So I've just brought this head..... At a steal of a price £375.

I play metalcore and I've herd alot of mixed reviews on it I was wondering what if any pedals will I need?
Gear

Ibanez erd340x
Ltd H-208
Engl Powerball
Line 6 Pod Pro original
Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Samson Wireless
Harley Benton 212
Play it yourself, and hear if there's anything lacking compared to what you want.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
It won't really do extreme metal on it's own. I used to boost mine with an SD-1 and swap out the EL34s for 6L6 to get a more modern metal sound.

Play it yourself and see if you can manage with it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
the one pedal you will most likely need is something like a Tubescreamer type pedal to boost the input and tighten the bass up a little.

The VH100r is a great amp, that was a good price if it works
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Do you have a cabinet? You won't be able to do anything without one, don't even turn it on.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Do you have a cab?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have the Laney TT50 which has high gain capabilities (slightly more so than the VH100R, in my opinion) but definitely needs a tubescreamer pedal for more tight, metallic territory.
Nice steal, man (of course if it works)

I love mine. You need (as mentioned above) a Tubescreamer type of pedal. I don't use a tubescreamer for my main sound, but for solos and it does it well.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Haha yeah it works it's just been recently services and re tubes.
So I was quite happy with the price. I've just gotta order a bab. Looking at a 2x12 with vintage 30s. Ill have to see what the sounds like I kinda guessed i would need a tube screamer I see alot of people use ibanez is there any others out there That maybe I should look at?
Gear

Ibanez erd340x
Ltd H-208
Engl Powerball
Line 6 Pod Pro original
Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Samson Wireless
Harley Benton 212
Quote by tyler937
Ill have to see what the sounds like I kinda guessed i would need a tube screamer I see alot of people use ibanez is there any others out there That maybe I should look at?

Ibanez make a good one. However, the original Ibanez TS that supposedly has the 'classic' sound had its circuitry made by Japanese company Maxon. Maxon now produce their own TS model which looks aesthetically similar to the Ibanez and uses the original circuitry. Slightly more pricey (well they were when i bought mine) but I read in a guitar magazine once that producer Andy Wallace used the Maxon as he believed that it sounded better.

For more info check out: http://www.maxonfx.com/Q_And_A.php
as well as the various 'shootout' videos between the Maxon and Ibanez models that are on youtube.

These are by no means the 'best' of the TS pedals available and may not entirely meet your requirements. But they are reliable and great sounding pedals.
Quote by tyler937
Haha yeah it works it's just been recently services and re tubes.
So I was quite happy with the price. I've just gotta order a bab. Looking at a 2x12 with vintage 30s. Ill have to see what the sounds like I kinda guessed i would need a tube screamer I see alot of people use ibanez is there any others out there That maybe I should look at?

To be honest V30's are not my first choice for Laney amps, I have found that G12h30's or clones work better for most applications. At least a mix of V30 and g12h30 type speakers.

You will find that unless they are the new Celestion creamback 75, you will need to look at speakers like Eminence Wizard or WGS Reaper HP to have a 2x12 cab that can handle your VH100 safely.

But if you are getting the HB 2x12vintage then you really cant go wrong for the price

As far as TS pedals, the Digitech Bad Monkey is a really good pedal and it has bass and treble controls, which the TS-9/TS808 do not have (they have only a tone control). Joyo make a very nice inexpensive version of the TS-9 that is worth looking at.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 27, 2013,
+1 on a ts-type pedal. the bad monkey is pretty nice on the cheap. a more transparent od pedal is nice too if you want/need an always-on pedal for your rhythm tone. again, the digitech screamin blues is pretty nice for that on the cheap.

i agree that v30s wouldn't be my first choice for a vh100r (judging by my gh50L, which, far as i'm aware, is the od channel of the vh100r), but they actually do smooth and tighten it out a fair bit for heavier tones, so you could actually do a fair bit worse than v30s for the tones you want. Added to the fact that you can get the harley benton g212vintage for super cheap on thomann, it's kind of a no-brainer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm okay so what cabs would you say I should take a look at its mainly for home use when live normally the headliners or others will supply a cab. I'm recording next month and need to try and get mi rig sorted for that:/
Gear

Ibanez erd340x
Ltd H-208
Engl Powerball
Line 6 Pod Pro original
Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Samson Wireless
Harley Benton 212
hard to say v30s are pretty darn loud. that being said, they will suit the music you're gonna play. it's not like other speakers you're likely to come across are gonna be tons quieter, just a little, and it probably doesn't make much sense to get unsuitable (unsuitable is a bit strong of a word, but you know what i mean... "less suitable" would be better) speakers for the tones you want just because they're slightly quieter.

