I recently sold a Vintage Fender P bass and received some good $$ for it. I received 4 times what I payed for iy. I was happy. Now I'm in the market for new stuff. I want a 6 string, fretless bass, and a nice looper. I've been digging into Craigs List, E-Bay, and every local store in the Baltimore/Washington area and I come to the conclusion, now days, you will not get your money back on any guitar you spend up to $1500.00 for. I beleive you are much better off buying a used instrument, as long as you know what your doing, than spending sticker price on any guitar. Grant it, there are those HIGH END instrument that are great pieces of art and a instrument but for 90% of the musicians out there it just doesn't make sense to put that kind of money into a quality instrument.
I've also watched more new guitar reviews that any one person should be allowed to. IMHO there seems to be alot of really good musicians reviewing medium rated instruments. Any good musician can make a lame instrument sound good in a 10 minute review. All that being said, be careful out there, take a musician with you if you do not know what your doing or you will lose out EVERY SINGLE TIME...DID I mention EVERY SINGLE TIME...........

JJA
Quote by jjarbutus
I beleive you are much better off buying a used instrument, as long as you know what your doing, than spending sticker price on any guitar.

i agree with this.

the rest of your post not so much.

i prefer to buy used so i don't take the loss of depreciation when buying "anything" new.

others prefer new guitars.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^ yeah i mean it's really a judgement call and personal preference. if you go in with your eyes open (whether you choose new or second-hand), it's not really a problem.

it's also worth pointing out that some areas have a far better used market than others.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I pearsonally always buy used when I can.

Like greges pointed out, you wont take such a hit on depreciation.

You really do need to know your gear, and what to look for when buying used, or you can get screwed big time. It's always good to do a little research into the serial numbers, especially with instruments.

I actually just had an encounter with a guy the other day (local musician) who was trying to sell me his peavey windsor head for $600 CAD!! Also, he tried to tell me that the power tubes that were in it (stock) would be good for another 2 years atleast ... Come on now!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar

I actually just had an encounter with a guy the other day (local musician) who was trying to sell me his peavey windsor head for $600 CAD!! Also, he tried to tell me that the power tubes that were in it (stock) would be good for another 2 years atleast ... Come on now!

Those are $300 max used

That's alright, I saw a guy on CL yesterday wanting $1050 for an SG special Faded because he put new pickups and bought a HS case

I always go used when it is available to me. My last 3 amps and my FX were all used. I did buy several amps and guitars new because I was not aware of the great used market online.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 27, 2013,
I prefer buying new instruments. I get really connected to my guitars, if I'm the only person that's ever played them they're as much mine as they could possibly be, and I really like that. There are some that I've gotten used, but they were in great shape. I don't really care about depreciation because I plan to own the thing, value is irrelevant if I never sell it.

I ALWAYS buy pedals new. I've had bad luck with switches, etc, and if I didn't have manufacturers' warranties I'd be out a lot more money than I already am.

I know I'm in the minority by saying this but it's how I feel toward my gear.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I would buy strings used if I could!

I see nothing wrong with buying new, I'm just poor so I have to go used to get decent gear. Also, the fact that a new guitar depreciates in value as soon as you leave the store is kinda offputting.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I love buying used stuff, when I want something I'll even wait until a used one pops up to save money. Gear is built to last and it's no skin off my back if someone else touched it before me, it's mine now.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
i have one of the "higher end" squier strats that i like more than my american strat. sound and feel.

just sayin'.

and if you like an instrument, new or used, go for it if you think it's worth the money.
steve
For me, it depends a lot on what I want.

Sometimes you can't find certain new model guitars used, and if you have your heart set on it, you're forced to pay a premium.

When you can get a Gibson for nearly half off the new price by buying used, it's kind of a no brainer, especially when you factor in how many plebians with drop a ton of cash on great LPs and never use them before selling them to a guitar center to pay their overdue rent. I've seen guitars that are practically brand new being sold for half the ticket price!
Quote by Reisgar42
I prefer buying new instruments. I get really connected to my guitars, if I'm the only person that's ever played them they're as much mine as they could possibly be, and I really like that. There are some that I've gotten used, but they were in great shape. I don't really care about depreciation because I plan to own the thing, value is irrelevant if I never sell it.

