Ok so i'm learning the rhythm guitar part of Fear of the dark and was looking ahead of where i am right now (so i know roughly what i'm gonna be playing) and the tab i use shows this for Chorus 2:

|-------------------------------------------|
|--3--------3--------3-------3-------3--|
|--1--1-1-1--1-1-1--1-1-1--1-1-1--|

I'm not quite sure how to do that properly i'm not very skilled in metal techniques

Also side question: i've completed one section at about 3/4 tempo, to bring it up to full tempo do i just need to practice, or would a metronome be useful, cos if so; i find metronomes more of a hindrance than a help right now
i suggest playing along to either the song or a backing track on youtube. When i play this section i think i downstroke the whole thing.
Quote by maidenmyguide
i suggest playing along to either the song or a backing track on youtube. When i play this section i think i downstroke the whole thing.

i can't play at full speed though i'm still learning it
A metronome will be incredibly useful. Whether you find it a hindrance or not, at one point, if you want to be serious with your playing, you'll be playing to a metronome, so it's best you get really good at playing to a metronome now, so when you get in the studio, you can be dead on, than having to learn it quickly later. It'll also make practice a lot better, for me, it's really satisfying seeing my progress with a song, looking at how much BPM I've improved by.