So I've decided to switch back to solid state amps after having multiple tube amps. It's a more practical choice for me being all my playing is done at home and at bedroom levels. I play hard rock to metal. I've been looking into Randall's new rg series. I'm considering either the 100watt, 150watt head or 212 combo. How are these at bedroom levels? I always loved that thrash/dimebag sound and I think this series might give me what I'm looking for. Let me know your opinions.
Unless I am mistaken they are based on the old RG100ES and that is a classic metal amp as far as solid states go. They just have an extra channel added on top for even more gain. So yeah, I believe they are good amps (again if I am correct with my impressions) though if they are good at bedroom levels, I have no idea. They do have a master volume though so adjusting the volume shouldn't be an issue.

To tell the truth I am currently wondering myself if I should buy RG1503 myself to upgrade my Valvestate or get a new tube amp to upgrade my Valveking, preferably something that has high gain without boosts.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jul 26, 2013,
If you don't mind the name, the DIME amps Dime 100/2x12 combo are clones of his old Randall RG's and are quite cheap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ExDementia
The problem with those was the horrendous build quality.

I thought they were soposed to be pretty decent, but maybe that was only the tone

But TS I'd take ExDementias word for it, he is the SS aficionado on here
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yea I'm not impressed with the dime series, I've seen them in person they look very cheap I agree. I'm just done with tube amps at bedroom levels in my opinion they never as good at bedroom levels than solid state. Cranked is a different story but even then alot of hybrid/ss amps sound great cranked and there a hell of alot cheaper for the most part. But most people will argue the above statement I find.
Quote by ExDementia
Still loving my OG RG100. I wonder if the third channel is like the "sustainer" mode from the original, but without the volume loss. That would be cool.

I think its just another gain stage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MSqtXFTJRA

I dont understand the word he is saying but I see the settings well enough. And as usual for these kind of vids the bastard is running it gain maxed.

*edit* Much better vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UiN6CLzpFQ

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jul 26, 2013,
I also don't see the point wasting money on a high wattage tube amp just to say I got a 50 or 100watt head that awesome..when in reality I can't even use 5watts without everyone around me telling me to turn it down. However if I ever gig out I'm buying a sweat halfstack all tube!! Just cause it'll give me a reason to buy one
Quote by Joeballz
I also don't see the point wasting money on a high wattage tube amp just to say I got a 50 or 100watt head that awesome..when in reality I can't even use 5watts without everyone around me telling me to turn it down. However if I ever gig out I'm buying a sweat halfstack all tube!! Just cause it'll give me a reason to buy one

As wierd as it may seem however, wattage doesnt tell how good the amp is at bedroom levels. Some low wattage amps need to be cranked and some high watt amps work just fine in low volumes. In fact when it comes to metal, having shitton of watts can be a good thing because you need a lot of clean headroom. Most of the distortion comes from the preamp and poweramp needs to stay clean. (unless you aim for classic tones which is a mixture of both) My Valveking is 100W tube and it sounds fine in bedroom volumes. If only it would have master vol. so adjusting the volume wouldnt be such a pain in the ass...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Yea I'm impressed just watched both videos you can get some pretty brutal tones outta this amp! There priced very nicely too!
Quote by ExDementia
That sounds pretty damn good. I wonder how much post processing there was on that clip.

According to comments, not much

"the only post processing is a high pass and low pass filter at 60Hz and 12kHz."
and settings
"everything pretty much around noon, mids a bit higher, bass a bit lower, all buttons in (bass and scoop). Presence around 8-9 (/10)"

Midscoop button engaged to get the voicing and then mid boosted cranked to get rid of the downsides of scooping the mids. Also its obviously double tracked because its a mix. But still, not that heavily processed.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
As wierd as it may seem however, wattage doesnt tell how good the amp is at bedroom levels. Some low wattage amps need to be cranked and some high watt amps work just fine in low volumes. In fact when it comes to metal, having shitton of watts can be a good thing because you need a lot of clean headroom. Most of the distortion comes from the preamp and poweramp needs to stay clean. (unless you aim for classic tones which is a mixture of both) My Valveking is 100W tube and it sounds fine in bedroom volumes. If only it would have master vol. so adjusting the volume wouldnt be such a pain in the ass...

