Okay, so I really know nothing about pickups when it comes to wiring, and I just bought a single-coil a few days ago and received it today in the mail.

Im just a bit confused of how these wires coming out of it are attached..

There's 3 wires: a white one, red one, and a bare one. As you can see in the pics, the red one and the bare one are soldered together. All I'm wanting to do with this pickup is wire it directly to an input jack, skipping the pots. Which wires are which, exactly?

Is there anything I need to do, like separate the red and bare wires or anything like that?
Strange... I don't know what's going on with the wire attached to the bare wire, but usually a bare wire indicated a ground wire, so I would say ground the red one and use the white for hot.

EDIT: I'm looking at some diagrams online, and usually they solder two wires together like that for a coil-tap pickup, but you have a single-coil, no? very confusing. I'm almost certain that the red soldered to the bare is the ground though.

EDIT 2: Wait, is that pickup active or passive? if it's passive, what I said above is probably correct, if it's active, then use the red to connect to the battery.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Jul 28, 2013,
It's a passive, single coil pickup.

And just to clarify, the red and bare wires go to the ground, so it doesn't matter that they are connected, and the white goes to the hot?
Quote by Rhoads56
And just to clarify, the red and bare wires go to the ground, so it doesn't matter that they are connected, and the white goes to the hot?

Yes they both go to ground, even if they go to different ground points, you'd want those ground points to be connected together. Yes the white goes to hot.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Last edited by Lavatain at Jul 28, 2013,
Alright. Thanks for all of the help, both of you! That diagram was great as well! I never even thought of looking on the makers website, next time I'll do that, hahaha!
Quote by Rhoads56
Alright. Thanks for all of the help, both of you! That diagram was great as well! I never even thought of looking on the makers website, next time I'll do that, hahaha!

"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Rhoads56

Good luck and enjoy your new pickup! :-D