I ALWAYS buy pedals new. I've had bad luck with switches, etc, and if I didn't have manufacturers' warranties I'd be out a lot more money than I already am.

That's how I do it too
Guitars:
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Gretsch G5120
1973 Japanese Les Paul

Amp:
Vox AC30C2

Effects:
MJM Brit Bender MKII tonebender clone
Boss Blues-Driver
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Echorec
Quote by Reisgar42

Exactly how I feel. Pedals, amps and other gear I will go used to save money, but when it comes to guitars, I have to buy new, otherwise it's not all mine. Irrational, I know.
Quote by Reisgar42

same here- though i wouldn't totally discount used if I could try the thing first and it were in mint condition. just the used market here is pretty crappy so you often can't do that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The only thing that I am hesitant about buying used is an amp. I will buy used from a retailer more than on CL or eBay due to the fact that I have no idea how to fix an amp if something goes wrong.
Everything else is great if you can be patient and wait for the right price. You have to be careful there are a lot of dumb people out there that ask way too much for mediocre gear. It's almost like they don't research what the item is going for and they are relying on the buyer having no knowledge of the Internet.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Buy new and you take up to a 50% beating. I do get some new like my Fender Mustang II, a used one is like a used computer, bugs sticky or stunk buttons and the like. I have many used guitars, like stealing. My Strat and Tele are used, I would never have the money for American made. Korea is my second choice and that is hard to find so I go used. I like used as much as my new Gretsch CVT. My VOX AC30 was used and is mint, I had it checked over and then I did a check.
Last edited by kevinpaul at Jul 27, 2013,
My origional post was basically focusing on Guitars and there are lots of good points here. Now since the base of this discussion has went off to other gear I would probably buy Amps, and effects new unless i knew the person selling the equipment. AT least if something is wrong the first 60 or 90 days i have a assurance i can return or trade.
I stick to my guns with used guitar. I just bought a Cordobra Classical Electric cut-a-way with a2 inch neck at the nut...You just can't find a electric classical with a 2 inch neck....The sound is top notch and the closest I found to it in a new guitar was the 1 7/8 inch neck on a Martin $3,100.00...It didn't sound better, it didn't look better, IT WAS NICE but not $2500.00 nicer than the Cordobra.... in sound, looks, or anything....I think these new guitars are way over priced.............I heard you can go to a Luthier, build you own guitar under their guidance and specs that you prefer , stay there for a week ; they put you up , feed you and provide access to their shop for 3 K..........I would do that.....
I have nothing against buying new or used. Honestly it comes up to what is available, how fat my wallet is at the moment, and how much I want to spend to get said item.

Ex) I was perfectly fine saving up till about $2800 and buying a Gibson LP new at the store but I found mine at $1500 (and I bargained down to $1200) for a guitar that was in near mint condition.
Only new. Depreciation is irrelevant to me because I never sell.

I don't like the idea of used gear. I don't like to think someone else has used something before me.

I am fortunate in that I can afford to buy good gear new, so I do. I haven't always, so I had to save up for it. It took longer that way.

In essense, this thread is about the economics of buying rather than the quality. I suspect that if everyone could afford to buy new they would do so. It's a lack of money that forces people into the used market, not that they prefer used over new. Being forced by low income into buying second-hand is not a preference, but a necessity.

Buying vintage is a different matter, and akin to buying antiques. Buying a 3 year old USA Fender Strat because you only have enough money for that or new MiM Strat is an economic choice, not an artistic one.

Unless you are prepared to save up of course, which is something that isn't done by many people in this day and age.

Anyway, new for me.
Quote by deano_l
Only new. Depreciation is irrelevant to me because I never sell.

