Is it really possible to play so much that your fingers bleed? I know that the album "let it bleed" by the stones was giving that name because Keith's fingers bleed during that album.
How long does it take before your fingers start to bleed?
-Let the led out-
I had a friend who played so much in one night that his fingers bled a little bit. It shouldn't happen often, really.
I bleed semi-regularly when I play with my band, and it's happened with both hands too. It only happens at good shows and great practices though.
Quote by Lvl 4 Hencman
I bleed semi-regularly when I play with my band, and it's happened with both hands too. It only happens at good shows and great practices though.

I guess that means you don't use a pick?
-Let the led out-
I've bled before and gotten really bad blood blisters another time. It's not a common occurrence though. Usually happens after like 10+ hours of play (yay amphetamines!). I also find that it's more likely to happen if you're using an extremely high string gauge.
Quote by Led Zep fan
Is it really possible to play so much that your fingers bleed? I know that the album "let it bleed" by the stones was giving that name because Keith's fingers bleed during that album.
How long does it take before your fingers start to bleed?

You're fingers aren't "supposed" to bleed, regardless of what Bryan Adams says.

If you have a particularly wild, aggressive playing style then you could easily end up breaking the skin on your picking hand but it's certainly not normal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Theoretically, after very, very long practice session, your skin will eventually tear and start bleeding.

Practically, I have never experienced that.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
iv split my picking hand, but that was from sloppy ass strumming
My fingers don't bleed. If your fingers start bleeding you are doing something very wrong, like applying to much pressure to your fretting hand.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
I can only see it happening with Acoustic percussive styles, where your hands are really hitting the strings and strumming with the back of your hand, i've never heard of it though.

I've practiced ridiculous hours myself (10+) but the worst that ever happened to me was sore hands, never tore the skin that far. I guess someone starting out with no callous could possibly do it.
I heard um... Ted Nugent? would practice until his fingers bled, a bit silly but yeah... In my opinion it's bad technique that would cause it.
If you bleed during any activities other than intentionally bleeding, you're doing something wrong.

Edit:

If you're intentionally bleeding, you're doing something wrong too.
I don't get it on my fretting hand, but when I play bass with a pick, the side of my finger sometimes hits the string and I bleed from the join in my nail. That's not too comfortable...
I don't use a pick and I've played sometimes for 6 or more hours a couple of times. My fingers never got close to bleeding, but my fretting hand had massive string marks or whatever you call them. I think it would be very difficult to bleed unless you're attacking the guitar like what Jack White did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9cHUC4qNsg
I played for 8 hours in a pub one night, no sign of bleeding. The current record for guitar playing is something like 3 days non stop (set in Dublin last year) and no sign of blood.

Something is very wrong.
Yeah, chances are if your fingers bleed when you're playing guitar, then your technique is a lot wrong. You're either pressing down to hard, playing with to much tension, or you haven't built up your calluses yet. I could see a beginner who doesn't have calluses doing it relatively easily, but other than that, it shouldn't happen. And as far as if it's a technique issue, to fix it just press down as lightly as you can while still retaining clear notes and everything that goes with that. There's a great article here that explains it really well. I don't remember if it was in the lesson section of the column section, but it was about how to deal with all of the extra tension. You just play while keeping your hands and muscles in your arms relaxed. It's not as easy as it sounds at first.
Last edited by lightdark at Jul 28, 2013,
Depends on skin, I remember when I started playing I could barely play for like 5-10 minutes at a time because my acoustic guitar would just rip my hands apart. Though now that the skin toughened up I really never have any trouble, just have a lot of skin peeling if it's very hot and I play really often for a long period of time.
I've been playing for 5 years and my finger never bled. There were a few weeks here and there where I played like 6 or more hours a day, every day. I never had it happen and I saw how it was possible for it to even happen. Oh well, it might be different from player to player.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by steven seagull
You're fingers aren't "supposed" to bleed, regardless of what Bryan Adams says.l.
He was referring to tenderfoot fingers, and crappy guitars. My first acoustic, (from "Woolworth's", I believe), roughed up my fingertips quite a bit.

In any case, check out the cover of The Who, "Sellout". You'll see Townshend's strumming hand all busted up from doing windmills.....

Yeah, it would be much more apparent on an old vinyl record jacket....
there's a big difference between "roughed up a bit" and "bleeding"

I'm well aware Pete Townshed used to mess up his strumming hand, but those windmills of his are an extreme case, not the norm - you hit what's effectively a cheesewire at that kind of speed then you're bound to do some damage! Most people don't regularly like that, or indeed can't because they have things like lampshades and furniture in the way
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
...[ ]....Most people don't regularly like that, or indeed can't because they have things like lampshades and furniture in the way
Yeah, ya gotta watch it, especially if you're on the tall side. Those goddamn ceiling fans fight back....
anyone who says they never twatted a lampshade whilst attempting a windmill is a godammn fibber
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
anyone who says they never twatted a lampshade whilst attempting a windmill is a godammn fibber
Why, I've never evn attempted a windmill........