Hi all. Cut to the chase:

I'm in the UK.
I have a budget of £500
I'm looking for an amp that I can use for bedroom practice, and jamming with a mate or two (low volumes, not 'rehearsing', just having a laugh - no drummer!)

I'll by playing a Les Paul 70's Tribute through it (2013 Dirty Fingers model)

Built in reverb preferred (as long as its half decent).
Effects loop preferred.
Other built in effects? - meh.

Sounds I'm looking for:
blues crunch, a la Cream, Free
early metal sounds - Iomi, for eg
At the most extreme, Randy Rhodes squealy goodness
A clean sound. As long as it will clean up with the DFs rolled off, that's good enough

Now, I don't for one second expect to sound anywhere like any of the guys I just mentioned with a bedroom amp (or even if I had their exact kit - I ain't NEARLY that good!). But those are examples of the kind of stuff I play.

The emphasis is much more towards the blues than the metal. I'd really like something with dynamic response that will break up when I dig in, and sweeten when when I back off, and that will respond to rolling off the guitar volume by cleaning up, not just getting quieter.

For that reason, I was thinking valves, but I'm not dogmatic.

When I played years ago (this will be my first amp in 20 years), I had a pretty nice Marshall valve head (I was playing loud, then) which gave me the kind if tone and response I wanted. Can't remember what model it was.

Twenty years on, I'm hoping that the technology whiz kids can give me something kind of a bit close to that but at manageable levels.

Things I'm intending to try out so far are:

Blackstar HT5 (I hear great things and awful things about the small HT amps...),
Orange Tiny Terrror (but no effects loop...)
Marshal Slash 5 watt thing (pushing the budget a little, but achievable).

Ay suggestions to add to the list? Or remove from it?

Many thanks
I have played the slash sig, and I think its a great little amp. I actually used in for a few songs in the studio. It's a pretty straight forward amp, with a great crunch.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Wtf is that dude? He seems/sounds cool as ****, haha.
The Evil Robot sounds like a sweet amp, I'll +1 that
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Hmmmm....

That is a tasty burger!

Only available from Andertons though, and I'm a try before you buy guy - in Manchester.
Quote by lucky1978
Wtf is that dude? He seems/sounds cool as ****, haha.
The Evil Robot sounds like a sweet amp, I'll +1 that

You've never heard of Phil X ?!?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
You've never heard of Phil X ?!?

I don't know who Mandy Moore is either

Do you know who David Berman is?
Theres a lot of really good artists out there, it's almost impossible to know them all.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20