added to the fact that the v30s are the easiest good speaker to get on the cheap (since they get loaded into the good value harley benton cabinet)...

it's up to you, really. i'd probably just get the harley benton cabinet since they're so cheap. unless you come across a really good deal on something (either new or second hand).

most metal speakers are 99 or 100dB at least so it's not like there are really any quiet metal speakers...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 27, 2013,
Okay well as the hb 2x12 is only 160quid and there not bad speakers it would be sill not to really :P. and it'll be ideal for home use don't wanna kill the neighbours haha
Gear

Ibanez erd340x
Ltd H-208
Engl Powerball
Line 6 Pod Pro original
Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Samson Wireless
Harley Benton 212
v30s aren't "not bad" speakers, they're excellent speakers. The only real problem with them is that manufacturers know they're the one good speaker that most guitar players have heard of and so put them in all of their cabinets and combo amps, whether they suit them or not. But if they do suit what you're going to play (and that's the case here), they're great.

Another advantage is that there are a couple of very nice speaker combos which the v30 is part of- the g12t75 sounds really good with a v30, as does the classic lead. The g12k100 supposedly does, too (but i haven't tried it, and new it's only available in the wrong impedance to match the speakers in the harley benton cab). so you can try a different tone down the line if you feel like it for just the cost of one speaker (and the HB is a stereo cab so you can run the speakers separately to hear how they sound alone, too).

only other thing is, v30s can sound a bit harsh before they're broken in. so don't judge them until they're broken-in, kind of thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay we'll there's only one way to fine out
Gear

Ibanez erd340x
Ltd H-208
Engl Powerball
Line 6 Pod Pro original
Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Samson Wireless
Harley Benton 212
Actually Dave, what speakers would you recommend? Just threadjacking a bit, but yeah. That'd be for the combo, though.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
Actually Dave, what speakers would you recommend? Just threadjacking a bit, but yeah. That'd be for the combo, though.

Any Celestion G12h30 type speaker is what I personally like with the Laney GH/VH amps.

You have the VC100 I presume
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by AtaBorMan

out of what i've tried, I've probably liked the tayden great brit/high brit (to clarify, i mean a 2x12 with one of each of those speakers in it) or the celestion heritage 55Hz g12h30s best. that's for classic to hard rock and 80s metal tones, though. and the heritage celestions are ridiculously expensive unless you get a good deal on the lionheart cab (which is what i did).

a greenback/g12h30 (non heritage) combo was pretty nice, too, as were the wgs et65s.

i found it to be pretty forgiving of speaker type, mine (gh50L) sounded pretty good with most things I tried it with. But those were my favourites.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ VC50.

I've looked at greenbacks and their clones, but they're all 8 ohms. It should be okay to wire them in parallel put the impedance switch to four ohms, right?
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
^^ VC50.

I've looked at greenbacks and their clones, but they're all 8 ohms. It should be okay to wire them in parallel put the impedance switch to four ohms, right?

Yes, or you can wire them in series and make it a 16 ohm load
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^Yes, I know that much. thanks though. Thing is, it doesn't have 16 out. I haven't studied the schematic (I don't even think I have on) of it, and I wasn't sure it'd like that solution.

So the question wasn't how I can wire the speakers, it was whether the amp'd like it or not.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by AtaBorMan
^Yes, I know that much. thanks though. Thing is, it doesn't have 16 out. I haven't studied the schematic (I don't even think I have on) of it, and I wasn't sure it'd like that solution.

So the question wasn't how I can wire the speakers, it was whether the amp'd like it or not.

Oh I was not aware it did not have a 16ohm out. Then yes the way you are describing will work just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I thought so too, just wanted to ask more knowledgeable folks. Thanks!
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
yeah two 8 ohm speakers in parallel should be 4 ohms.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, I know basic physics.

I was under the impression that you knew more about the amp than I can make out from a vague manual. Hence my question if the amp would be alright with running the internal speakers at four ohm.

Never mind, I'll find a schematic.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Jul 28, 2013,
well no shit, so do i, but i mean you asked
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You were faster than my edit.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
ah no worries

I mean I'm guessing if there's an option to set the amp to 4 ohms, that it'll be ok with two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel.

I haven't seen a schematic either. the one i've seen says "VH100R/VC50/VC100", but then when it gets to the bit that shows the impedance options, it just says "VH100R".

EDIT: and yeah I mean I probably don't know any more than you. I'm not one of the electronics gurus round here, I just have a pretty rudimentary electronics knowledge (which often only serves to give me the wrong end of the stick ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?