So yesterday I was at GC dropping off my ESP for a set up, and I saw an old Squier Strat for an unbelievable FORTY DOLLARS! I thought, "what do I have to lose?" so I bought it. Works fine for the most part, looks amazing (flat black finish on the body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard), and only has one major scratch on the back of the body. One Humbucker PU located near the bridge, one volume knob, and NO TONE KNOBS ANYWHERE (I never use tone knobs anyways). I decided that I would customize it a bit and make it even better than the day it was made 11 years ago, but I don't know what all I will do. I know I will switch out the PU for a Dimarzio (haven't decided on which one yet), fix the problem with the volume (it cuts out at times when I adjust the volume; I think its a short), replace the crappy tuners it came with with locking tuners, and lower the action (I like lower actions, and it is very high on this one), but what else should I do?
"Go roll around in your sic."- Corey Taylor

Firm hater of the Les Paul. Fan of the Iceman.

You just can't have enough guitars. It is impossible for that to happen.
$40 guitar, just play around with adding things or messing around with things you wouldent normally do with a nicer guitar.
Assuming the bridge is a tremolo, replace the cheap zinc block with brass. If you're into this sort of thing, you could try a shadow electronics kill pot, which is a kill switch and makes a pretty cool effect. maybe a push pull for series/parallel.

but really, the sky is pretty much the limit with strats
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Have fun, personally I'd think about looks too, maybe a tortoiseshell pickguard would be nice? Another mod I've always wanted to try is adding some kind of Piezo whether this is in the bridge or whatever and having a fiddle with that.
sounds like an old Bullet. A good find!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
sounds like an old Bullet. A good find!

Yeah, it was an amazing find. It was the 20th anniversary edition, from January '02 (it said that on the neck somewhere). It is actually the only Squier I've ever seen that has a fantastic fret job; no loose frets, no buzzing (even after I lowered the action), frets are rolled very nicely, and best of all, JUMBO FRETS!!! Best squier I have played
"Go roll around in your sic."- Corey Taylor

Firm hater of the Les Paul. Fan of the Iceman.

You just can't have enough guitars. It is impossible for that to happen.