Hey all.
I've just had this idea about a design for a pickup and wanted to know if it is possible or if it has already been attempted.
So essentially it's 2 pickups for an electric guitar that are stacked on top of each other that have room for the guitar string to move between them.
Thoughts on this?
I know absolutely nothing about the workings of magnets or electrical components so it might sound utterly ridiculous to those who know about that stuff. I plead naivety now..

Cheers.
No it is not a good idea
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Where would you put your hand? The pickup'd be in the way. Not to mention all the complications of the magnetic fields disrupting each other and causing all sorts of phasing and imbalance, ultimately ruining the point of using a pickup in the first place.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
well you would create such a strong magnetic field around the entire pickup all the sustain will be lost.

It will be cumbersome to strum around

I don't know all the other tech aspects, but I think you would be wasting money buying the parts to make it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Fair enough. I suppose it could be possible to make the space for it so I don't really see that as an issue but if the physics of it don't work than forget it. (:
To be honest, the physics might not be 100% in your favour, but I would say try it. The results might not be great, but if it's something you want to try you can at least look at it as being an experiance you can learn from.

As for the 'it would get in the way' problem. What I'm seeing in my head wouldn't be any worse than a covered telecaster bridge or one of those large metal pickup covers that some basses have. Saying that, what I see in my head is probably totally different to what TheAscendant is thinking of.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Jul 28, 2013,