Hey people! so i just realized tube amp heads are really expensive and that im not even close to having one until i have a real job so im looking for alternatives

im thinkin on gettin a new tube amp combo i would use it for giggin and practice
i want a 2X12 with reverb control and if possible chorus effect

i play hard rock with some black album metallica thrown in the mix

i use a mexican fender fat strat and a ltd Ex 50

i live near San antonio Tx.

and im looking for something under a 1000

any ideas?
Try the Peavey 3120 and 6505 combos. Alternately you can also get a head and 4x12 for around $1000 if you buy the head used. If you want to take a look at used gear try also the JCM2000 DSL or Peavey JSX. 4x12s second hand could be had for about $400 and the amps probably for about $500-$600.
Alternately you can also look into the Carvin V3, they have a smaller head version that should work great with a 2x12 that will clock right about under $1000.
Even though you think you can't afford a head/cab setup, it's well within your reach if you have $1000 to spend. These are all on the San Antonio craigslist.

Peavey 5150 II - $900
Sovtek MIG 60 halfstack - $650
Reb Bear MK120 halfstack - $650
Marshall DSL100 head only - $650

But if you want a combo, there are a few options, too. All of these are 2x12 combos.

Peavey Vypyr 100 - $365
Mesa/Boogie 5:50 express - $650
Peavey 5150 - $500
Carvin X100b - $385
Line 6 Flextone III - $250

These two won't get the distortion you need on their own, but with the money left over in your budget, you could get whatever you wanted in a distortion pedal.
Bassman clone - $350
Musicman HD130 - $500

The only two amps on there that have built in chorus is the Vypyr and the Flextone, but you can pick up a decent chorus for cheap, too.

Boss CE5 - $30
Boss CH1 - $40
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone - $40
Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus (new version) - $35
Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus (old version, not FAB version) - $25
DOD Ice Box - $50
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jul 28, 2013,
Grab a used Mesa Mark IV combo. You should be able to find one around $800-$1000.

You could also look for a used EVH 5150 iii mini head and get a cheap temporary cabinet. The head will cost you somewhere around 800 used.

Don't get a Vypyr 100. It's not worth it.
I'm not sure if a Mesa 5:50 is a good choice either. I've heard some bad things about them, but I've never tried one myself. A Mark IV would be infinitely better than a 5:50 though.

Maybe a used Mini Rectifier head? Probably would cost around as much as a used Mark IV combo though, so maybe not.
blackstar stage 60. the reverb is footswitchable.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
+1 for blackstar Ht- stage awesome amp

Carvin V3m would fit in your budget and it is an awesome amp
Check ENGL gigmaster combo, super nice too.
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
blackstar stage 60. the reverb is footswitchable.

How good are those blackstar? also how good its the ht 100 head?
I love my Blackstar HT Club 40. Works well and is super versatile
Matt

Quote by lookpizza
I like threads with lists. Then I get to feel hip and cool when the bands I like aren't on them.
would the 60 be a good choice for going vs a marshall half stack and miced drums and keyboard?
Last edited by MeTAL SOLDIER at Jul 29, 2013,
The stage 60 rips, and the stage 100 is the head version of it. Even with the awful infinity pups of an rg I was using, the stage 60 had enough options to sound good. Along with deprecate EQ, it also has presence and resonance. You can do the genres you listed.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
The stage 60 rips, and the stage 100 is the head version of it. Even with the awful infinity pups of an rg I was using, the stage 60 had enough options to sound good. Along with deprecate EQ, it also has presence and resonance. You can do the genres you listed.

how loud is it? because i need something that can handle a half stack and a miced drum and keyboard
Quote by MeTAL SOLDIER
would the 60 be a good choice for going vs a marshall half stack and miced drums and keyboard?

Depends on the half stack (50 or 100 watt?).

Usually 50 watt tube through a 4x12 (even in most cases 2x12) is enough to compete with drums, not sure how it will compete with the other instruments but once you are level with the drums you should tune the equipment to complement each otehr but as we know that doesn't always work, so i is a good idea to have the better and louder rig so you can dictate the terms in the band
Try the Blackstar before you buy it. Some people like it, some don't.
Quote by RStrat
Try the Blackstar before you buy it. Some people like it, some don't.

They definitely seem to be a polarizing brand. Personally I love them. For the price I don't know that you can do much better for an amp with tubes and all the features they come with.