Does anyone have any experience being an instructor? Do you need to have any sort of exceptional skills that you must demonstrate or need to play any full length songs to demonstrate your proficiency?

How do you really get the job and what is it like? Do you just teach from a book GC's way?
We've carefully selected the most qualified and well-respected instructors to teach at Guitar Center Studios and they are perfect whether you are just learning to play or want to advance your skills to become a master musician. Beyond having celebrated careers playing with some of the biggest names and bands in the business, every instructor is personable, patient and well educated - often with advanced degrees in music from renowned colleges. Of course, all Pro Tools instructors are Avid certified.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Yeah, while you're at it why don't you apply to be a Healthy Eating Lecturer at McDonalds
🙈 🙉 🙊
Playing guitar and teaching guitar are two vastly different things.

I can play a guitar all day long, but I would have no idea how to effectively communicate to someone else how to do it.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Do they expect you to know to read music very proficiently...? Or just how it basically works and to read VERY VERY Basic rhythms?

Do they ever hire people without gigging experience or teaching experience and just people that claim to be self taught with enough knowledge to be able to effectively teach?
Quote by Kyleisthename
We've carefully selected the most qualified and well-respected instructors to teach at Guitar Center Studios and they are perfect whether you are just learning to play or want to advance your skills to become a master musician. Beyond having celebrated careers playing with some of the biggest names and bands in the business, every instructor is personable, patient and well educated - often with advanced degrees in music from renowned colleges. Of course, all Pro Tools instructors are Avid certified.

Translation: If you have to ask, you're underqualified.

Not that you'd want to work for GC anyway though.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by Unreal T
Do they expect you to know to read music very proficiently...? Or just how it basically works and to read VERY VERY Basic rhythms?

Do they ever hire people without gigging experience or teaching experience and just people that claim to be self taught with enough knowledge to be able to effectively teach?

I work as a guitar teacher, not having experience isnt a huge thing for your first job but not being able to read at a intermediate level or improvise well and not knowing theory and stuff like that isn't going to come off good.

They will most likely pick somebody with better qualifications to cover there ass.

I myself have a music diploma so that kind of outweighs the no experience thing initially.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at Aug 2, 2013,
My post was a direct quote from their website.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
My post was a direct quote from their website.

Yeah I was a bit confused there
I teach guitar freelance.
Because most guitar shops don't pay instructors shit.
At least around here.
They may charge the students $35hr, but the instructors get like 1/3 of that, if that.
Quote by CodeMonk
I teach guitar freelance.
Because most guitar shops don't pay instructors shit.
At least around here.
They may charge the students $35hr, but the instructors get like 1/3 of that, if that.

But Guitar Center pays you to just hang around. Like if you have two one hour long lessons, you can hang around for another two hours and play guitar and they pay you. Plus benefits and employee discounts.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
But Guitar Center pays you to just hang around. Like if you have two one hour long lessons, you can hang around for another two hours and play guitar and they pay you. Plus benefits and employee discounts.

No,

The job is most likely commission based just like all the other jobs at Guitar Center.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by necrosis1193
Translation: If you have to ask, you're underqualified.

Not that you'd want to work for GC anyway though.

I worked at GC for a year. It was fun.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Spoony_Bard
I worked at GC for a year. It was fun.

can't pay the bills with fun though, amirite?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
You can with all the discounts you get. The difference between what a item is sold for from the store cost is criminal. My best friend works for GC and he buys me all sorts of things under his discount and I just throw him a extra 20 bucks or so to pad his pocket.
Quote by JAHellraiser
can't pay the bills with fun though, amirite?

I was still in school at the time, so it was part time. Many of the salespeople made pretty good coin, though.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Unreal T
Does anyone have any experience being an instructor? Do you need to have any sort of exceptional skills that you must demonstrate or need to play any full length songs to demonstrate your proficiency?

How do you really get the job and what is it like? Do you just teach from a book GC's way?

Skills?

Being able to teach. Playing ability comes afterward.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
honestly dude. guitar center is balls. my boyfriend worked there for like 2 years and hated it and he's obsessed with music and playing. it's how they run it that is balls.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