play almost any amp over a Line 6 Spider.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I follow that guy ^^ on YouTube and Facebook and he manages to create some of the tastiest tones I have ever heard. I was very surprised by this one when I saw it. This comment I also thought was very true:

You'd be surprised at how much people will "hear" with their eyes. I guarantee if you didn't reveal what amp you were using, there'd be far fewer complaints about Line 6's tone.

I know people that do this and it irritates me. Take my Epiphone LP for example. I've had it for many years now and I have only played 2 guitars that have been better in my opinion: A Gibson 1976 Les Paul and a Gibson Explorer and thats trying a load of expensive ones. People have judged it and after playing it, they generally have the reaction "It's actually pretty damn good".
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Last edited by leony03 at Jul 26, 2013,
Quote by leony03
I know people that do this and it irritates me. Take my Epiphone LP for example. I've had it for many years now... People have judged it and after playing it, they generally have the reaction "It's actually pretty damn good".

hand them a "bacchus".

they won't know what to think.
I don't think I have ever seen one in this country
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
If you like it, thats the most important part. I personally have a thing for what "normal" people call objectively shitty sound and I have been toying with the idea of getting the Spider head myself just for some very raw black metal toanz.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Line 6 sux!

Better get a Blackstar.

The Peavey Vypyr matches the Spider price for price and watt for watt, yet sounds better in every way, and has way more models and FX. That's why people hate the Spider. Because why would you even think about getting one when you can get something else for the same price that is, frankly, objectively better.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by gregs1020

that's me though. ymmv.

+1

the hate probably does go overboard, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the original logic behind the hate is sound- that there are better options available for the same amount of money (or even less money in some instances).

unless you subscribe to the philosophy that things are objectively good regardless of cost (which is ludicrous if you ask me... though if you do, i have a nice little nissan micra i'd be willing to sell you for ferrari money ), something which isn't the best option available for the money it costs pretty much by definition isn't that great.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?