I don't like the idea of used gear. I don't like to think someone else has used something before me.

I am fortunate in that I can afford to buy good gear new, so I do. I haven't always, so I had to save up for it. It took longer that way.

In essense, this thread is about the economics of buying rather than the quality. I suspect that if everyone could afford to buy new they would do so. It's a lack of money that forces people into the used market, not that they prefer used over new. Being forced by low income into buying second-hand is not a preference, but a necessity.

Buying vintage is a different matter, and akin to buying antiques. Buying a 3 year old USA Fender Strat because you only have enough money for that or new MiM Strat is an economic choice, not an artistic one.

Unless you are prepared to save up of course, which is something that isn't done by many people in this day and age.

Anyway, new for me.

Not true at all. I know people with plenty of money who just think its silly to pay twice as much for a guitar.

V ie.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 27, 2013,
Pedals, interfaces, speakers and items like that I'll buy new. Guitars and amps I'll check used first.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
I'be been playing for 37 years. I have had the real expensive instruments in basses and guitars. And as much as I love music and playing to me it is more about the the quality of people I'm jamming with or playing for , not so much the special wood I'm holding that with strings a wonderful sound can be heard. That sound can be replicated with numerous guitars that come at a wide range of cost. I think that cost is way to high in alot of cases...........
It depends on what it is, really. I played my SG and loved it on the spot and I got it. Still is my favourite guitar I've ever played, really. I really liked the TH30 when I played it and took it home new as well. Same story for some pedals.

Other stuff just popped up second hand and I thought it would be nice to own, so I got it second hand. A lot has stayed, a lot has gone, and I really don't regret much I've bought or sold and how much money I lost or gained on it.

The only thing I really prefer to buy new is guitars, because I like them as mint as possible. Some minor "swirl" scratches on the back don't really matter, but I wouldn't buy a second hand guitar with chips and dings, unless it's a vintage one.

The fact that I don't want to be a scumbag and go try out stuff in my music shop, really like it and then not buy it there probably leads to a lot of my new purchases as well.
In a perfect world, I'd choose new. But, with spending less money, depreciation, etc. it makes more sense to buy used.

The only time I buy new is when it's just a great deal or there's some sort of incentive. Otherwise I buy used on pretty much everything.
Quote by jjarbutus
I recently sold a Vintage Fender P bass and received some good $$ for it. I received 4 times what I payed for iy. I was happy. Now I'm in the market for new stuff. I want a 6 string, fretless bass, and a nice looper. I've been digging into Craigs List, E-Bay, and every local store in the Baltimore/Washington area and I come to the conclusion, now days, you will not get your money back on any guitar you spend up to $1500.00 for. I beleive you are much better off buying a used instrument, as long as you know what your doing, than spending sticker price on any guitar. Grant it, there are those HIGH END instrument that are great pieces of art and a instrument but for 90% of the musicians out there it just doesn't make sense to put that kind of money into a quality instrument.
I've also watched more new guitar reviews that any one person should be allowed to. IMHO there seems to be alot of really good musicians reviewing medium rated instruments. Any good musician can make a lame instrument sound good in a 10 minute review. All that being said, be careful out there, take a musician with you if you do not know what your doing or you will lose out EVERY SINGLE TIME...DID I mention EVERY SINGLE TIME...........

JJA

For sure dude.
I'll always consider used gear, like amps, pedals etc.

But I'd never buy a used guitar. No reason other than I don't like the idea of using other people's instruments. It'd never be mine in my eyes
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
Buying a used instrument worked out fine for me when I decided to start playing guitar a few months ago. I bought a cheap guitar and amp kit which received good reviews and was originally sold at a reputable music store. It had only been used for 14 days and the plastic protection was still attached to the pickguard. I only paid half the price and I even got the guy to deliver it at my door for free.

Buying used stringed instruments should be no problem, provided they are in good shape. Age and previous use should not be a problem - just think about how 300 years old Cremonese violins are considered to be the best in the world.