hey guys, so question. do you ever change the structure of a song your writing cause you don't want It to sound to much like a popular song that's already been made? example, I have a riff I came up with yesterday and I think it would sound good with maybe a clean intro followed buy a building distorted guitar and then slams into the riff I made, I think it would sound killer, but I also think it would be to reminiscent of enter sandman. what do you guys think?
Feeling>Structure

If you have a riff that is a lot like Master of Puppets (since were talking about Metallica-stuff) you can arrange it in the EXACT way as Enter Sandman but people probably link it to Master of Puppets anyway. So if the 'feeling' of the riff isn't really anything like Enter Sandman there's a big chance no one will notice unless you tell them.

The intro of Welcome to The Jungle by G 'n R has a bit the same structure as the intro of MoP. Guitar begins with segment of the riff, guitars and drums come with accents, build-up by drums and then into another riff.
You see that ^^ really doesn't make any sense does it?
Do what feels good. If you feel that the song should go like that, do it! For example there are so many songs that use ABAB(CB)B structure, that's the most common structure. But still they all sound different. So yeah, do what feels best. I don't care if my songs sound like some other songs. Because it's pretty unlikely that they will be the biggest hits and even if they did, nobody would care. Every pop song uses the same chords and rhythms and melodies and all. Just don't think about it too much and write the song.

But if I'm not satisfied about how my song sounds like, I change the parts I don't like (or add more parts).

Led Zeppelin used lots of other artists' ideas in their songs and they are one of the biggest bands ever. Though the difference between Led Zeppelin and my songwriting is that LZ "borrowed" them consciously when I might "borrow" something unconsciously. I hear something, get inspired by it, write a song and notice that it sounds kind of similar to some other song but I don't care, they are still different songs and sound different. It's very unlikely that you will accidentally rewrite Enter Sandman or Stairway to Heaven - and if you do, who cares? You don't need to publish it. You may use one part of them but nobody will notice it. You can change the way the part sounds like by changing the other instruments. For example write a different bass part or change the rhythm a bit - it gives it a different feeling and makes it sound different. Guitar part isn't the only thing in a song. And it's not the most important part in a song either.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
ok thanks guys, I always lean towards feel>>>>everything, but I jus wasn't sure when it came to something like this I suppose :p
i'll rearrange a song if it sounds better that way

and don't worry, the clean->heavy riff crap is overdone by everybody
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I personally don't change songs, because they are perfect the first time out so there's no need.
Yes you're overthinking it. Whatever helps you express yourself best. It's only reminding you of Enter Sandman because you've heard it recently or something.

Hell, some things just sound good and do not need to be changed always like power chords on guitars or that same drum rhythm you can hear in just about every punk song. As long as it's not an exact copy of something it's ok.
Last edited by Sethis at Jul 27, 2013,
Low energy, gentle texture music flowing into a high energy, harsher texture music?

That applies to A LOT of music. It isn't reminiscent of Enter Sandman, they just share a common trope. It's like saying the Rising Action, Climax, Falling action plot of Mission Impossible copies Rear Window.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by NateCochrane93
hey guys, so question. do you ever change the structure of a song your writing cause you don't want It to sound to much like a popular song that's already been made? example, I have a riff I came up with yesterday and I think it would sound good with maybe a clean intro followed buy a building distorted guitar and then slams into the riff I made, I think it would sound killer, but I also think it would be to reminiscent of enter sandman. what do you guys think?

I think it doesn't matter. Yeah, it may be a bit of a musical cliche, but who gives a shit?

Quote by NateCochrane93
do others notice structure as much as musicians? or its it just me overthinking it

I doubt the average non-musician is going to notice, or even care, if they do notice.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 28, 2013,
Its best to rip stuff from the classical masters because most people don't listened to them anyway. And those that do, its rare they listen to other stuff as well. Steal stuff from classical composers and people will think your a genius
Quote by sweetdude3000
Its best to rip stuff from the classical masters because most people don't listened to them anyway. And those that do, its rare they listen to other stuff as well. Steal stuff from classical composers and people will think your a genius

(randy rhoads) haha
Quote by sweetdude3000

I have to say that I hate rock/metal that uses ripped off classical melodies. It kind of sounds pretentious or something. Do some justice to the original song and don't rip off any melodies!
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I have to say that I hate rock/metal that uses ripped off classical melodies. It kind of sounds pretentious or something. Do some justice to the original song and don't rip off any melodies!

I hear ya, I cant consciously rip off any song or riff. its such a cop out for lack of being creative
Quote by MaggaraMarine

It's pretentious because they make it pretentious. Playing Fur Elise or the Turkish March melodies on electric guitar should be banned.