Hi guys,
I've loved the elec guitar all my life, well the sound of it
But I am just starting out, & I'm looking for what's
A good starting e/guitar to learn a few cobain riffs
I'm not trying to be like him but I love the tunes
& would love to be able to play a few as I heard its good to start with
I'm not looking to spend much but I don't know what to look for
Is Monterey guitars able to pull off the sound

I know it don't matter what you start with but I at least want something that can pull it off
I'd look towards a Squire Strat or maybe a Fender Strat. Something along those lines.
Look for a squire Stratocaster with a bridge humbucker .

You will also need an amp. The Fender Mustang, Vox VT, Roland Cube and Peavey Vypyr amps are worth looking into. They have lots of different sounds, FX and they have built in guitar tuners
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Is it better getting a old fender/squier strat
Or should I start out with that newish USB squier fender strat
As long as I get a decent amp with it, don't want to use it with headphones
Specifically, a used Mexican Fender Strat, or a Squier Classic Vibe are the two you want to be looking at.

The amps listed are all fine for beginners.

Depending on where you live that setup could be got for around £400 or $500 (so I gather).
Sweet thanks guys, now at least I'm a bit more informed
What 2 look out for when I go for a few drives to some places this week
If you're buying used and have seen an advert online post the link and some pictures so we can make sure it's not a fake.
Yamaha Pacifica. I buy one for me the 331h model. Look for the 112v and 120h.
Many players start with this guitars and keep them for a gigs. pacifica is decent, sound great.
Quote by Soundcaster
Yamaha Pacifica. I buy one for me the 331h model. Look for the 112v and 120h.
Many players start with this guitars and keep them for a gigs. pacifica is decent, sound great.

this, pacifica's are great. and get a roland cube for your amp.

i have a montery strat, i wouldnt recommend one
if your budget is around 250$, a used fender made in mexico strat is perfect.

squier is crap IMO. my MIM strat is the first guitar i bought and is still one of my favorites.
Quote by Steej
http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/prodcat/Guitars/Electric_Guitars/brand/Squier.aspx

I can buy any on this, but im not sure which ones have a bridge humbucker. should i just pick up any of them & start playing or spend more time looking around

I thought that chain closed down last year.

A humbucker is a pickup that looks like 2 of the single pickups side by side. They are also listed as HSS or HSH (humbucker,single,single or humbucker,single,humbucker is what it means) on the page you linked
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 29, 2013,
Just save up a bit more to get a quality used Gibson or Fender, maybe Epiphone (Change the pickups and they serve you well, believe me I have 4 of em and they are amazingly good guitars) Fret buzz, high action and being hard to play can all be major factors in getting discouraged from playing. Bypass all this by getting one guitar that feels good to you. Ultimately if you have the passion for it, you will do well.

Just my £0.02 pence.
All about the mids!!!!!!!
Quote by SteveJB1989
Just save up a bit more to get a quality used Gibson or Fender, maybe Epiphone (Change the pickups and they serve you well, believe me I have 4 of em and they are amazingly good guitars) Fret buzz, high action and being hard to play can all be major factors in getting discouraged from playing. Bypass all this by getting one guitar that feels good to you. Ultimately if you have the passion for it, you will do well.

Just my £0.02 pence.

TS is from Australia a Squier affinity is $260.

A decent set-up can make a $100 guitar play very nice.

Was your first guitar a Gibson or Fender? Probably not, few spend that type of money on their first instrument.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
MY first instrument was an Epiphone (One of the brands I stated) but I wish id saved up for a Gibson beforehand for playability, sound and quality. Also for the ability to gig with in a few years after id been playing. Once you get a Gibson or Fender, you dont really need another guitar. Its all about personal taste.

If you like the way it feels and plays go for it. Dont listen to anything but your heart.
Quote by SteveJB1989
MY first instrument was an Epiphone (One of the brands I stated) but I wish id saved up for a Gibson beforehand for playability, sound and quality. Also for the ability to gig with in a few years after id been playing. Once you get a Gibson or Fender, you dont really need another guitar. Its all about personal taste.

If you like the way it feels and plays go for it. Dont listen to anything but your heart.

I agree that you should get the best you can afford, but in Australia Gibson and Fender are 2x the price they are in the USA. Even the DOT studio (a $299 USD) is $500AU

I have owned Gibson and Fender and sold them to get other gear. I now own no Gibson or Fender at the moment
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I own a Gibson SG and I see no other reason to get another guitar, unless you arent happy with the humbucking sound. I have single coil, P90's, humbuckers, filtertron guitars and that is only because I enjoy the different timbres. Yet realistically, 1 great guitar will serve you in every single aspect and Gibsons, Fenders and loads other good quality guitars are massively versatile. Hence "really dont need another guitar"
All I wanna do is learn some nirvana & be able play the tunes, not exactly the same but able to rock out with something viable to pull it off, remincent with practice.
I have experience with friends set ups but that was while I was in Seattle
I'd look at either Dean Zelinsky Private Label (they seem to be very decent guitars at pretty cheap prices since they're only starting off) or Squier Vintage Modified/Classic Vibe (considering you want to get Nirvana sounds, you might like the Jaguar or the Mustang).

The Fender Modern Player Jaguars are at blowout prices where I am, you should look out and see if it's the same in your area.
Quote by SteveJB1989

On the other hand would you appreciate the quality of the guitar you have now if you hadn't had the Epiphone? Really, that's the beauty of starting on a lowest bidder chinese replica, you know just how much better off you are when you get there.

And come on now, you don't need a first class guitar to gig.
No im saying that would be the best option looking back now. Id rather I hadn't spent money on 5 guitars that were shit and saved up for a fantastic one. On the other hand you are right about appreciating quality. But I have many Epiphones and they are quality instruments.

I didnt say you need one, I said that would be the ideal scenario.
Can I learn on on a squier humbuck strato? then jump upto a fender jaguar?
Quote by Steej
Can I learn on on a squier humbuck strato? then jump upto a fender jaguar?

Yeah.
I use 5-6 different guitars all the time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My friend had a Squier before he got another guitar, I started with something called a Rocky by Condor, and then I got a Fender YJM and later a custom made guitar.
My point is, whatever guitar you get for your first, if it at least feels okay, and you enjoy it, then it's a good beginners guitar. Many beginners get that feeling that if you have a custom Gibson you play well, and if you have a Squier, you suck.
It doesn't matter WHAT you play, it's HOW you play it. If you like playing, be dedicated and persistent. You'll get play whatever you want like that. For now, just practice and you'll be just fine.