Don't have any experience with them, but I've been considering getting one since so many people swear by them. Obviously they have a good rep, but are they really worth 100+ bones?
Q is for Cheese
I would say so. I have an MXR 10-band and it's a pretty integral part to my rig. I was skeptical at first too, but as soon as I added it to my chain and dialed in how I usually EQ my tracks when I record, the difference was very noticeable.

Think of it this way: You will never have a track professionally recorded without the guitars needing to be EQ'd. So why wouldn't you EQ your live sound?

So worth 100+ bones? yes.

EDIT: on that note, a compressor is also a great thing to have in a daisy chain.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Jul 28, 2013,
Quote by KinkyC
Don't have any experience with them, but I've been considering getting one since so many people swear by them. Obviously they have a good rep, but are they really worth 100+ bones?

Some amps can really benefit from having an EQ in the loop, but others really don't need it.

What amp is it for?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by KinkyC

I don't know, do you feel like there's something missing in your sound? Specific frequencies that need tweaking? There's no point if you like what you're hearing

I had one for a while, then realized after about a year that I liked the original sound at least as much. I got it because "so many people swear by them," but ended up not needing it at all.
WTLTL 2011
I do home playing and recording... and so if I want to alter my tone via EQ, I simply do so through my DAW program or via my amp or tone control on my guitar (and I have a Boss GT-Pro rack unit that allows me to EQ and save the patch... in that sense I 'could' use an EQ if I wanted to). However, for the gig musician I can see this having benefit. I have a Source Audio digital and programmable EQ (it stores 4 settings)... and so you can go from heavy rhythm with thick bass to a more searing lead at the click of a foot switch.
Lots of people swear by tampons, too, maybe you should go buy a box just to see what all the fuss is about?
maybe
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
Some amps can really benefit from having an EQ in the loop, but others really don't need it.

What amp is it for?

Fender Frontman 65 (Yeah it's a shitty amp, exactly why I've been considering an EQ, especially since I don't have the money for a decent tube amp)

Should I go for the MXR like another poster in this thread or a Boss? I've heard really good things about the Boss EQ
Q is for Cheese
Quote by KinkyC
Fender Frontman 65 (Yeah it's a shitty amp, exactly why I've been considering an EQ, especially since I don't have the money for a decent tube amp)

Should I go for the MXR like another poster in this thread or a Boss? I've heard really good things about the Boss EQ

Get which ever you are more comfortable paying for

But with your amp, don't expect miracles.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Roc8995
Lots of people swear by tampons, too, maybe you should go buy a box just to see what all the fuss is about?

Nice.
Great thing about having an EQ in the loop is being able to adjust for different rooms, venues or while working on your tone for recording. It definitely wouldn't hurt to have one in there, but it isn't a necessity by any means.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
I use mine to shape my clean sound a bit more, to compensate for the small drop in volume when I switch from my bridge humbucker to my neck single coil and as a clean boost for solos.

That being said, get the joyo. It's good and it's half the price. If you realize EQs aren't for you, you won't have wasted so much money
got a boss eq used for 40 bucks. i dont really use it, but keep it since i never know when i might have a use for it.

i would say that ideally i would prefer to have the amp, guitar tone, and all my pedals add thier own color and EQ by themselves. i look at an EQ as a remedy for lacking tone in other areas. perhaps thats why i dont use it, i am pretty happy with my sound, BUT when you want to be able to change things up its nice to have around.

however, i recommend one with a level control because it will double as a clean boost. also, when you boost the frequencies high enough, generally your actual volume will increase, so if you want unity its nice to cut the DB overall volume (for example, if you boost the crap out of your mids, and then cut the volume a tad)
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)