Hi all, I'm guessing you guys know your stuff when it comes to gear, basically I want a 'grungy' sound (very much like nirvana) and looking for somewhat a cheap way to obtain it. Now I was looking on the market for gear and well basically I found that I think the electro-harmonix big muff pi sounds great and wud be a good buy, but I also came across the Electro Harmonix Double Muff Fuzz & Overdrive Pedal which is cheaper for a reason I don't know. Why wud it be cheaper is my question? Cheers oh FYI my friend is gonna lend me his boss distortion DS-1 which is apparently a good one to obtain the sound I want too

Side question any of pedals you'd advise?
What amp are you using? Kurt mostly used Fender amps and that will play a huge part in getting his "tone"
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I believe Kurt actually used a DS-1 if I remember correctly. It's been a long time since I was into Nirvana but I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.
They were saying it was a ds2 in another thread. I think a 4x12 is useful to get all the controlled sloppy feedback too.

And a small clone.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 28, 2013,
Quote by lucky1978
They were saying it was a ds2 in another thread. I think a 4x12 is useful to get all the controlled sloppy feedback too.

And a small clone.

No Kurt used a DS-1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quick look on guitargeek says that he has used both the DS-1 and DS-2 (on different tours, not at the same time). Also a Small Clone, Polychorus, and a Mesa preamp. His 1994 live setup was actually kind of elaborate.
For Nevermind tone you can really use any humbucker (Dimarzio Super Distortion gets the closest) guitar through a DS-1 into almost any amp EQ'd right.

EDIT: Don't forget the small clone
As far as distortion goes, the DS-1 was key for the tones on Bleach and how he sounded live for years. For Nevermind he used the Proco Rat as well. After a while he started using a DS-2, but his secret weapon for the later Nirvana stuff was the Sansamp Classic. That was his go-to distortion from about 1992 on.

For other pedals, early on he used a Small Clone, and later added an EHX Polychorus, which are now crazy expensive, so just stick with the Small Clone. Great sound you can get for pretty cheap.

A big part of his tone on the albums was the amp too. He used a Fender Twin for Bleach and In Utero, and used a Mesa Boogie and Fender Bassman on Nevermind.

Edit: I should also mention he used a Big Muff for a few songs on Nevermind. Lithium for sure, maybe a couple more.

Kurt's equipment is a great website for this stuff.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Jul 28, 2013,
Quote by vanitybinge
DS2 and a Shotgun

Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
And the ability to shoot yourself while you're in a coma.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Courtney would come in handy for that
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by ibanart300
Courtney would come in handy for that

Last edited by iwannabesedated at Jul 28, 2013,
First thing: The Double Muff Overdrive isn't really going to get that kind of a sound. What you should honestly get is a Proco Rat because the DS-1 is a piece of shit.

Now your Nirvana history lesson:

In the Bleach era Kurt used a DS-1 (a Rat and an MXR Distortion+ have been pictured as well). In the Nevermind era, he used an EHX Small Clone and eventually swapped the DS-1 for a DS-2. In the In Utero era he used a Tech 21 Sansamp Classic, a DS-2 for The Man Who Sold The World, the Small Clone for pre-IU songs and an EHX Polychorus/Echoflange (depending on which one was working at the time) for In Utero songs.

For Bleach and In Utero the amps were Fender Twins, for Nevermind it was a Mesa-Boogie Preamp into a Crown Power Amp.
I've never understood why people call the DS-1 a piece of shit. It's a solid distortion that you can get for basically nothing. It's better than the crappy chinese made Proco Rats you get nowadays by a long shot.
Quote by pinheadslts75
First thing: The Double Muff Overdrive isn't really going to get that kind of a sound. What you should honestly get is a Proco Rat because the DS-1 is a piece of shit.

Now your Nirvana history lesson:

In the Bleach era Kurt used a DS-1 (a Rat and an MXR Distortion+ have been pictured as well). In the Nevermind era, he used an EHX Small Clone and eventually swapped the DS-1 for a DS-2. In the In Utero era he used a Tech 21 Sansamp Classic, a DS-2 for The Man Who Sold The World, the Small Clone for pre-IU songs and an EHX Polychorus/Echoflange (depending on which one was working at the time) for In Utero songs.

For Bleach and In Utero the amps were Fender Twins, for Nevermind it was a Mesa-Boogie Preamp into a Crown Power Amp.

He used a Twin for In Utero?! I love the In Utero tone and I have a friend that has an old Twin. Sansamp classic you say?

+(DS)1, you just gotta know how to use it.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 29, 2013,
Yeah, Sansamp Classic. A bit expensive but it's a really neat pedal. Lots of tones you can get out of it.
Quote by iwannabesedated
Yeah, Sansamp Classic. A bit expensive but it's a really neat pedal. Lots of tones you can get out of it.

PM me if you're ever in Cleveland and wanna jam, it'd be cool to jam with a fellow UG'er.
Quote by lucky1978
PM me if you're ever in Cleveland and wanna jam, it'd be cool to jam with a fellow UG'er.

I am occasionally in Cleveland, although not often.
Quote by iwannabesedated
I am occasionally in Cleveland, although not often.

Cool, I have a few amps (budget amps, that is) or there's a few guitar shops/GC's that I'm close enough to throw a rock at if you're in town.