Page 1 of 2
What defines a legendary song? Is it a great riff? A great solo?

The Greatest Song Of All Time?
\m/ (-_-) \m/
A legendary song is one that defined something- an idea, a time period, etc. a song that brought people together, a song that people play to their children and experience the same power the song had from when they first heard it...

Or whatever Rolling Stone puts in their top whatever lists.
I am the decider.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Popularity+Time
Quote by CoreysMonster
If it can send Satan back to hell in a Rock Battle.

Also this.
DISCLAIMER: There's a very good chance that i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Quote by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

It's a classic if you hear it and say "oh, this one is a classic" or something like that.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Legendary -

leg·end·ar·y [lej-uhn-der-ee] adjective, noun, plural leg·end·ar·ies.
adjective
of, pertaining to, or of the nature of a legend.
celebrated or described in legend: a legendary hero.

Legend -

leg·end [lej-uhnd] noun
a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical.

So by that logic, we've probably never heard a legendary song...

EDIT: Scratch that. House of the Rising Sun... That's probably the only one.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Jul 27, 2013,
A song that is remembered fondly 15 to 20 years from when it's released.

Then you get people thinking all the music from back then was better, but only know about the songs that didn't get filtered out through the years.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by mjones1992

Obviously all church songs.
A song where if anyone but the band who wrote it plays it, they deserve to get shot.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by blake1221
Obviously all church songs.

oh yeah, you right. Well, some of them anyway.
Quote by mjones1992

EDIT: Scratch that. House of the Rising Sun... That's probably the only one.

90% of every song ever fits into that definition.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
90% of every song ever fits into that definition.

But it has to be unhistorical and/or unverifiable. So really anything that's been written down or recorded by the original composer is no longer unhistorical or unverifiable because we have the written piece or audio of it.

I only said House of the Rising Sun because it's origins are somewhat unverifiable and unhistorical since we don't know who wrote it or during what year, and it's been passed down since at least the 1930s until Bob Dylan claimed it as his own in 1962(?)
Quote by mjones1992
I only said House of the Rising Sun because it's origins are somewhat unverifiable and unhistorical since we don't know who wrote it or during what year

You can't honestly tell me that that is the only song that you know whose "origins are somewhat unverifiable and unhistorical since we don't know who wrote it or during what year"?

And that's not even what I was referring to.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jul 27, 2013,
Quote by theogonia777
You can't honestly tell me that that is the only song that you know whose "origins are somewhat unverifiable and unhistorical since we don't know who wrote it or during what year"?

Well, no. Someone above reminded me of church songs, but as far as other ones? I don't know.

But I think a better term might be 'know of' since I'm sure I know more songs that happen to be but I didn't know that they were unverifiable or unhistorical.

Lol But stoned brain is not thinking clearly. I'm going to see my way out of this one and we'll say you win this round
Subjective.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by captainsnazz
Some boring pentatonic dadrock wankery probably

Dafuq is with labeling music dadrock? isn't the pit supposed to be tolerant?
Quote by Axelfox
isn't the pit supposed to be tolerant?

no it isn't
Quote by Axelfox
Dafuq is with labeling music dadrock? isn't the pit supposed to be tolerant?

Of your armpits maybe.
Sail upon the open skies
Old people complain about how they don't make songs like that anymore
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
Old people complain about how they don't make songs like that anymore

"They" don't make them like that anymore because "they" are all dead now.
Quote by theogonia777
"They" don't make them like that anymore because "they" are all dead now.

Except Mick Jagger. I think the closest he will ever get to death is arthritis.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
Except Mick Jagger. I think the closest he will ever get to death is arthritis.

i stand by my theories that Mick Jagger has actually been dead for around 30 years and his body continues to seem semi-lifelike due to his brain still firing off electrical impulses.

and

Keith Richards has been dead for an indeterminate amount of time and a cigarette tar/smoke monster has been inhabiting his corpse and carrying on as him.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i stand by my theories that Mick Jagger has actually been dead for around 30 years and his body continues to seem semi-lifelike due to his brain still firing off electrical impulses.

and

Keith Richards has been dead for an indeterminate amount of time and a cigarette tar/smoke monster has been inhabiting his corpse and carrying on as him.

Why do you have to talk shit about the classics?
Quote by Axelfox
Why do you have to talk shit about the classics?

why do you have to edit your post 20 times?

don't lie. i saw you.

also, **** The Rolling Stones. i'll piss in Mick Jagger's face.
did you guys know that Jimmy Page kidnapped a 14 year old girl?
Quote by jakesmellspoo

Now i'm feeling really really sad.

I was reading something and found out Eric Clapton is a racist.
Last edited by Axelfox at Jul 28, 2013,
Quote by jakesmellspoo

Yup. Kinda puts your own life into perspective, doesn't it?

All the little things you do wrong that other people can never forget seem pretty bullshit and tedious in comparison.

Next time somebody's like "Man you're a jerk, I hate you" just go "OH YEAH WELL JIMMY PAGE KIDNAPPED AND HAD SEX WITH A KID BACK IN THE SIXTIES AND EVERYBODY LOVES HIM"
Page 1 of 2