Well, I have 2 trades lined up, but I can only go with one (and only test one, at that, craigslist, long distance, ah). A Schecter Hellraiser with the coil tapping EMGs or an ATX Blackjack. I like both pickups evenly, but the EMGs get more points for the coil taps. At the same time, the back of the neck of the blackjack doesn't seem all shiny and glosses like the hellraiser, and I MUCH prefer a smooth, non-finished neck (the ATX looks closest), so it seems like they're dead even. Both in perfect condition with nice cases.

Trading for my (future) Taylor 110 with a case.

Since they both seem even, I'm going to go with my trading instincts...which one has better trade value, if I happened to want to trade? They're both $750 new, but some people like some guitars better than others. On the one hand, it seems like the Hellraiser could get interest in more diverse players (the Seymour Duncan black outs seem a bit more geared for pure metal) but Blackjacks seem to have a certain appeal to metal players.

I also have an offer for a 7 string Damien with Blackouts, grover tunes, upgraded wiring and I THINK a new bridge...though that doesn't seem nearly as good, though a 7 string is interesting, never played one before, though I'd like to try one.
Played both at a store, They are completely different guitars feel wise. Gloss vs Satin finished neck and the hellraisers that I've played also had a bit chunkier neck than the Blackjack. Value wise, I think they are equal, they just offer different options for people.

I prefer the hellraiser over the two, I found the blackjack feeling like a toy compared to it. but I've only tried one blackjack and multiple hellraisers. But then again, what might feel like a toy to me can be another persons dream guitar.
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Ibanez Deluxe 59'er model
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive pedal
Last edited by Patrick89 at Jul 26, 2013,
As far as chunky goes, I'm kinda iffy. I don't like Gibson shaped necks, I really like fender-esque c necks, and as I said, gloss is a no-no for me, but those EMGs...
Quote by Velcro Man
As far as chunky goes, I'm kinda iffy. I don't like Gibson shaped necks, I really like fender-esque c necks, and as I said, gloss is a no-no for me, but those EMGs...

Look at an LTD H-1001. The Thin U is a wonderful consistent round curve. It's my favorite neck profile.

As for the gloss, matte finishes WILL turn gloss over time regardless. The neck and where my arm rests on my EC-1000 is almost entirely glossed.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 27, 2013,
I'm not buying, just trading. If I were buying, I'd probably buy a Peavey T-60 and never look at another guitar.
Oh, I'm sorry.

As for trade value, Blackjacks hold their value better than Hellraisers. I also have found Blackjacks to just be generally nicer looking and nicer feeling guitars.

Also keep in mind that feel preferences are always the most important aspects of a guitar. You can change pickups at any time in the future. It's not hard and there are tons to choose from. The feel of a guitar on the other hand... you can't really change that.

If you don't like gloss finishes, then the Blackjack is pretty easily the clear winner here I think.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd go with the Blackjack, personally. I prefer them. Plus I have a severe dislike of excessive abalone.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^ I agree with the terrible trend of covering a guitar in abalone. It's just gaudy.

A gloss neck can be turned to a satin neck with a little scotch brite

Just a thought, though it might not hold its trade value after something like that.
Quote by Velcro Man

With chunky I didn't meant that they were gibson like or so. Just slim medium shaped neck while the blackjack is again a bit slimmer. But neither of them is fat. People who say that all schecters have baseball necks are mostly comparing them to ibanez wizard necks. But because the Ibanez necks are paper thin, doesn't mean that the schecters are fat.

Also, I have a schecter with gloss neck and that one is totally not sticky. Still a different feel ofc but just so you know.
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Peavey Vypyr 30
Well, I do like chunky SOMETIMES, as long as it's A C neck or a comfy D. I really don't mind gloss as long as it doesn't turn sticky and hard to move around on. I remember one of those Ibanez les pauls with the weird, ruffled top, active ibanez pickups and stuff, i think it was part of the art series, awful neck design.

Also, I don't really plan to modify the guitar. I just trade around. It's taken...nearly 6 months and I've turned an Ibanez SR506 bass with a $20 squire case into a...guitar worth about $50 more (new). BUT...damn nice case...yeah, I suck at this...
Last edited by Velcro Man at Jul 27, 2013,
As long as you are enjoying it!! But I believe the schecters are C shape necks, could be wrong though.... I just pay attention to whether it feels good or not :P
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Peavey Vypyr 30
ATX Blackjack
My Gear :
ESP Original Series Arrow
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Schecter Synyster Custom
Jackson Warrior WRMG
LTD MH-50