I broke the first (high e) string on both of my guitars a month ago and I just detuned both of em until I could get a new string (I'm poor).

A few days ago, I got all sad and stuff cos I missed my baby so I tuned her up and started practicing all this theory I was reading about in the time she was outta commision...

So tell me if you can, am I ruining my baby? Should I just hold out until I find a way to get strings? Or is it fine since it's only one (and the smallest) string?
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
You can still play it with one string missing. It won't do any harm to the guitar. Just get a new set when you can and change them then.
Practically, nothing bad will happen to your guitar.

Theoretically, detuning will make any potential problems worse. The concept of being in tune is based on tension. The tension of your neck vs. the tension of your strings. They balance each other out. When you lose a string, you lose string tension, which upsets the balance. When you detune your other strings, you are not restoring the balance - you're upsetting it even further.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Exactly, slacking the strings is worse for the neck than just leaving one string off. Neither of them are a big deal though, just might have to adjust the truss rod after leaving the strings loose for a while.
gotcha, I've been hearing a lotta "detune when you aren't playing, you'll stress the neck and the strings will pop eventually" so I kinda went off of that. But based on what you guys are saying, I'll just keep em tuned up

Thanks
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR

Quote by MaggaraMarine
Wow, you should be mad at whoever told you that. That's like saying you should deflate the tires every time you park your car.

The tension between the neck and strings is a balanced system. If you remove the strings, the system is imbalanced, and far more than it would be with just one string missing.
keith richards of the rolling stones plays a tele with five strings. he may look ****ed up, but his guitar is quite operational.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by eric_wearing
gotcha, I've been hearing a lotta "detune when you aren't playing, you'll stress the neck and the strings will pop eventually" so I kinda went off of that. But based on what you guys are saying, I'll just keep em tuned up

Thanks

Whoever is telling you that needs to be taken out and pummeled with roadkill!!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
lol thanks, lesson learned

Quote by DBKGUITAR

Quote by MaggaraMarine
Most guitar shops sell single strings if you can't get a new set right away. At least, in the US.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Ive got a secondary question, if its so important to maintain the 'balance' between the string and the neck, why do the so called experts tell us to slacken the strings when transporting a guitar, even in a hard case?
Because the string tension makes it a lot easier bumps and drops to cause headstock breaks, especially on Gibson products and pointy guitars.

You don't want this:

To turn into this:

Last edited by 4FunandProphet at Jul 26, 2013,
Quote by dazza027
Ive got a secondary question, if its so important to maintain the 'balance' between the string and the neck, why do the so called experts tell us to slacken the strings when transporting a guitar, even in a hard case?
That would be a long story.

The short answer is, I wouldn't worry about tuning down with a decent solid body guitar. They're practically indestructible. I used to leave mine exposed on a stand all year round, and it was steady as a rock. The strings are light, and therefore low tension. But, if you release it for extended periods of time, it could precipitate the need for a (very minor) truss rod adjustment.

Acoustic guitars tend to be a bit more delicate, and tuning them down to D - D standard when not in use, makes a bit more sense. The soundboard can collapse from constant tension, and generally the strings have much higher tension. And yet, you could still need to tweak the truss rod from time.
Quote by dazza027

As far as the electric guitar world goes, I've found that most "experts", and certainly most musicians, don't really know what they're talking about. You listen to them and do what they say because they said it, but think about it, after understanding what's going on with your guitar, what makes more logical sense?

As mentioned, hollow guitars are a different matter, I won't comment there at all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i only slack the strings on angled headstock guitars when i ship them.

strats & teles, pfft.

i've driven over a strat and it was still in tune.

don't try that at home kids, i was lucky.
Better to have to adjust the truss rod and let it settle in than fix a broken headstock. That's why you detune angled headstock guitars when shipping.
Quote by Roc8995
Better to have to adjust the truss rod and let it settle in than fix a broken headstock. That's why you detune angled headstock guitars when shipping.
I see your point. Those head stocks do sacrifice a great deal of strength for style.