I currently play a floor POD 2.0 thru some studio monitor. I just need more. I live in an apartment so that also gives me limitations and the genre is like van halen type stuff into heavy high gain stuff. The sound I true love what I miss is the old jcm/800/900 I remember how warm it was, I have heard that the new yamaha thr10 has that type of sound but the speakers are like 6' and there is 3 of them. I also considered a vox valvetronix but I heard its not really geared for metal....so what do you think?
You've done your homework and I'll +1 your own opinion.

I like vt's but high gain is definately not their best tone.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lp4lifessamberl
that doesnt help much

Well then **** you. Let someone else make your mind up for you.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
That escalated quickly... In truth, you're probably not going to get a warm Marshall-y sound in an apartment setting. You'd need something tubed, and you generally need it to be turned up a bit before it starts to get that warm, creamy sound. You could get a low-wattage tube amp but those can be hit-and-miss depending on which one you go for.

You should really post your budget, if it's ever going to be used live, new or used, the things in the sticky...
Why not just get whatever you want to get? You liked the jcm/800/900? Get it. I'm sure it has a headphone jack.

I once had a whole studio set up when I had an apartment with a few band mates and we ran everything through a mixer and a headphone splitter (4-way split) and we were able to have full band practice minus the drummer at 2 AM on a weeknight if we wanted.

As far as recording goes, just do it when you know people are going to be at work. I always knew that between 11a-4p I could record tracks during the day, and still probably get away with it until about 8p-ish, depending on my neighbors.

Another good idea is to get to know your neighbors. Ask them when they usually work (but make sure to explain it's because you're going to be banging away on a guitar with a loud-ass amp so they don't assume you're trying to conduct a robbery). Then you can plan around that. Most people are pretty reasonable when it comes to music as long as it's at a reasonable hour.
Quote by mjones1992
Why not just get whatever you want to get? You liked the jcm/800/900? Get it. I'm sure it has a headphone jack.

No, neither the 800 or the 900 have a headphone jack.

I say buy whatever the hell you want though. I live in an apartment and haven't had a problem with my rig, and it was ridiculous about a month ago before I sold some stuff. The Diezel was 180w and I could play it at 10 o clock on the master no problem.

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
How about putting a pedal in the loop of your modeler? Have you tried Blacjstar's HT-Dual? That sounds awesome on its own via its modeled output or through an amp rig. Definitely tube-like tones. I think they have single pedals that also might work if you don't want the crunch setting on the dual.
the thr10 would work for you.

it's better than the 2.0.

my opinion anyway.

it does not get very loud, so if you ever want to crank it up. well, that's not really gonna happen.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 28, 2013,
Quote by gregs1020
the thr10 would work for you.

it's better than the 2.0.

my opinion anyway.

it does not get very loud, so if you ever want to crank it up. well, that's not really gonna happen.

does it give you enough bass out of the small speakers?
Quote by mmolteratx

I say buy whatever the hell you want though. I live in an apartment and haven't had a problem with my rig, and it was ridiculous about a month ago before I sold some stuff. The Diezel was 180w and I could play it at 10 o clock on the master no problem.

stop stroking.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by lp4lifessamberl

Physics say "no".
I'd advise you to at least get something with a 112 cab. Make sure you don't place the cab directly on a hard floor, or something that'll pick up the vibrations too much and you'll be fine.
I got both my bass cab and guitar cab (112) on a thicker "exercise mat" type thing, and that is on top of a small riser from the floor.
I live in an apartment, and I haven't had any complaints so far...albeit I play at fairly "sensible" levels..but still enough to get a grin on my face now and then
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
get an amp with a power soak and a good taper on the volume / master knobs. none of that 1 to 10 feeling. it sounds stupid, but it is a reality.

i wanted a 15-20 watt map with power scaling, ended up buying a 40 watt amp because of the reason above. the tweaker 40 simply is "tweak able" at low volumes. i had to buy the 40 watt for 2 channels.....ruled the 15 out.

now, my 2x12 cab with decently high efficiency WGS speakers....thats the overkill part. puts out that sound alright....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by mmolteratx

10 o clOck?! You neighbors are probably dead now.
Quote by lp4lifessamberl

pretty surprising really.

it's not like most solid state practice amps, not a garbage kids toy by any means.

but if you are looking for something to turn up and play with friends, ever, well it's not going to hold up too well.

but for playing at home or through headphones, it's very good.
Marshalls are all about LOUD. Pushing the power amp til it's crying. You're better off with a clean amp and a Marshall-in-a-box
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by lp4lifessamberl
I currently play a floor POD 2.0 thru some studio monitor. I just need more. I live in an apartment so that also gives me limitations and the genre is like van halen type stuff into heavy high gain stuff. The sound I true love what I miss is the old jcm/800/900 I remember how warm it was, I have heard that the new yamaha thr10 has that type of sound but the speakers are like 6' and there is 3 of them. I also considered a vox valvetronix but I heard its not really geared for metal....so what do you think?

I got a Vox Valvetronix VT120+ last night on craigslist. I had no plan on getting another amplifier at this point, but I was just looking at Blackstar stuff for fun and saw this Vox amp and was intrigued especially since the guy only wanted $200 and all the others I saw were at least $350-450.

So far, I like it a lot. I don't have much use for built-in effects and did not have enough time to check out all of the different simulations. It can get really loud, but it also has a speaker simulated headphone jack which is nice.

As far as metal sounds, I will play around with it after work and let you know what it can do. It has several different metal amp models on it...I haven't listened to any of the 99 presets but there are probably a bunch of metal presets.
I don't know what metal sounds you are looking for, but this VT120 could do any sort of classic metal sound...Judas Priest/Mercyful Fate/Saxon type of stuff. The US high gain and US metal would probably be capable of doing newer metal stuff. I don't know if there are presets on here to get a super high gain-distorted type of sound.

There are several presets for certain songs that come included with all VT+ amps (I am assuming they come with all as they share the same owner's manual).

Five Minutes Alone, Raining Blood, Enter Sandman....I guess those aren't exactly brand new songs either.....
Last edited by bigblockelectra at Jul 29, 2013,
What you need is a new home.
Why the **** would a guitarist want to live in an apartment building? Go house hunting.

Otherwise just buy a HD500 and a good pair of headphones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Or start/join a band. If only to split practice room rent four ways.

My last band kept our practice room for months after we split up just cause we all lived in apartments.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 30, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
What you need is a new home.
Why the **** would a guitarist want to live in an apartment building? Go house hunting.

Otherwise just buy a HD500 and a good pair of headphones.

this man speaks the truth
cath you just opened up a whole new can......new house day?

"dude i can rock out in this basement so hard, the bass on this tri rec is really going to sound great in this spacious concrete room....."
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
new home $350,000.00.

new amp $299.00.

yep, cathbard nailed it.