I have a very old Krämer Vanguard (1984) with a schaller floyd rose tremolo, and the strings (D'Addario .009) on it are just very loose, they are totally killing my rhythm playing and alternate picking compared to my newer Epi Explorer (with the same strings), on which I can play riffs just fine (i do have problems with solos on that though :P the strings are too stiff, or maybe the neck is too "slow?"). The dude i bought it from also owns a guitar shop, where i bought the strings i put on, and they still weren't the enviromental friendly packaged strings, making them at least 23 years old?! Anyway, does that affect stiffness in any way? Because they weren't corroded at all. Also, my teacher used to keep recommending me to remove one of the three tremolo springs to make divebombs and squeals easier (not that i do it often, they sound very powerless (i wonder if its the ancient seymour duncan pickups'* or my doing))... is that smart or anything? it doesnt sound like a good idea to me

*EDIT: plus Marshall mg10 max gain
Last edited by HUNDuffman at Jul 28, 2013,
On that amp, yes a lot of things are gonna sound muddy and powerless. It's the inescapable curse of the cheap practice amp. I live in an apartment so I don't really have anything better either though! (Fernandes FA-20D)

I don't know what you play usually but 9's generally feel very loose and flimsy, and kill my rhythm, just like you say.
Quote by Espace39
The floyd rose could be out of tune.

but floyd roses themselves don't go out of tune...

it could be a bad batch of strings, it happens.

maybe try some thicker strings (10's or 11's) or maybe even hybrid strings and see how you get on
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
if your playing rhythm id buy heavier strings regardless id try as dempsey68 said 10's or 11's or heavy bottem light top ernie ball
Quote by sashki
What strings do you use on your explorer?

the same .009 d'addario, only its not from the fcking medieval like the other set
Quote by johnnykbop
On that amp, yes a lot of things are gonna sound muddy and powerless. It's the inescapable curse of the cheap practice amp. I live in an apartment so I don't really have anything better either though! (Fernandes FA-20D)

I don't know what you play usually but 9's generally feel very loose and flimsy, and kill my rhythm, just like you say.

well im glad that nothing is wrong with me at least :P
If I've got your information right, you've got a super old set of strings on this old guitar. Get new strings on both guitars.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.