It's Amber! Or Orange. It's something alright! It's Marmite, you'll either love it or hate it.

I love it, even with it's issues, but we'll get to that later.

It's a 2013 Fender Select Telecaster Carved Maple Top.

Woooooo....

It's a dream to play. The action is seriously low yet it's easy to bend, it's quick, it's intonated perfectly right out of the box, you can tell Fender took some care with this one... Oh wait...

As it's chambered it's really light, it feels like you're holding a Thinline or something, but you're not, you're holding a Select. The body is Empress wood with a Carved Flame Maple Top, it's beautiful to look at. Because of the carved top the control plate is bent slightly to fit the cavity properly.

The neck is a Flame maple neck, and the flames pop when you move in the light, just gorgeous.

The pickups aren't like normal Tele pickups, they are unique to the series. The twang is there on the bridge but the neck seems to be more middy, closer to a Strat, which sounds great, almost like the best of both worlds. I much prefer the neck pickup on Teles, in fact I much prefer neck pickups in general!

It comes standard with locking tuners, here's a picture! It has a special sticker/badge thing too. I never got a Blue Peter badge when I was younger so this kinda makes up for it.

There were some issues when I got the guitar delivered from a popular and well known company. I noticed this area around the control plate as having some issues with the paint job. It's a nitro finish so it should wear, but I think it's a thicker finish than is on my Strat, more like a modern LP, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it looks like it wasn't filled properly or the nitro reacted or something, and there is white powder all over the area with some nicks and chips around the cavity. It's a £1900 guitar and it should be perfect.

So I contacted the retailer who told me that this is normal, and they would give me £40 or an exchange. I told them that it's not normal and I've owned many guitars and have been playing for years. They said I could swap it for a Custom Shop model, the Custom Deluxes, which are meant to be a slight step up, or the HH Select model.

I didn't care for any of them. I don't think 2012 was an amazing year for the Custom Deluxes and the HH wasn't for me. I want this one, it may well be the best guitar I've ever played.

After having it for a while I realised that it's hardly noticeable and I managed to get a bit of a discount from the shop, and it's cheaper there than anywhere else so I took the deal. I have contacted Fender and explained the issue so you never know what might happen.

I really really love this guitar so HNGD to me!!!

Don't forget to visit Izzys nice thread over there. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1610906

Here's my holy trinity.

Thanks for reading!!!
Last edited by Mephaphil at Jul 26, 2013,
Super pretty guitar. Glad you ended up keeping it.

HNGD
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Way to cover the bases! That's a nice addition to the family, for sure.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Dayum. Dat Tele.

HNGD!
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
i will be very surprised if fender doesn't do something about it.

the shop is one thing, but contacting fender was the right thing to do.

they want you to be happy.

congrats, the back is beautiful too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
This is interesting. I've noticed Fender's QC drop dramatically recently. We've had to send back numerous American strat's and tele's because they're scratched up horribly. Sucks that the store didn't want to do much about it.

HNGD.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Thanks!

I've sent them an email so we'll see what happens. I've looked online but I can't see many instances of what fender does in these instances. Any info?
Those 'F' things on the back of the tuners? They're not F's. They're French 7s. They're lies!
mmmh very tasty, especially that neck! congrats!

Kemper Profiler fed by:
Suhr Modern
PRS Modern Eagle Quatro
PRS Custom 22
Fender 62 Am. Vint. Strat
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Parker DF622
Ibanez SV5470
Charvel San Dimas
PRS SE Custom SH
Ibanez FR-100
Yamaha RGX-A2
Squier Vint. Mod. Tele
awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That Tele is really nice.

I just sold my tele and now I completely regret it. I think I might go for the ASAT carved top next though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
nice
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Boner: Achieved.

That looks absolutely stunning man. HNGD!

I've been gassing hard for a carved top tele with a maple top. Been looking at an FMT HH at a shop I visit after lessons. The top on yours is friggen awesome.

I'm jelly.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Really pretty guitar Phil.

Making me jealous!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Eppicurt
This is interesting. I've noticed Fender's QC drop dramatically recently. We've had to send back numerous American strat's and tele's because they're scratched up horribly. Sucks that the store didn't want to do much about it.

HNGD.

We had to return an entire batch of 2012 Strats because they hadnt let the poly cure for long enough.

It's not just Gibson with shit QC

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
We had to return an entire batch of 2012 Strats because they hadnt let the poly cure for long enough.

I think PRS has the best QC of the big guitar companies. I can't say I have ever seen a bad one from the factory
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Tom 1.0

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
three years ago when i worked in the store fender had as good of QC as there was.

phil - let us know what fender says, i'm very curious to hear their response. my honest hunch is that they will do something to make it right.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.