In poweramps, for instance a Carvin TS100 with 6L6s or EL34s, or a Marshall 9100/9200.

I'm wondering which tube has the most headroom. I know 6L6s generally have more headroom than EL34s, but where do 5881s fall in the mix? I have read that they have less headroom than 6L6s, but do they have more or less than EL34s?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i thought 5881s were pretty much just 6L6es, but don't quote me on that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've read that they were essentially lower headroom 6L6s. I'm just wondering if they're still higher headroom than EL34s.

Not that it essentially matters with how much else can differ in a circuit, but I'm hoping in a standalone poweramp, there might be less variables.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah from what I under stand 5881's cant take the plate voltages of most modern amps. I used to have a set of the Tung Sol 5881, but not at the same time as a el34 amp.

I would have to say the 5881 probably has less headroom than an el34
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
ah ok maybe they're not the same then

carry on
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah ok maybe they're not the same then

carry on

Yeah If I remember correctly 5881's handle ~300v while most modern 6L6 are ~500+
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
ah ok yeah that's a fair difference heck the jj 6v6es (don't quote me on this) can handle more than that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I also remember the 5881 having a max of 20watts but I could be wrong. I had a set in a modern amp and they sound really good, but only last a very short time (mine lasted 3 1/2 months and then poof)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
ah right yeah that's not great
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
From my talks with Cath, a modern production 5881 is nothing like the old school ones (or at least the Sovtek ones aren't, an I don't know of any other companies that make them). The ones that are made now are more or less just regular 6L6GC, though I understand that they have slightly less output.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
From my talks with Cath, a modern production 5881 is nothing like the old school ones (or at least the Sovtek ones aren't, an I don't know of any other companies that make them). The ones that are made now are more or less just regular 6L6GC, though I understand that they have slightly less output.

That very well may be, but I do know the Tung Sol 5881 reissue is different than the 6l6
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
That very well may be, but I do know the Tung Sol 5881 reissue is different than the 6l6

Yeah I imagine the Tung Sol is a little closer to the old 5881s
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.