+1

Cranking a tube amp to get better tone is pretty much a myth when it comes to preamp gain based amps. Yes, they absolutely do sound better turned up, but so does everything. That's how our ears react to volume. My 120W JSX was great at bedroom volumes. My 120W 6505 is great with a volume control in the loop and an OD in front at bedroom volumes.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Now look what you have done you assholes!

Last night while we were talking about this amp here I happened to check how much it costed again and happened to make an incredible find. Guess how much?

185€! FOR A BRAND SPANKING NEW! My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw that and thought I had to go get one. You may wonder why it was so cheap, so here is the deal: Couple of months back a guitar shop in Helsinki called Sound-Shop went under and there has been good close-out deals through the months. Now its finally closed and everything they had for sale left was sold to Vahinkotavarakeskus, a shop that sells all kinds of stuff from food to clothes and randomly some kitchen appliances. Now they are selling these + other guitar related stuff for insane prices! Not too many guitars however, I guess they got all sold during Sound-shops closeout sales. But quite a lot of amps are still there.

To tell the truth I am wondering if I should make a heads-up thread for Finnish UG:ers that live within reasonable distance from Helsinki/Vantaa. You cant buy them online, you have to go there and ask the sellers (they are still packed in storage crates) who are still scratching their heads what to do with them because they do not know a thing about guitars and amps. Seriously, there are also Randall T2 and V2 amps, 590€ and 640€. If only I had the money to spare. Because those are almost deals of the century.

Anyway, back to the story. I went to sleep because I was rather intoxitaced. Fat chance, only 5-6 hours of restless dogsleep and woke up from hangover and dry throat. Couldnt sleep anymore after that because the thought of this deal was going circles in my head. Hangover + GAS attack, not fun.

So, after the hangover loosened up I jumped into my car and drove a hour towards Helsinki and now I'm back.

I really need a bigger cab now, the amp dwarfs it. Now that I live in a place where I can actually play loud its time to upgrade anyway.

The sound? I'm still having a new toy syndrome and drooling and splooging all over the amp so I may not be the most objective at the moment. But here are some thoughts.

The distortion is really amazing! Even if I cranked the gain to max in channel 3 it still sounds quite defined. Compared to the crappy Randall RG75 G3 combo I used to own (now my big bro has it) the sound becomes a fizzy mess once past 3'a'clock. Not here, its very good through the range. I agree with what Lasse Lammert said in the comments of above Youtube vid, this amp does not sound like 400$ amp. *edit* Wait, it wasnt Lasse that said it, it was some other reviewer I read online. Got it mixed up.

The midscoop button is great. In case of old RG75 G3 engaging it created a gaping hole into the midrange, it was completely unusable. In this amp the range of what gets scooped is very narrow. It wont ruin your midrange, especially if you turn the mids up a bit. Only specific region gets scooped, enough to change the sound a bit without touching the rest. I really like the effect!

Maybe I should make NAD thread, dunno. I'm still toying with the amp but now, I need sleeeeeep...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jul 27, 2013,
^ OMG... Maybe I should go and buy a Strat or a Tele... Does anybody have any info about G&L Tribute ASAT Classic or Tribute Legacy?

Here are the prices. http://www.sound-shop.fi/ale-hinnat.pdf

HNAD
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ OMG... Maybe I should go and buy a Strat or a Tele... Does anybody have any info about G&L Tribute ASAT Classic or Tribute Legacy?

Here are the prices. http://www.sound-shop.fi/ale-hinnat.pdf

HNAD

Oh, it seems like I was mistaken. There ARE some guitars. I only looked for the usual suspects, Jacksons, LTDs and Ibanez but found only few Deans and Schecters. Though the Dean Black Gold V looks quite sexy and not a bad price. I might have to go grab one when my next payday is. If they are still available.

Thanks man.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by ExDementia
Wow! Awesome timing, man!

I know right? But now I have to decide which one I will get rid of, Valveking or Valvestate. I love both but I cant really justify having more than 2 heads.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Hey what about the cleans of this amp? I wonder how versatile this beast is! Is it a fatter warmer clean or thinner and brighter?
Quote by MaaZeus
I know right? But now I have to decide which one I will get rid of, Valveking or Valvestate. I love both but I cant really justify having more than 2 heads.

Sure you can. 2 is better than 1.

Nice find and funny as hell a Random search turned up an incredible deal. Congrats!!!

Make a NAD once you've had some time to play with the new toy. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.